Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was able to get out to a couple places the weekend before last. Haven't had a chance to post because of some personal commitments this week with the death of my father.
The first place was a new spot a friend showed me and my brother. There was a stone spring house and a small depression where we think an old cabin stood. Not much in the ground though. Coins were almost non existent - just a Shield nickel and an 1897 Indian head. I did find my best Conestoga bell. There was also a hint that the guy that lived there served in the Civil War as I found a coat sized Artillery button and my brother found a Civil War knapsack hook. At another site where the farmer just cut his beans I came up with a weird copper that some genius turned the edges up somehow. I can see a bit of a wreath on one side, maybe a Draped Bust? I also got a piece of petrified wood at this place.

A nice Conestoga Bell. It still had the clapper in it, but it fell out during cleaning.
IMG_20211023_192105632.jpg

IMG_20211023_192115131.jpg

IMG_20211025_185645611~2.jpg

Two Civil War relics from the old cabin site.
IMG_20211031_143100938~2.jpg

IMG_20211024_102250754~2.jpg

Petrified Wood
IMG_20211031_143204488~2.jpg

This and that

IMG_20211031_143022155~2.jpg

That and this (aka Junk)
IMG_20211031_143337189~2.jpg

Not sure what to make of this copper. You can just see a bit of a wreath.
IMG_20211031_161204167~2.jpg

IMG_20211031_161212362~2.jpg

Upvote 20
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds ,and I am sorry for your loss , I see we all have that same sorrow , Time will heal and we all become a little stronger. My Condolences to you and your family ,God Bless.
Thanks CD. We all get a turn at this. Thanks again for the reply.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Steve, I like that bell. Sorry to hear about the loss of your father.
Thanks TH. I had been expecting that phone call for a while, but it's still a shock when you get it.

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry for your loss. Cherish your memories.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was lucky my Dad made it to 88. He struggled this last year..
Hey Steve, I'm sorry too. That is one tough pill to swallow. Heck I had a big thread on here back 2014 when my dog died. Anyway my dad is 88 too. He said last Christmas he was having all of his kids over, (during covid restrictions) as he thought he might not see another one. He's still here but getting weaker, and ..."less smart" at an ever increasing pace. In his 70's he was tougher than, and could out-work most 20 year olds.

Anyway again, nice bell, I only have one of those complete, and one with a small piece missing, compared to dozens of crotal bells. The petrified wood, not arguing, cause I'm just looking at a picture, but if I found that I'd probably think it was agate.

You might have guessed, I haven't been out much in the last three years, since I quit selling detectors. Between having hunted everything I could think of in a bicycle radius, and the covid thing, where I expect most people are less receptive to strangers knocking on their door. No I haven't been out.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Steve, I'm sorry too. That is one tough pill to swallow. Heck I had a big thread on here back 2014 when my dog died. Anyway my dad is 88 too. He said last Christmas he was having all of his kids over, (during covid restrictions) as he thought he might not see another one. He's still here but getting weaker, and ..."less smart" at an ever increasing pace. In his 70's he was tougher than, and could out-work most 20 year olds.

Anyway again, nice bell, I only have one of those complete, and one with a small piece missing, compared to dozens of crotal bells. The petrified wood, not arguing, cause I'm just looking at a picture, but if I found that I'd probably think it was agate.

You might have guessed, I haven't been out much in the last three years, since I quit selling detectors. Between having hunted everything I could think of in a bicycle radius, and the covid thing, where I expect most people are less receptive to strangers knocking on their door. No I haven't been out.
Thanks Rick. It sounds like you Dad is going down the same path as mine. He really struggled mentally and physically this last year.
I have found I believe three of these type bells and the other two were some type of copper alloy where this one is bell metal. As for the petrified wood, my brother, a geologist by degree, has been collecting it off this farm for years. Hear are a few of my specimens.
Pet Wood - all.jpg

And my biggest piece
Big Piece.jpg

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was able to get out to a couple places the weekend before last. Haven't had a chance to post because of some personal commitments this week with the death of my father.
The first place was a new spot a friend showed me and my brother. There was a stone spring house and a small depression where we think an old cabin stood. Not much in the ground though. Coins were almost non existent - just a Shield nickel and an 1897 Indian head. I did find my best Conestoga bell. There was also a hint that the guy that lived there served in the Civil War as I found a coat sized Artillery button and my brother found a Civil War knapsack hook. At another site where the farmer just cut his beans I came up with a weird copper that some genius turned the edges up somehow. I can see a bit of a wreath on one side, maybe a Draped Bust? I also got a piece of petrified wood at this place.

A nice Conestoga Bell. It still had the clapper in it, but it fell out during cleaning.
View attachment 1988396
View attachment 1988397

View attachment 1988398
Two Civil War relics from the old cabin site.
View attachment 1988399
View attachment 1988405
Petrified Wood
View attachment 1988417
This and that

View attachment 1988429
That and this (aka Junk)
View attachment 1988430
Not sure what to make of this copper. You can just see a bit of a wreath.
View attachment 1988432
View attachment 1988433
sweet finds, love that bell. wtg

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for the petrified wood, my brother, a geologist by degree, has been collecting it off this farm for years. Hear are a few of my specimens
Turns out they are the same thing, from this site https://oregondiscovery.com/petrified-wood
"
There are other names that used for petrified wood:

• Opalized wood - the original structure was replaced by opal
  • Agatized wood - the wood, cell by cell, has been replaced by chalcedony, jasper, or agate
  • Silicified wood - the cellular structure of the wood has been replaced by any form of silica, including opal and agate."
Yeah we find similar stuff here on the North Mountain, around the Bay of Fundy.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turns out they are the same thing, from this site https://oregondiscovery.com/petrified-wood
"
There are other names that used for petrified wood:

• Opalized wood - the original structure was replaced by opal
  • Agatized wood - the wood, cell by cell, has been replaced by chalcedony, jasper, or agate
  • Silicified wood - the cellular structure of the wood has been replaced by any form of silica, including opal and agate."
Yeah we find similar stuff here on the North Mountain, around the Bay of Fundy.
Thanks Rick. Mine would then fall into the agatized category.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread