No More Gold Coins – Yet – but….

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in October, I posted where I found my first gold coin on the beach. Everyone said to go back to the area and keep looking for more, which I did this past weekend.

Unfortunately, no more gold coins – yet – but….

I was in the same area where I found the gold coin, about ten feet from the surf in dry sand, when I got a signal that was bouncing. It was going between 17 and 24, depending on where and the angle in which I was swinging my detector. I was in Beach Mode 1.

As usual, with my sand scoop, I dug a hole about 12” deep, pulling out about three scoops of sand and spreading the sand out so I could run my detector over it to see if I had captured what I was detecting. In the area of the third scoop, I got two signals, which I thought was a little strange. One was a random 17-18, and the other was 24.

So, I scooped up the sand and started shaking it out, when the small silver ring in the attached image came to the surface in the scoop. I was happy and started to just dump the rest of the sand out when I remembered the other signal, and thought there might just be something else. Some coins will hit in the 18 range, so I guess I figured what is a few more shakes of the scoop.

When I finished shaking out the rest of the sand, I look into my scoop and could not believe my eyes. There was a silver necklace with a nice size stone on it. The clasp was broken, so I figure it must have either gotten pulled off, or whoever lost it had placed it with the ring and they just forgot about them when they left. My initial thought, due to the size of the stone, is it was probably fake, costume jewelry. I mean who would wear something like this to the beach if it was real?!

I have waited a few days to post this as I did not know for sure just what I had. Upon examining the necklace closer when I got back home, I realized the clasp on the necklace had the name of well-known national jewelry store on it. So, I took the necklace to one of their stores and they cleaned it up.

The store found there was a GIA number on the stone and were able to look it up. They identified it as a very high quality, .92 carat diamond. They said that most of your better diamonds have what is called a GIA serial number on them to prove their authenticity. Also, the necklace chain was not silver, but white gold. They appraised the value at $5,100!!!

While they are able to look up the GIA number, they said they have no way of knowing who the diamond belongs to or who bought it. They also had nothing in their files or computers about anyone reporting it missing or lost. I have also checked with the police, the local lost and found, and even Facebook lost and found, and no one has reported it lost or missing. The police said to just keep it as the person who lost it has probably already put in an insurance claim on it. Since it was about 10” deep in the sand, I figure it has been there for a little while.

So, while I did not find another gold coin, I still struck gold. I cannot wait to go back to this beach again. In the meantime, I think I need to start buying lottery tickets.

Attachments

• IMG_1770r.jpg
    IMG_1770r.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1767r.jpg
    IMG_1767r.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 94
Upvote 11

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woooo hoooo !! Man your on a roll !! Congrats on the treasure !! Beautiful stuff....gold coins, white gold chain with diamond...and a ring too !!

OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I have to admit I bought a lottery ticket this week and won $1.00 !! Broke even.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread