North Ga Treasure

Michael Karpovage

Jul 30, 2010
Roswell, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab 3030 CTX
That's a very interesting post I have a lot of respect for Cherokee since I am a descendant of. Cherokee ancestors best to venture and look because if its on Federal land and your caught digging , No Fun For about 5-10 yrs and a hefty fine on top of that.

Yep, that goes without saying. The only Federal property in that stretch along the Etowah River is the McGraw Forest WMA. I've only hiked it looking for symbols as I don't even own a detector. But still, so others on this forum know, you cannot even take a piece of rock off Federal land as that's against the law if it's determined to be a Native American artifact. Other places are all private lands where I've gotten permission and spoken to locals, who incidentally are a wealth of information about the Cherokee that once lived in these areas. Just wanted to pass on the information about Cry of the Eagle.

gadawg12345

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen another post on this web site that has a picture of a cave. I believe I know where this cave is. I would like to go and check it out. Anyone interested.

ndurr11

Jul 15, 2013
I have seen another post on this web site that has a picture of a cave. I believe I know where this cave is. I would like to go and check it out. Anyone interested.

Hi I'm new to this site but am trying to track down a cave in union county known as spruce cave. Might this cave be there?

tmodel186

Aug 18, 2013
Dalton Ga
Detector(s) used
whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey you guys i have lived in Dalton ga 70 years i live on the rocky face mnt on the east side of it,i been all over it all my life,i have found quit a few things while metal hunting,and have been in a cave on the west side of the mnt.lots of history here. i was told by a man who was about 90 in 1980s that he helped a man dig for that gold,he said the man had a map where it was buried but he said the man went broke trying to find it but he couldnt fined it,it was odd where he was digging that place was where i was borned dad and mom lived there when i was borned.i have not tried to fined it iam not sure the owner will let anyone in there.

two bear

Dec 14, 2013
Smoky Mtns of east Tn
Detector(s) used
Whites metal detectors
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard from a reputable source that a cave with gold lies where the eye of the eagle would be. Would like to check this out if anyone wants to do a little hiking.

Michael Karpovage

Jul 30, 2010
Roswell, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab 3030 CTX
Are you referring to the eagle shape on the Etowah River in Hightower, GA? Where that eye would be is a flat farmer's field on a river bottom.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is a very cool thread. I dug my very first civil war bullet on Rocky Face. My family settled on the slopes of Rocky Face ( Mill Creek at Dug Gap) in 1840 and endured the war there.

There was a man by the name of Euclid Waterhouse who was a founder of a bank in Cleveland Tn., He had a plantation in Ga. He left for Ohio at the beginning of the civil war and returned at the end. He was very wealthy. FYI...there was much gold brought from Copper Hill to Cleveland and I dont know where it went from there. The Waterhouse Plantation still stands. It is at the intersection of Ga 2 and Ga.225 , you can see the house from the road.

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I was a treasure seeker and not a relic collector The 2 treasures I would chase in North Georgia would be The LEDBETTER Treasure in Forsyth Cty and The Taccoa indian treasure Taccoa treasure had had some type of action in the late 1940's ---------- Ledbetter treasure is really interesting Dahlonega gold buried after the gold was minted into coins at the Dahlonega mint --------- Very interesting piece to consider about 2 years ago a post appeared by a newbie member either on this board ( T.Net ) or the other treasure board ---- The post read that this newbie had been given permission to search the old ledbetter farm in northern forsyth and he wanted someone with experience to help him --------- the post lasted about 3 hours and them vanished - always made me wonder if a Mod from either site pulled it or the poster got a contact and they told him to pull the post ---- I wish I had bookmarked that post , Just my 2 cents

Night Train

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2013
Jefferson Ga
Detector(s) used
MineLab CTX 3030 or MineLab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there I'm new on here! just got my mine lab xterra 705 gold pack detector and went to resaca yesterday I was off dug gap rd in the mountains behind the big white carpet factory and didn't get a single hit! I'm from jefferson ga and looking for a hunting partner.

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there I'm new on here! just got my mine lab xterra 705 gold pack detector and went to resaca yesterday I was off dug gap rd in the mountains behind the big white carpet factory and didn't get a single hit! I'm from jefferson ga and looking for a hunting partner.

Not a single hit ? Not even a nail/screw/ pull tab If that is true You really need to check your detector ,,,, Throw some stuff on your lawn , bury change and see if it picks it up I find it difficult you didn't get one hit with an properly working unit

Night Train

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2013
Jefferson Ga
Detector(s) used
MineLab CTX 3030 or MineLab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I meant relic or coin hits. I found some old beer cans and a few pull tabs. I'm beginning to think I was in the totally wrong place. If you know the area well I'd like to hunt some with you. I went all the way up the mountain to the big green water tower off dug gap rd.

May 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, If anyone is interested in going up and stomping around the mountains a bit let me know. I would like to do some panning as well

GeorgiaGold

Nov 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An interesting story. The only historical reference that I know of in reference to the Southeast is that the Spaniards, back in the 1500's or a little later would coat their gold with copper to fool anyone trying to steal it. Indian slaves would have been used for transport. Think Desoto.

GeorgiaGold

Nov 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that would make a lot of sense if the river was once much wider, which it probably was.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
An interesting story. The only historical reference that I know of in reference to the Southeast is that the Spaniards, back in the 1500's or a little later would coat their gold with copper to fool anyone trying to steal it. Indian slaves would have been used for transport. Think Desoto.

"Google" Waterhouse Treasure... FIRST: SPANISH Miners; SECOND: Cherokee Nation; THIRD: Mr. Waterhouse... then to his bank & an near-by US Mint at "D".

Last edited:

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dahlonega mint was a D then That is the same mint the ledbetter treasure came from

GoldenTimes

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2014
Detector(s) used
White detectors
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a rock on the bank of the Etowah carved into a eagle, they might be referring to this. Many trail signs left carved into the rocks, some of the tree carvings have long rotted away!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread