No idea what this is

Thilvern

Oct 16, 2021
No idea what this is. Was digging around and found this, and I didn't know where else to post. Isn't holding any version of the cross I've seen before, it seems to be just an upside down L. Has some daisy or lily flowers on the belt, and head must have gotten chopped off while I was digging. Seems relatively new, probably last 50 years. Inside is either quartz, marble, or more likely some sort of rock hard plastic. Has some silvery nail looking bits on the tunic on either side of it that go maybe 1/4 of the body. Would like some help identifying.

Attachments

• IMG_20211016_141617.jpg
    IMG_20211016_141617.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Upvote 6
OP
OP
T

Thilvern

Oct 16, 2021
No idea what this is. Was digging around and found this, and I didn't know where else to post. Isn't holding any version of the cross I've seen before, it seems to be just an upside down L. Has some daisy or lily flowers on the belt, and head must have gotten chopped off while I was digging. Seems relatively new, probably last 50 years. Inside is either quartz, marble, or more likely some sort of rock hard plastic. Has some silvery nail looking bits on the tunic on either side of it that go maybe 1/4 of the body. Would like some help identifyin
Ohh, thank you so much! Very interesting, as I just found this photo that says sears is selling this statue of st. joseph. Same thing but with colors inverted. Looked it up and said that people are burying them for good luck in selling a house, and I found it in my yard. Not being a religious person, I was wondering if those two saints were the same, and if I should rebury the figurine or not.

Attachments

• prod_17646025724.jpeg
    prod_17646025724.jpeg
    6.2 KB · Views: 33

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohh, thank you so much! Very interesting, as I just found this photo that says sears is selling this statue of st. joseph. Same thing but with colors inverted. Looked it up and said that people are burying them for good luck in selling a house, and I found it in my yard. Not being a religious person, I was wondering if those two saints were the same, and if I should rebury the figurine or not.
Well, they can call it St. Joseph but his symbol is in Christian icons is a Lily, not a square...it is definitely St. Thomas the Apostle. I don't think that there is any significance whatsoever in burying or reburying it. You could safely discard it without a scruple.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No idea what this is. Was digging around and found this, and I didn't know where
else to post. Isn't holding any version of the cross I've seen before, it seems to be just an upside down L. Has some daisy or lily flowers on the belt, and head must have gotten chopped off while I was digging. Seems relatively new, probably last 50 years. Inside is either quartz, marble, or more likely some sort of rock hard plastic. Has some silvery nail looking bits on the tunic on either side of it that go maybe 1/4 of the body. Would like some help identifying.
Congratulations on your beautiful recovery

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe I'm being too confident here...just read where St. Joseph is sometimes depicted with carpenter tools....so, it's either or.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having been a finish carpenter for a good part of my life I can assure you I,m intimately familiar with St. Thomas in his role as patron saint of builders.Some of the situations I,ve been called on to overcome very well might not have been conquered without his help!!!! St. Thomas it is!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe Sears have it right. Both St. Thomas the Apostle and St. Joseph have an association to the square. In Joseph’s case it’s a carpenter’s square since that was his profession and he has long been the patron Saint for that profession. However, I think only St. Joseph also has association with the lily.

This from the website of St. Joseph’s University in Philadlphia:

In 1955, an additional feast day was declared by Pope Pius IX and is celebrated on May 1 as the Feast of St. Joseph the Worker. This date is also International Workers’ Day and believed to reflect Joseph as the patron saint of workers. The statue in front of Barbelin Hall of St. Joseph the Worker was donated by students of The Evening School who studied in the evenings after work.

Symbols associated with Joseph include the carpenter's square and lily. The carpenter’s square not only symbolizes Joseph’s trade but also the concept of truth. The lily, which can also be seen in the Saint Joseph’s University logo over the letter J, represents purity and Joseph’s celibate marriage to the Virgin Mary.

Joseph is the patron saint of the Universal Church, families, fathers, expectant mothers, travelers, immigrants, house sellers and buyers, craftsmen, engineers and working people, among others. In the grotto behind the Chapel of Saint Joseph stands a statue of St. Joseph the Dreamer. Serving as a space for personal retreat, prayer and reflection, the grotto features a light that is always on.

https://www.sju.edu/news/10-facts-about-st-joseph-honor-his-feast-day

This is the statue referred to, with Joseph holding a huge square:

St Joseph.jpg

OP
OP
T

Thilvern

Oct 16, 2021
Thank you all! Very much helped me, whether it be St. Joseph or St. Thomas. I'll be on this site again, for sure, as my area is moderately well rooted in history, although I suppose this find was a lot more modern. :D

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A finds a find,St.Joseph or St.Thomas,I,ve needed a little divine help to solve some of the stuff I,ve been confronted with! Thank you RedCoat for once again setting things aright.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No idea what this is. Was digging around and found this, and I didn't know where else to post. Isn't holding any version of the cross I've seen before, it seems to be just an upside down L. Has some daisy or lily flowers on the belt, and head must have gotten chopped off while I was digging. Seems relatively new, probably last 50 years. Inside is either quartz, marble, or more likely some sort of rock hard plastic. Has some silvery nail looking bits on the tunic on either side of it that go maybe 1/4 of the body. Would like some help identifying.
🤷🏼‍♂️Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread