Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yosemite is rumored from the locals to have received 15+ inches of rain in the last couple days with more to come, the Merced and numerous other gold bearing rivers and creeks in the area are raging, absolutely raging. I've been here for 5 years and haven't seen anything like it.

It has been 20 years since it was like this.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Time to go back and check my lucky hole in one nugget trap!

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice and dry down here. :(

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and yet they will still say we are in a drought lol

drought has more to do wih the snowpack and water table. Most of the water we're getting is just going out to the ocean.

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 1400191

This is a "little" creek that feeds into Don Pedro lake. Rarely is it more than a trickle. I took this from probably 4-500 feet away. She is absolutely raging. I can't imagine the gold being moved. One slip and fall into that thing and you're done!

Sorry for sideways shot, I'll get the hang of it soon hopefully

Here ya go...

buddies creek.JPG

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I worry about my friends out in N. Columbia and N. San Juan. not to mention the folks I don't know in Washington and Graniteville.
here's a local webpage with a shot of the 49'er bridge over the south fork:
State Park at South Yuba Bridge unsafe after storm, closure imminent | YubaNet
doesn't look as bad as the 97 flood pictures I saw, but there's more to come over the next couple of days.
hope they all safe.

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
I'm in Grass Valley, and this rain is destroying my mobile home! I got a leaky roof., and even with tarps all over its still leaking
and causing damage! The insurer denied my claim, said the roof is old.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Of course they had no problem taking his money! Insurance companies, doctors, lawyers and politicians all have a license to steal.

After talking to "The other Jeff" on the phone today I think that Cali had better batten down the hatches, load the women and children in the life boats and let the Guv go down with the ship!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NorCal Rains 2017

NorCal Rains,
The USGS water flow data chart shows that about midnight of the morning of the 9th the NFAR peaked at 45,000 CFS and then slowly fell back down. This morning shows the flow curve heading back up, how far will it go????

The pictures of the "usually dry" creek shown above depict a Raging White Water Death Trap with very large waves capable of moving and or undermining anything in its path and this is a 'Creek'. As the storm continues feeding creeks & rivers these drainages will be changed dramatically and the damage to man made objects, roads/bridges/buildings, will likely be significant.

One must also consider that any small water traps will also be swollen with water, water traps like mountain trails. Any foot travel that has cut between trail switchbacks will, during this storm, be prone to washing out sections of the trail and that is why folks should use the trail and not make shortcuts. Things will be different out in our zones of investigation, I expect some trails to be damaged if not washed away. Any landmarks we've used along the rivers may very well be gone when our season starts back up. We will need to be careful to insure we have safe footing as just about everything will have been moved and could be unstable.

It will be interesting to see the effects of all of this rain as Stuff has been moved!....................63bkpkr

PICT0004.JPG March 1974 3 days in the rain: Green Valley Trail on the high bank, Alta side of the NFAR. Taken under a clear plastic tarp so contrasts are quite nice. The river was running strong and we never got any closer to it than the outer edge of the river. Just to the left of this picture is the grassy spot with the spring bubbling up out of the ground.

Last edited:

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm always torn on this stuff. Part of me is like, FINALLY some real weather. The other half is sad for the damages to private property and lives. Still pretty dry in SoCal. The last time we had real weather must have been 10+ years ago now. I remember it well. My folks were in New Jersey I was alone at the house. It had been raining for days. I ended up having to grab the broom and a flashlight to sweep water around the corner of our house. The drains had been overwhelmed and our backyard was flooding. This was at 3am in the morning. I ended up taking a cap off an outlet that's part of the pool drainage that opened up a fresh unencumbered drain which pevented our house from being flooded. I know that if I had not woke up in the middle of that storm, our first floor, like the first floor of several of our neighbors would of been flooded. My dad invested heavily into the drainage of our backyard the following summer. Wish I had the pictures. Our street was a river, as it sits in the valley where to canyons drain into. Sewer systems overwhelmed. Water just raging down. People who forgot to move their cars into their driveways looked like rapids with tree and debree stuck to them as the silty water drained from the canyons.

I remember another serious stormm not sure if it was in the 80's or 90's. Bunch of stupid SoCal kids died when they thre innertubes into the raging creek.

Stay safe up there if you're not going to share the water ;)

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
NorCal Rains,
The USGS water flow data chart shows that about midnight of the morning of the 9th the NFAR peaked at 45,000 CFS and then slowly fell back down. This morning shows the flow curve heading back up, how far will it go????

I was told the NFAR had reached above 60,000 CFS.

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crazy weather up north for sure. Lake Tahoe is already up over a foot this year.

Life glitters more than gold! Safety 1st for those who take the risk. Live long and prosper later is probably best in the end.

Down here in the concrete jungles weather really isn't a issue so far....At least in my area.

OP
OP
SchoolOfHardRocks

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
Im hoping that the river levels drop on saturday -the storm ends on thursday. If so, ill be out looking for some flood gold in an area ive known to produce pretty well. Cant wait to revisit some old sniping spots this summer that may have replenished.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They put a story on the local news channel here in Fresno about the local prospecting club talking about the gold prospecting when everything calms down being good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread