Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Gang,
I picked up this 1995 penny today that doesn't have any copper plating except for some on the edge. The obverse is shiny zinc, where as the back is a darker zinc. The zinc color is much more vibrant and obvious in person than these photos project. It is thicker than a normal penny too.

From what I've read on the Internet, there are some zLincolns that have had the copper removed chemically (post mint basically as chemistry experiments), but those are pitted. The acid pits the zinc, but this one appears smooth. Has anyone ever heard of this type of mint error?

Thanks, :) Breezie

PennyNoCopper1.jpg .
PennyNoCopper2.jpg
PennyNoCopper3.jpg

Last edited:

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have one like that from the 1980s, I think.

Upvote 0

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strange find Breezie, Cool but strange.........................................HH

Upvote 0

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a few like this as well. The only thing that I could think of with yours and mine as well, is that it is either a mint error, or the more likely explanation is that the copper was removed through electrolysis. I posted a question on the "coins" forum a while back about it but could not come to a conclusion. Unfortunately I don't think there is any clear cut answer. The copper plating is such a small amount (2.5% I think) that it would not really register on a digital gram scale, I tried weighing some of mine and they were about the same as the normal copper plated cents of the same year. Sorry that I don't have the answer, but this has been my experience in dealing with these. I still hold on to all of them though...

Upvote 0

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio
There are different ways to change the color of pennies the easiest is to just heat them ,lay a penny on your hot wood burner for a while and it will turn a dark gray/silver color. The chemical way does not need to be done with acid and does not remove the copper but plates over it with zinc witch can then be converted to brass.

Gold and Silver Pennies - Chemistry Project

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Breezie

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for the replies and insight, and thanks diggummup for posting a pic of yours. I've looked at my penny very closely, and can't see where any chemicals were used because there is no pitting. There is no residue of copper on either side, only the edges. Also, I couldn't find a place where the penny had been held by a clip or tongs if placed in a chemical. Taz, if it were heated, would it change the diameter, and wouldn't the edges also change colors? :dontknow: The diameter of a penny is supposed to be 19.05. Breezie

PennyDiameter.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

garyo1954

Jan 4, 2013
Elkhart, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Breezie, that is an interesting penny.

The fact that it has a larger diameter, is heavier, and thicker indicates metal has been added to it.
Tong marks wouldn't be seen if it were held along the edge and as you say there is some copper there.

Here's a short video to show how it was done:

G

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Breezie

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Gary for your post and video; all of that makes sense! I'd mark this post solved, but because of a software glitch I can't do it, so if someone else could mark it 'solved,' I'd appreciate it. :) Breezie

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread