NIFCs

Hinterlander

Dec 28, 2016
AZ
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of a newbie here. Just getting opinions on NIFCs. I have been keeping most of the NIFCs that I get out of boxes of halves, but they're starting to stack up. What is everyone else doing with them?

My thought is that since the majority of them are probably still in their original mint set, the ones that I'm collecting are going to be lower grade and not really worth the effort, or safe space. For example, the 34 year old 1987's that I'm holding onto are selling on Ebay for at best $2 - $3. I'm thinking that I'll put together a couple sets for my kids and put the rest back into play.

Upvote 2

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of a newbie here. Just getting opinions on NIFCs. I have been keeping most of the NIFCs that I get out of boxes of halves, but they're starting to stack up. What is everyone else doing with them?

My thought is that since the majority of them are probably still in their original mint set, the ones that I'm collecting are going to be lower grade and not really worth the effort, or safe space. For example, the 34 year old 1987's that I'm holding onto are selling on Ebay for at best $2 - $3. I'm thinking that I'll put together a couple sets for my kids and put the rest back into play.
This is not a criticism,so don,t take it so.For the benefit of all of us who don,t know the nomenclature of coins and such,please let us know what such as NIFC means,at least in your first post.it will help immensely in our search for knowledge.Thanks very much.

OP
OP
H

Hinterlander

Dec 28, 2016
AZ
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My apologies. As Badkharma stated, NIFC stands for "Not Intended For Circulation". In the terms of Kennedy half dollars this is any coin dated 1987 or 2002 and later (excluding 2021). As during these years the mint only minted them for collectors in mint sets and not for general circulation.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My apologies. As Badkharma stated, NIFC stands for "Not Intended For Circulation". In the terms of Kennedy half dollars this is any coin dated 1987 or 2002 and later (excluding 2021). As during these years the mint only minted them for collectors in mint sets and not for general circulation.
Thank you very much.that is info I,m glad to have.Good luck to you,sir!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread