🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Not a clue what this is.....

Rhody28

Greenie
Jan 9, 2014
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found mixed in with a box of my grandmother's stuff (she was born in 1888). It is iron (magnet test). It measures roughly 17" long and weighs 11.6 oz. There are two sets of "tines". The top one is two tines and the bottom is three. When squeezed, the tines bypass each other but only slightly. There is a stop on the top rod which keeps the tines from bypassing each other. The tines are affixed to the rods with indentations, which appear to have been made with a punch. There are no markings whatsoever. Any ideas? Thanks!
IMG_1616.JPG
IMG_1617.JPG
IMG_1618.JPG

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
It could be a pleater.
or to cook something like bacon, but I would think the handle would get too hot to hold.

Upvote 1

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you were to press it together does the moving part pass through?
Thinking like a clip to hang something.
The back pressure would hold the item, then the loop over a peg/nail.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Rhody28

Rhody28

Greenie
Jan 9, 2014
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be a pleater.
or to cook something like bacon, but I would think the handle would get too hot to hold.
Thanks for the reply. I thought it was a pleater of some sort but I searched endlessly through pleaters and there's nothing remotely close. And I looked through cooking utensils and struck out there too. But thanks for looking!

Upvote 0

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Upvote 2

Brokenbear

Greenie
Dec 26, 2021
Looks too heavy duty to be a hair iron ..

I'm guessing the tool was built to handle broom straw ..to gather a bunch from stacker tubes (to align the individual pieces of straw) ..then the bundle would have been shook flat on a wire rack ..then grasped by these tongs ..straw group cut to length then held in the crimper (with handle in place) or wire binder (depending on the type of binding process) then still in the tongs registered in the sewing machine stitching across the width 4 inches below the wire/sleeve binding ..now you have grandma's broom

Now the fine print: ..my grandpa owned a broom factory 75 years ago ..not sure when it closed but I was very young when it did ..but your tool did not appear foreign and I think that is were I saw it ..maybe

Bear

Last edited:
Upvote 1

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm guessing the tool was built to handle broom straw ..to gather a bunch from stacker tubes (to align the individual pieces of straw) ..then the bundle would have been shook flat on a wire rack ..then grasped by these tongs ..straw group cut to length then held in the crimper (with handle in place) or wire binder (depending on the type of binding process) then still in the tongs registered in the sewing machine stitching across the width 4 inches below the wire/sleeve binding ..now you have grandma's broom

Now the fine print: ..my grandpa owned a broom factory 75 years ago ..not sure when it closed but I was very young when it did ..but your tool did appear foreign and I think that is were I saw it ..maybe

Bear
Good one Brokenbear! Makes sense if you,ve ever looked at a straw broom.

Upvote 0

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now the fine print: ..my grandpa owned a broom factory 75 years ago ..not sure when it closed but I was very young when it did ..but your tool did not appear foreign and I think that is were I saw it ..maybe

Bear
can you post some pics of this broom making tool ?

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread