Noob checking in!!!....

Azman-1

Oct 4, 2006
Hello all,
I am brand new to treasue hunting, I have a used Tesoro toltec 100 that I picked up for about 70.00 (I don't know if that was a good price or not)

In fact I'm finding out there is a whole lot that I don't know!! I live out in Arizona (Yuma) and am looking forward to trying my hand at T Hunting this winter as summer is not good for me, too darn hott!!!
As I said, I am new to the hobby and have many questions, first of which is my detector working properly? Let me explain.

Here is where I get confused, as I swing the coil above the ground I will occasionally get a signal, however when I stop swinging, I lose the signal, which makes 'locating' or pinpointing difficult, is my detector not working right? or am I just not 'getting it'??? I have no manual to consult, and am in the process of trying to locate one.

If someone could answer this for me, I might be able to do a little 'hunting' while I wait for it!! As it is the only thing I've been able to find so far is a 1 ounce lead fishing sinker, and I had to dig a huge hole to find it!!! Needless to say that was not very encouraging, I'm sure I'm either doing something wrong or the detector is not working as it should.

I'm sorry my first post is so long, and I'm sorry I don't have any cool 'finds' to show you all yet, but please let me close by saying it was this great web site and all the pictures of finds that has made me want to even try.

Thank you, and continued luck to all, Azman-1... ;D

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! Not familiar with that kind of detector, but the coil has to be in motion to get a beep, unless you are in the pinpoint mode. In pinpoint you should get a solid tone right over the target. When you hear the tone loudest is where to dig. Monty

ernie

Jun 11, 2004
go to tessoro and request a manual.they will send you one free or you can call them.the discriminant mode is a motion mode so when you stop swinging the coil the sound disappears when you hit a target switch to all metal to pinpoint.tesoro is a great company and will repair your machine free.the tolect is and older machine check out the new lighter tesoro umax series.good luck.

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
just post the picture of the fishing sinker!!!! Sounds like a good find.(I fish - ALOT)

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the BEST Treasure Hunting site on the web! I like Tesoro detectors, I had a few of them but use the Cortes now. Take your time with it and learn what the machine is trying to tell you - once your learn it's unique language, you'll have it made. ;D

OP
OP
A

Azman-1

Oct 4, 2006
Thanks for all the replies, I have contacted Tesoro and they will be sending me a manual asap.

gold fish said:
just post the picture of the fishing sinker!!!! Sounds like a good find.(I fish - ALOT)

Sorry, I didn't take a picture of the sinker, I just added it to my tackle box... :-\

Night Stalker said:
Welcome to the BEST Treasure Hunting site on the web! I like Tesoro detectors, I had a few of them but use the Cortes now. Take your time with it and learn what the machine is trying to tell you - once your learn it's unique language, you'll have it made. ;D

Thanks for the welcome, I agree about being the best TH site on the web, from the reading I've been doing prior to signing up there are some very kowledgeable, and generous people here willing to help out a fellow Hunter... ;)

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Welcome to the forum and the hobby Azman. My first holes were pretty big too. Sometimes they still get a little bit bigger than I want them to be. Once I learned more about my machine and more about swinging over my target in metal mode to listen for the loudest sound, then swing from different directions possibilty in an "x" type pattern I began to zero in and get smaller holes.

The finds will come over time. Might not be super finds right off, tis ok, even the best detectors here I am sure had many many days of no finds or small finds.

Any way you look at it as you become more familiar and comfortable with your detector your target recovery will become faster and much more accurate.

Postalrevnant

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Hang in there and mark your calender for Feb 3/4.The GPAA Gold Show will be in Mesa,AZ.Mr Gifford(Tesoro owner) and Les Berg will be showing all the Tesoro line and will answer any and all ?'s.Les also gives a free and very indepth seminar on metal detectors in general.He will not recommend one brand over another.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread