Northern Nevada in the Summer

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is prospecting in Northern Nevada a bad idea in the summer or does it not get too unbearably hot? I'm starting to think about what my summer plans will be and whether or not I will try to find a summer internship. If I do want one, I thought one interesting option would be something at one of the mines in NV and then prospect in my free time.

Upvote 0

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is prospecting in Northern Nevada a bad idea in the summer or does it not get too unbearably hot? I'm starting to think about what my summer plans will be and whether or not I will try to find a summer internship. If I do want one, I thought one interesting option would be something at one of the mines in NV and then prospect in my free time.

It’s not that bad. Mostly in the 90’s and it’s usually a dry heat. AC is your friend.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once got caught in a downright blizzard at the independence gold mine north of Elko in August.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The big deal in northern Nevada in the summer is the sun. It's fairly high elevation (5-8000') and the sun at those elevations will cook your brains. In the shade, it's not bad. I usually start early, and give it up shortly after noon, and then go again in the evening.
Jim

Nevada Prospector

Aug 16, 2017
Southern Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher GB II, Etc, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Other
The big deal in northern Nevada in the summer is the sun. It's fairly high elevation (5-8000') and the sun at those elevations will cook your brains. In the shade, it's not bad. I usually start early, and give it up shortly after noon, and then go again in the evening.
Jim

I agree with that but sometimes shade is almost as scarce as gold.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We prospect every summer (and fall and winter and spring lol) in Northern Nevada.

Summers at almost 6000’ aren’t that bad. It really is a dry heat.

Chuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread