Nice Draped Half Cent .. my first!

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this nice 1804 draped bust half cent this past weekend in the woods about 75 yards from a filled in cellar hole. I was expecting a bottle cap or something similar, as the tone was kind of loud and the VDI was showing at 23 or 24 on the Equinox. I was really psyched to see it was a coin, and right before it started pouring out. The year this coin was minted, Thomas Jefferson was reelected, Lewis and Clark began their expedition west, and Alexander Hamilton was killed in a duel. Happy hunting and good luck out there.

Attachments

• 3F5479FE-6A46-4FD2-8D7F-DA35B01386B6.jpeg
    3F5479FE-6A46-4FD2-8D7F-DA35B01386B6.jpeg
    299.5 KB · Views: 149
  • 10CA0294-C5CC-43A0-9932-64E6EEF0AB5F.jpeg
    10CA0294-C5CC-43A0-9932-64E6EEF0AB5F.jpeg
    292.6 KB · Views: 104
Upvote 33

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this nice 1804 draped bust half cent this past weekend in the woods about 75 yards from a filled in cellar hole. I was expecting a bottle cap or something similar, as the tone was kind of loud and the VDI was showing at 23 or 24 on the Equinox. I was really psyched to see it was a coin, and right before it started pouring out. The year this coin was minted, Thomas Jefferson was reelected, Lewis and Clark began their expedition west, and Alexander Hamilton was killed in a duel. Happy hunting and good luck out there.
That’s a great coin! Never found a draped. It’s on my bucket list for sure!

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well go figure : You're in MA on the east coast. Where LC's and half-cents and colonial coppers are in every sandbox over there. What else did you expect ? :tongue3:
😁 LOL! Massachusetts has some old soil, that’s for sure. Still, coins this old are pretty rare for me. I guess the trick is to get permission to the right sandbox around here. Thanks for the comments.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well go figure : You're in MA on the east coast. Where LC's and half-cents and colonial coppers are in every sandbox over there. What else did you expect ? :tongue3:
All you do is complain about us East Coasters. You have probably found as many gold coins as I've found half cents :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:
Half Cents.jpg

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first, it's a nice one. And I guarantee it won't be your last :thumbsup:

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome coin find...:icon_thumright:

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sweet find and great save, wtg

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on your 1804 Half Cent find my friend. :thumbsup:
For a coin that's 217 years old, that one is in decent shape.

The snow is coming... I'm working in Central Ontario this week and we had snow here yesterday.
Dave

Attachments

• Collingwood Ontario.jpg
    Collingwood Ontario.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 25

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great coin. Your 1804 is the same year as the one (and only) that I found here in Illinois about 10 years ago. That is a very tough coin to find in Illinois, and yours is in much better shape than mine. Mine came out of a farmers field, but had enough detail to where I could see the date.

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your 1804 Half Cent find my friend. :thumbsup:
For a coin that's 217 years old, that one is in decent shape.

The snow is coming... I'm working in Central Ontario this week and we had snow here yesterday.
Dave
Thanks Dave! I don’t find many coppers, especially ones with detail remaining. I haven’t seen a post from you in a while; hope that changes soon, though the snow won’t help, I suppose. That snow scene photo is very nice, though I am not looking forward to the winter myself. Thanks again … steve

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a great coin. Your 1804 is the same year as the one (and only) that I found here in Illinois about 10 years ago. That is a very tough coin to find in Illinois, and yours is in much better shape than mine. Mine came out of a farmers field, but had enough detail to where I could see the date.
Thanks! I think it is tough enough finding one around here, but I suspect it is even more so in Illinois. Good luck out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread