fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took my wife antiquing today and we stopped at a shop in a small town. I struck up a conversation with the owner and after talking for a while he asked if I would like to see his advertising room that was closed to the public. I said sure, so he walked me to the next shop, unlocked the door and told me to look all I wanted. While I was overwhelmed by the amount of advertising memorabilia he had a baseball bat sized wooden piece got my attention and I asked him about it. I already knew what i was but wanted to hear his take on it. He told me he found it in an old barn the next town over and from what he had learned, it was called a Dawson blank. And that is what it was. I had one in my possession some years back but the original owner asked me to return it so he could donate it to the local museum. That was the agreement we made when we traded so I returned it to him and he gave back my stoneware grave marker.
I asked him if it was something he would sale and he said he would have to check with his wife so he took the blank and walked back next door. I turned to my wife and said I was going to buy it if I could afford to.
A few minutes later he walked back in and had a price sticker attached to it. When he showed me the price I almost fainted! He then said he would take a little less and I couldn't get the money out of my wallet fast enough. I won't reveal the price here but suffice to say it was less than a quarter of what I was prepared to pay!
This blank is for a Confederate rifle made at the Dawson Armory in Dawson, Ga. and will make a great addition to my "Man Room"!

Attachments

• 20211009_180710.jpg
    20211009_180710.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 227
  • 20211009_180722.jpg
    20211009_180722.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 157
Upvote 18

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It,s dang sure pretty,I like obscure wood pieces.Great find and way to be on the ball when an opportunity presents itself.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure on the wood but it doesn't have a bad smell to it. It hardly smells at all. I would think it is a local wood but it could have been shipped in. The Armory that made it was open from early 1864 until the end of the war and only produced about 3,600 muskets and carbines.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The stock is 36"s long and 2"s wide. The fore end from top to bottom is about 1.5"s and the butt is 4.5"s tall. It weighs 3 pounds, 1.5 ounces. Here are a few more pictures. The grain is very straight with one minor "knot" on one side of the fore arm. Remember, this piece is around 156 years old.
One other thing that I just remembered is the Armory in north Georgia was moved here to south west Georgia to keep it safe from the invading Yankees. So. the wood mayhave come with it.

Attachments

• stock 3.jpg
    stock 3.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 88
  • stock 4.jpg
    stock 4.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 94
  • stock 5.jpg
    stock 5.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 86
  • stock 6.jpg
    stock 6.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 89
OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took this piece to a good friend today who just happens to own and run a saw mill. His opinion is that the stock is walnut.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read two articles on the Dawson Armory. In one they said walnut was used but the second stated cherry.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the walnut and cherry I,ve ever seen was darker than that wood and walnut has a tighter grain.Not to say I couldn,t be wrong,I very well could be since I,ve not seen all the walnut or cherry in the US.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took my wife antiquing today and we stopped at a shop in a small town. I struck up a conversation with the owner and after talking for a while he asked if I would like to see his advertising room that was closed to the public. I said sure, so he walked me to the next shop, unlocked the door and told me to look all I wanted. While I was overwhelmed by the amount of advertising memorabilia he had a baseball bat sized wooden piece got my attention and I asked him about it. I already knew what i was but wanted to hear his take on it. He told me he found it in an old barn the next town over and from what he had learned, it was called a Dawson blank. And that is what it was. I had one in my possession some years back but the original owner asked me to return it so he could donate it to the local museum. That was the agreement we made when we traded so I returned it to him and he gave back my stoneware grave marker.
I asked him if it was something he would sale and he said he would have to check with his wife so he took the blank and walked back next door. I turned to my wife and said I was going to buy it if I could afford to.
A few minutes later he walked back in and had a price sticker attached to it. When he showed me the price I almost fainted! He then said he would take a little less and I couldn't get the money out of my wallet fast enough. I won't reveal the price here but suffice to say it was less than a quarter of what I was prepared to pay!
This blank is for a Confederate rifle made at the Dawson Armory in Dawson, Ga. and will make a great addition to my "Man Room"!
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread