No pics....but PLEASE be sitting down for this.....

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
.....I am currently on beer #3 to dull the pain.......7:30am this morning I wanted to hit a spot that I had never done before.....(no small feat)...soooo, I decided to take a longer than usual ride to see what I could come up with......drove back country roads for about 50 minutes and actually got myself lost......all redneck roads come out somewhere so I continued driving North towards Vermont when as I take this corner I notice a guy detecting in the middle of this field (I never, ever run across anyone detecting around here, especially in the middle of nowhere-ville) and I can actually see from the road that he is using a White's detector (XLT)..... turned around and parked on the side of the road and started to walk out to the back of the field where he was.....I'm in the middle of the field and look to my right and see another guy standing near the trunk of their car (with his detector propped up against the car)....continue to walk towards the guy and he's looking at me kinda suspiciously......when I got close enough for him to hear me I said "any luck?".......he says "no, not really" (but the first thing I notice is that the carpenter's pouch around his waist is looking a little full of something ???) .......he then asks me if I am from the farmhouse up the road and I tell him no, I was just driving by and just wanted to see what was up and maybe chat a little because I also have an XLT......he then looks completely relieved and says " Oh, check this out".......with a big grin on his face......we walk towards the car that I saw his friend standing next to and he when we get there (200 yard walk) there, on the trunk lid of the car, lay 19 NEW JERSEY COLONIALS, and the first guy proceeds to pull 12 more NEW JERSEY COLONIALS out of his pouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(and an 1854 Seated dime with a hole in it)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These were ALL NJ Colonials, no Conn's, no Mass. not anything but NEW JERSEYS!!!!! ( I know because I looked at EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM!!!!!!!!)....and oh man they looked like they were gonna clean up SUPER NICE!!!!

HOLY FREAKIN' S^%#$&&&^%%..............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, of course, I don't have my camera with me, I instantly wanted a stiff drink and some high blood pressure meds.........I will say it again......HOLY FREAKIN' S ^%%$#^!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we talked for about 20 minutes and this is what I know......they DO NOT have permission to detect there (the first guy said he thought I was gonna kick them out).......he DOES know that the farmer lives up the road......he (and I saw it after he pointed it out) said that the whole corner of the field is loaded with old, OLD, chunks of broken bricks......hmmmmm.......he said that this was their second day in a row back there because on Sunday they found an 1865 2 cent piece and an 1862 Indian.

Now these guys were also losing their minds with excitement and said they would come back another day because they felt they had enough in one day without getting busted......the whole time I'm trying to stay cool like it's not that big of a deal....whhhhheeewwww.....that was tough.......I drove away and it looked like they were gonna leave too (they put thier detectors in trunk) but when I pulled a u-turn and drove back past 5 minutes later they were back out statnding next to the car (I actually think they just wanted me out of their hair) but I just kept driving (and crying)......here is my plan......go back in the morning and ask the farmer permission........something happened on this site and I don't know what (old cache of NJ's turned up by farming?)

Any suggestions about anything would be much appreiciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12 hours until daylight....

HH all
Greg

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
That's a heck of a story. Puts you in a bind, also. I think they might have asked, but didn't get permission.

I doubt if I would go back to detect, but that's just me. I don't know you, but you saw these finds. It would be hard not to.

DM

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
i would go in a heartbeat !!!!!! if they were packin up i would guess they dont have permission,, i wouldn't ask either !!!!!!!!! if they come back and see you there,, so what !!its a free country....at least get a few for yourself,, fresh digs will tell ya where theyve been i would go left or right of that,,

GO FOR IT !!!!!!!!!!!!

johnrielly

Jun 14, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know if I would go alone. If these guys had the nerve to go in there without permission they probably wont mind trying to beat you into the ground with their digging tools.

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
me again,, i'm just south of boston,if you would feel more comfortable i will meet ya anywhere at all at daylight..... strenth in numbers type thing,,,,, i use a mxt..

rick.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
*@&%$%#*%*%!^%*&#%*&%#*%!!!!!!!!! I can't even get a lowly Indian and this guy is pulling up colonials as it they were zincs!

HH
-GC

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya gotta ask! Those guys did'nt ask because they thought you were the farmer. Go get permission first thing, say your doing an article on old things found in fields or something, anything! Just get permission, and go man go!

RJ

CRDigger

Greenie
Aug 11, 2006
Upstate, New York
O my........ I think I would of cried if I was there! I have an old site by me that is owned by people over two hours away, and I'm reluctant to hunt there without permission. And now I here about these people! They must have been pretty desperate to go there if they didn't even ask the farmer who was only a few minutes away. I'm still reluctant, though, to hunt without permission, no matter where the owners live... O well...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
although I'd hate Myself for Being a Snitch.
(a few Coppers would Ease the pain)

My Comment to the farmer would go something Like This.

hi. I'm into Metal detecting, and
I went by your Field at ..... the other day and Noticed
A couple of Men swinging Detectors There. when I questioned them
about it they said they didn't Have permission. so I didn't Join them.
I wouldn't feel right Just Trespassing. So I
I was wondering if I (Me and a Friend) could get Permission from you to detect it.

and Go from There.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with Jeff and Cappy z ,box oh chocolate and a frozen turkey go a looong way for a farmer ;) cut in on these guys action ,they could ask just as easily as you have so y not ask?bring a buddy and a bat and cell phone... ::) the poop hits the rotatry oscillator call the farmer for some 12 gauge back up ;D

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tavern or stage stop, hostile, etc or all the above !!!

buckeyehunter

Jan 29, 2005
Lancaster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
e-trac
Paul I am pretty much with you, every situation is different but in this case either get permission or dont go, we dont need someone else out there ruining it for all of us, take those two guys for instance, what if the farmer drove by after you left and was mad because they didnt ask, kicked them out, that already makes it bad on the rest of us but what happens if you are there just a few days later without permission and he catches you, you know he will be bad mouthing people who detect for a long time, if you dont have the nerve to go knock on his door then dont go detecting there!
most farmers and country people will let you hunt there property but at the same time if they catch you on there property without permission they are going to be p!ssed!!!

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about This?

Hi! My name is ......... This is a shotgun, and I would like to metal detect in your field. Any Problems? ;) ;) ;D ;D

Mike

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I agree with Paul and Jeff. But I think I would scout some old maps first and see what was actually around there. Then I would ask permission, but I would take a friend,because you know those guys are going to be really mad with you horning in on their find. I would ask the farmer to split with me also. Those other guys really make it bad for the rest of us and Lord I really hope its not someone on the forum. I am going to be scouting other forums to see who posts these finds.

RatRacer

May 23, 2006
Trafford, PA
Reddielocks25 said:
Just think if the shoe was on the other foot ? What if it was your land and someone WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION was digging holes in it and tresspassing ? Wouldn't you be mad ! Think about it. Just because those other two tresspaser thought it was OK just to dig where they please DOES NOT make it just.Its illegal !
I recently learned from my father-in-law that someone did the same thing to them a few years ago. He saw some guy in the yard with a detector, and asked him what he was doing. He said he was "just looking around". Luckily, Wilbur doesn't own a gun, but for a 79-year-old, he can be pretty intimidating!
If it's private property, especially if you know where the owner is, get permission!

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
Hi Greg,

I have to side with Paul "Paul is dead," Getting permission is the proper way to approach sites such as these.

I have made mistakes in the past and have trespassed numerous times in my day, But now it's more on a professional level of getting permission to search older sites. So my days of trespassing are over, Believe me it is not something I am proud of and do not support.

We have a responsibility to be upfront with the property owners of our full intentions, You'd be amazed how you can still get permission to search old sites such as these with being honest and sincere with the property owner.

In this case such as yours, The damage was done with those two guys trespassing. It appears these two fellows did the research and located the site, So you going back would be sort of breaking the old rule "Claim jumping." Even though these two desperados are breaking the law by trespassing, Breaking the golden rule and entering the ranks of claim jumping is something you would never want to be labeled as.

So now you are caught between the middle, You can get permission to search the property from the owner but yet be a claim jumper in the eyes of fellow treasure hunters.

I personally would walk away from this, Even if you got permission from the owner to search this old site, you would be labeled as a CLAIM JUMPER.

Set the pace and lead by example,
Paul (Ca)

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
ok i'm sorry i said i would just jump in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! anyone wants to shoot me bring it onnnnnnnnnnn,,,,,,,,,,,, i was just a little pumped is all !!!!!!!!!!
and please don't act like you never pulled over in the middle of (nowhere) and pulled out your detector and started swinging, if you say that you haven't i'm calling you a liar ....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, here is twist to the story. Lets see if this rings a bell..

First here are the comments.

"What if it was your land and someone WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION was digging holes in it and tresspassing ? Wouldn't you be mad"

"If i ever found anyone on my land digging without my permission they would have a butt full of buckshot"

"to go on a man's land that "HE" is working, and rob him of unknowing wealth to him is unredeemed! It is his land,"

"That is HIS land .Its probley been in his family for genrations.Thats HIS coins."

"most farmers and country people will let you hunt there property but at the same time if they catch you on there property without permission they are going to be p!ssed!!!"

"Go dig without permisson ! You dont need it ! Hell just leave the gapping holes unfilled too while you're at it !!"

Now here is the twist.

Didn't the American Indian own all of this land to begin with? Its a real shame there weren't more white folks defending their rights when our government was stealing the same land that had been theirs for thousands of years right out from under their very feet.

Even today our government refuses to honor the treaties it signed a hundred years ago and pay them what they are owed.

kierdan

Jun 26, 2006
Elkton, Maryland
treasure_hunter32810 said:
Okay, here is twist to the story. Lets see if this rings a bell..

First here are the comments.

"What if it was your land and someone WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION was digging holes in it and tresspassing ? Wouldn't you be mad"

"If i ever found anyone on my land digging without my permission they would have a butt full of buckshot"

"to go on a man's land that "HE" is working, and rob him of unknowing wealth to him is unredeemed! It is his land,"

"That is HIS land .Its probley been in his family for genrations.Thats HIS coins."

"most farmers and country people will let you hunt there property but at the same time if they catch you on there property without permission they are going to be p!ssed!!!"

"Go dig without permisson ! You dont need it ! Hell just leave the gapping holes unfilled too while you're at it !!"

Now here is the twist.

Didn't the American Indian own all of this land to begin with? Its a real shame there weren't more white folks defending their rights when our government was stealing the same land that had been theirs for thousands of years right out from under their very feet.

Even today our government refuses to honor the treaties it signed a hundred years ago and pay them what they are owed.

Wow now there's a sharp turn in the conversation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions