Nickel found while metal detecting

Kevinrose.1

Jul 13, 2017
Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this nickel on a pkayground trying out my first metal detector. (Outside my yard) Anything of value of just a nickel? IMAG1125.jpg
IMAG1126.jpg

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice first find, congratulations! :icon_thumleft:

Practice and learn your machine; your keeper finds will increase. :headbang:

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the first of many, keep swinging and learning your machine!:icon_thumleft:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep digging those nickel range targets.... that’s where the gold is.

gunntekk1

Mar 19, 2005
Newport PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 and ACE 250, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
none. the mint never minted a nickel nor did they mint a penny, only 5 cent and one cent pieces.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, it was struck with a Misaligned Obverse Die (MAD Error), so it may be worth a premium to Collectors that collect such Errors even if it was dug.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, a bit off-center strike. Might bring a slight premium, but, not much.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Kevin, just keep swinging. Over time you'll be amazed at what you accumulate in finds. If ya really get hooked you'll be getting a tumbler to clean the clad to spend, an ultra-sonic cleaner for the jewelry, and you'll set up an electrolysis bucket to get the rust off. Then of course there's the precious metals test kits, the scales, and lot's of other things.

I've been out many times finding only one penny or two for streaks at a time.

And then there comes something very delightful. All it takes is getting out and doing it.

OP
OP
K

Kevinrose.1

Jul 13, 2017
Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. always get good advice and info here. As for the coin. i added it to my kids collection after being offered $30 from local coin gallery. Pretty sure i found a new hobby. Pleasant day to all. Thanks.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Super first find. Like BigWaveDave said, gold and lots of other stuff fall in that range. Good luck.
asset (2).jpeg

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks guys. always get good advice and info here. As for the coin. i added it to my kids collection after being offered $30 from local coin gallery. Pretty sure i found a new hobby. Pleasant day to all. Thanks.
Wow, $30? Was the value determined by a mint error?

OP
OP
K

Kevinrose.1

Jul 13, 2017
Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The guy at the gallery didnt say much other that a die error and he said " I can offer you $30" i said im going to keep. just wanted to know about it. He replied " they are pretty common. Just depends on how/where obtained and condition." Kind of shyish quiet guy but he was nice. Picked my son up a 1oz silver bar for him too. only cost $18. So not bad price for that either.

EastCoastmetal

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2016
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice find! The guy was being generous offering $30. Better condition errors of that type on the Jefferson Nickel can go for much less.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions