No Tone Volume Control on the XPD2 & wondering why

earthfoot

Greenie
May 1, 2005
Detector(s) used
Anfibio
I have to wonder why Deus did not include Tone Volume Control (TVC) with the XPD2. It may have been/be presumptuous of me to even expect it, but I really was a little shocked when I checked in the manual and found it absent. I am spoiled with my primary machine which offers TVC in the VCO modes eg… 2 Tone and Deep, as well as in the multi-tones 3 thru 5. TVC reduces the need to notch or discriminate in many situations by using select tone breaks. It should be obvious how well this works for tonal nuance in dual tone VCO modes, with possibilities in so many other applications.

It can make any machine an even better tool. It can make the user experience more enjoyable and for those users with any of the various hearing issues it may and most likely will, make a positive difference in field proficiency.

So that’s it just me a rookie, wondering why TVC is absent in the XPD2, in general and to a lesser degree at this price point.

CZKidd

Dec 12, 2018
NW FL
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI Beach Hunter
Equinox 800, Equinox 600
XP DEUS, XP DEUS 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Full tones does an excellent job, at least for my ears. It's like an automated feature of the DEUS. Closer target is to the surface, louder it is and farther, softer. My NOX 600 on the other hand, it's just beep beep beep to my ears. I do not pick up alot of nuances with it.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is where the EQX 800(NOT 600, doesn’t have this feature) shines. Being able to turn down the volume of each individual tone(up to 5 tones)really allows a user to run with NO disc, yet tell a lot about what’s going on. The Deus is using modulated audio as said, but it’s not the same….I want those lower volume tones to indicate something I DON’T WANT, not something that is deep but might be something I DO want. The old saying, “you don’t know what you dont know” really applies in this case. There’s a reason the 800 is more expensive, and some of those reasons REALLY COUNT. Too bad the D2 doesn’t have this feature if it indeed does not, it’s one of the better features I’ve ever used on any machine.

OP
OP
earthfoot

earthfoot

Greenie
May 1, 2005
Detector(s) used
Anfibio
That is where the EQX 800(NOT 600, doesn’t have this feature) shines. Being able to turn down the volume of each individual tone(up to 5 tones)really allows a user to run with NO disc, yet tell a lot about what’s going on. The Deus is using modulated audio as said, but it’s not the same….I want those lower volume tones to indicate something I DON’T WANT, not something that is deep but might be something I DO want. The old saying, “you don’t know what you dont know” really applies in this case. There’s a reason the 800 is more expensive, and some of those reasons REALLY COUNT. Too bad the D2 doesn’t have this feature if it indeed does not, it’s one of the better features I’ve ever used on any machine.

I agree the ability to customize the primary audio parameter (output volume) is an important freedom to employ across notch and tone. Being able to customize without disc is an elite and very useful feature. Their mid grade offering the "mighty" Deus suffers from this omission.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread