SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:icon_thumright:
Went out Saturday with my friend Mark to a site and dug this rare Confederate school button!
The Norfolk Academy in Virginia has a long history and produced many young soldiers who served in the Civil War. This button has the "R & W Robinson" backmark and was produced from c.1834-48
according to the Tice book. The NMA buttons are some of the most desirable Confederate school buttons among collectors. Also saw that Josh (Sentinel on TNET), dug one last year!
Also found were 12 plain flat buttons and a very worn KGIII.
Keith

Attachments

• NMA front.jpg
    NMA front.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,427
  • NMA back.jpg
    NMA back.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,343
Upvote 0

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Like Mike said "Beautiful Button",and in Great shape as well.Banner Button in my book :thumbsup: Congrat's!!!!

U

umrgolf

That's a beautiful button. I was with Josh the day he dug that NMA and it was a good hour from Norfolk on a colonial site that turned up no other CW period items. The newest coin was 1809 and the other buttons were all 18th and early 19th century. His was a big surprise given the context of what we were finding. They are incredible pieces of history :headbang: Banner without a doubt

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great recovery :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
SC Keith

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
umrgolf said:
That's a beautiful button. I was with Josh the day he dug that NMA and it was a good hour from Norfolk on a colonial site that turned up no other CW period items. The newest coin was 1809 and the other buttons were all 18th and early 19th century. His was a big surprise given the context of what we were finding. They are incredible pieces of history :headbang: Banner without a doubt
I saw his video of his NMA button--cool video! I had thought my NMA was a Harrison button until the guys set me straight. Take care bud!
Keith

Major William Brown

Tenderfoot
Apr 30, 2011
Nice button. If you ever wish to sell it or trade CW items for it, let me know. I am the author of the article that positively proved this button was used by students at the Norfolk Academy and NOT Transylvania Univ. of KY (an article I also wrote). Regards, Major Wm Brown, contributing editor to NS Trader magazine.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's one gorgeous button, nice condition too! :icon_thumright:

Congratulations!

Dave

emsee

Jun 8, 2011
This is awesome. How did you get that? So sweet and nice. Looks very diplomatic. Congratulations! :hello2:

OP
OP
SC Keith

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
emsee said:
This is awesome. How did you get that? So sweet and nice. Looks very diplomatic. Congratulations! :hello2:
I put just a little aluminum jelly and water with a Qtip to clean it and rinsed with distilled water and baking soda to neutralize acid.
Use caution not to over clean, it can ruin the button!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Norfolk Military Academy is located in downtown Norfolk still to this day (I pass by it nearly everyday). It's a beautiful school founded in 1727 and was a stellar Confederate Military Academy and produced some of the best soldiers of the war including General Robert E. Lee's own personal aide-de-camp Colonel Walter H. Taylor who's in the famous photo of Lee, Lee's son and himself. They're pretty rare and I've seen them sell for between $750-$1200 in dug condition over the years. Great Find, I found mine last year and was very excited to have it in the collection. :icon_thumleft: :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread