Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was able to get out to a couple places the weekend before last. Haven't had a chance to post because of some personal commitments this week with the death of my father.
The first place was a new spot a friend showed me and my brother. There was a stone spring house and a small depression where we think an old cabin stood. Not much in the ground though. Coins were almost non existent - just a Shield nickel and an 1897 Indian head. I did find my best Conestoga bell. There was also a hint that the guy that lived there served in the Civil War as I found a coat sized Artillery button and my brother found a Civil War knapsack hook. At another site where the farmer just cut his beans I came up with a weird copper that some genius turned the edges up somehow. I can see a bit of a wreath on one side, maybe a Draped Bust? I also got a piece of petrified wood at this place.

A nice Conestoga Bell. It still had the clapper in it, but it fell out during cleaning.
IMG_20211023_192105632.jpg

IMG_20211023_192115131.jpg

IMG_20211025_185645611~2.jpg

Two Civil War relics from the old cabin site.
IMG_20211031_143100938~2.jpg

IMG_20211024_102250754~2.jpg

Petrified Wood
IMG_20211031_143204488~2.jpg

This and that

IMG_20211031_143022155~2.jpg

That and this (aka Junk)
IMG_20211031_143337189~2.jpg

Not sure what to make of this copper. You can just see a bit of a wreath.
IMG_20211031_161204167~2.jpg

IMG_20211031_161212362~2.jpg

Upvote 20

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was able to get out to a couple places the weekend before last. Haven't had a chance to post because of some personal commitments this week with the death of my father.
The first place was a new spot a friend showed me and my brother. There was a stone spring house and a small depression where we think an old cabin stood. Not much in the ground though. Coins were almost non existent - just a Shield nickel and an 1897 Indian head. I did find my best Conestoga bell. There was also a hint that the guy that lived there served in the Civil War as I found a coat sized Artillery button and my brother found a Civil War knapsack hook. At another site where the farmer just cut his beans I came up with a weird copper that some genius turned the edges up somehow. I can see a bit of a wreath on one side, maybe a Draped Bust? I also got a piece of petrified wood at this place.

A nice Conestoga Bell. It still had the clapper in it, but it fell out during cleaning.
View attachment 1988396
View attachment 1988397

View attachment 1988398
View attachment 1988399
View attachment 1988405
Petrified Wood
View attachment 1988417
This and that

View attachment 1988429
That and this (aka Junk)
View attachment 1988430
View attachment 1988432
View attachment 1988433
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

View attachment 1988396
View attachment 1988397

View attachment 1988398
View attachment 1988399
View attachment 1988405
Petrified Wood
View attachment 1988417
This and that

View attachment 1988429
That and this (aka Junk)
View attachment 1988430
View attachment 1988432
View attachment 1988433
Prayers to you and your family on the loss of your father. That is certainly a tough time in ones life.
Congratulations on your finds. It looks like you had a couple awesome hunts! Awesome copper and bell!!

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm very sorry about your father. That's a tremendous loss. When my father died in 1999 at 85 I couldn't believe it. I felt like he should live forever after such an amazing life and service during WW2, Korea, and Vietnam. Dad's are super heroes.
Was your father a metal detectorist as well?

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds Steve.

Sorry to hear about your Dad. I lost mine at the age of 29. Got up one day shook him he was gone.

Took me a good 5 yrs to get myself right again. Try and keep busy about the best thing you can do during tough times.

Jeremy

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I offer my Condolences to you and your family also in the loss of your Father. Fathers as said, are Truly Heroes. Congrat's to you and your brother on some very nice saves of the Civil War relics. I really like the bell and the Eagle A' button. All great artifacts. Stay at this site. There's bound to be more where these were found, and the fact that a CW veteran once lived here, there's a good chance more relics are there just waiting to be saved. Continued Success to yall.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks FF. Out of 100 people that have looked at this thread so far, you are the only one to express condolences.
Condolences 🙏 to you and your family Steve.
I guess either folks don't read, or care it seems.:dontknow:
Still you managed some mice recoveries.

Always love digging the bells, makes any hunt.
Weird looking copper with the wreath.
To me there seems to be a right facing image also.
The edging is so beat I wondering if it was used for gaming, or for another purpose.

Colonial Digger

May 6, 2019
illinois
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds ,and I am sorry for your loss , I see we all have that same sorrow , Time will heal and we all become a little stronger. My Condolences to you and your family ,God Bless.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 1988396
View attachment 1988397

View attachment 1988398
View attachment 1988399
View attachment 1988405
Petrified Wood
View attachment 1988417
This and that

View attachment 1988429
That and this (aka Junk)
View attachment 1988430
View attachment 1988432
View attachment 1988433

View attachment 1988396
View attachment 1988397

View attachment 1988398
View attachment 1988399
View attachment 1988405
Petrified Wood
View attachment 1988417
This and that

View attachment 1988429
That and this (aka Junk)
View attachment 1988430
View attachment 1988432
View attachment 1988433
Nice finds! Sweet bell. Congrats

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sorry to hear of your loss, Steve. It seems trivial to mention your finds, but I think that distraction is okay and maybe even necessary for coping with grief. So, congratulations on the finds. In the coming months, I hope you're able to get out and detect when you feel like you need to.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm very sorry about your father. That's a tremendous loss. When my father died in 1999 at 85 I couldn't believe it. I felt like he should live forever after such an amazing life and service during WW2, Korea, and Vietnam. Dad's are super heroes.
Was your father a metal detectorist as well?
Thanks Gene. My father was Korean War veteran and a active volunteer firefighter for 58 years, but never a metal detectorist.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Steve.

Sorry to hear about your Dad. I lost mine at the age of 29. Got up one day shook him he was gone.

Took me a good 5 yrs to get myself right again. Try and keep busy about the best thing you can do during tough times.

Jeremy
Thanks Jeremy, I was lucky my Dad made it to 88. He struggled this last year but he died peacefully in his bed. The Ligonier Fire Department really steppe up for his ceremony. They took him to the cemetery in a antique 1927 La France fire truck,
Flag.jpeg

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I offer my Condolences to you and your family also in the loss of your Father. Fathers as said, are Truly Heroes. Congrat's to you and your brother on some very nice saves of the Civil War relics. I really like the bell and the Eagle A' button. All great artifacts. Stay at this site. There's bound to be more where these were found, and the fact that a CW veteran once lived here, there's a good chance more relics are there just waiting to be saved. Continued Success to yall.
Thanks devildog. I will be returning to this hilly, rocky, mountain cabin once the frost and snow kill the brush and the stinging nettles.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry to hear of your loss, Steve. It seems trivial to mention your finds, but I think that distraction is okay and maybe even necessary for coping with grief. So, congratulations on the finds. In the coming months, I hope you're able to get out and detect when you feel like you need to.
Thanks LS. Yes my finds are trivial in the grand scheme of things. I do a lot of my detecting from my parents 50 miles east of the city of Pittsburgh. As soon as I would get home he would ask, so whatcha find? When they wrote an article about me in Western & Eastern Treasures back in 2007 or 08, he was so proud he bought me a new metal detector of my choice with no price limit.

RichsEquinox

Jan 20, 2021
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for your loss. Detecting is a good way to keep the mind occupied during these tough times. Those are some nice finds and relics. Condolences to you and your family

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve, praying for you and your family during this severe mercy.

Your finds were a treasure indeed.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for your loss. Detecting is a good way to keep the mind occupied during these tough times. Those are some nice finds and relics. Condolences to you and your family
Thanks Rich. I plan to get out this weekend and hope my father will steer me over something good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread