No Nuts for 5,000 years!

Siwash

May 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0740 2.JPG IMG_0739.JPG

Found this large ten-pound nutting stone, N. Illinois, over the past weekend. Internet says this kind of artifact dates from the Archaic. Is this true?

Strange thing to me is that there's no good balance point to it; it doesn't sit flat. Found in the stream side.

Upvote 0

SportsmanAll

Mar 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t notice much pecking or ware marks, I may be wrong but it’s looking pretty natural to me....

OP
OP
S

Siwash

May 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eight holes and one grinding area on the rock. Round from grinding.

IMG_0743.JPG IMG_0742.JPG IMG_0741.JPG

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like an Omarolluk or Omar for short. I think it is natural.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SportsmanAll

Mar 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you said, the thing lacking is the ability to use it efficiently due to it not being flat or easy to work with. I’m not saying it doesn’t look really close, I’m just saying if I found it I would personally rule it as nothing.

OP
OP
S

Siwash

May 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deep non glacier grooves on one side, obvious grinds in a couple of holes, same rock material as Ohio nutting stone, I'm calling it a worktable.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Many times pitted stones are indeed work tables. And that’s because they are anvil stones, part of the toolkit for lithic bipolar production. Here are a couple of examples of anvil stones:

D45710F7-C125-4EB0-8397-26B416EFB981.png

38133C92-064A-4E33-A666-EA9F3CED3BC7.png

With nutting stones, in contrast, the pits are created first. With anvil stones, the pits result from usage. Nutting stones were apparently made with different size nuts in mind. The reason they are often interpreted as Archaic, at least here in the Northeast, is archaeologists have described what they call “Mast Forest Archaic”, where people made nuts from such trees a staple of their diet.

Here are a couple of nutting stones:

3F8B2DB5-7625-4556-8E77-9BB457BA0B9E.jpeg

The one thing that troubles me about the stone in this thread is that some pits are positioned in a way that would make it awkward, perhaps impossible, to allow the stone to lay flat for easy use as a nutting stone. The second photo in the initial comment illustrates that problem. Why would a nutting pit have to be positioned for use with the stone positioned on edge? Perhaps the pits are manmade, but, if so, it would seem to be a very inconvenient shaped stone for such usage. I guess it can’t be ruled out, as I see the “on edge” stone is upside down in the photo....

Last edited:

SportsmanAll

Mar 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deep non glacier grooves on one side, obvious grinds in a couple of holes, same rock material as Ohio nutting stone, I'm calling it a worktable.

Sounds good. Just giving you our opinions.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In certain SE Ohio counties there are creeks loaded with those type of stones. Also some overhang caves have those type of pock marks on their ceilings. Some of the pocks are quite large, others the size of a pencil and everything in between. I think the stone in this thread is natural. Charls post makes that clear.

OP
OP
S

Siwash

May 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The location suggests this; found buried at the edge of a small flowing creek. The creek is spring-fed, with a nearby 3-ft. bedrock "waterfall" (small, not the Niagara!). Different rock material than that nearby. The adjacent land has one or two other small creeks/streams flowing into a moderate size river; the land is undulating and would be/much is very wooded. The stone's holes aren't all regularly circular but the larger one has been mashed on in different ways. It's a fine-grained, harder stone.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I also noticed there isn’t a hole on your piece that shows any polish in the bottom.

just sayin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread