Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going back through my catalogue of finds, I wanted to call this part of a split bolt but the bridge type piece is attached to the rest so I donā€™t see how it would be possible to tighten it into a split bolt. the whole thing would spin instead of moving up the slotā€¦ anybody know another name for this? Sorry Iā€™ve just got the one picture the actual piece has been stored somewhere.

Attachments

• 3BF13E4A-D23F-44EF-8B29-DE9F30164EDD.jpeg
    3BF13E4A-D23F-44EF-8B29-DE9F30164EDD.jpeg
    193.3 KB · Views: 107
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thatā€™s what I meant by split bolt, but in order to turn the nut the bridge piece would spin too since itā€™s attached and I donā€™t see how that would work since it needs to move up the slot, the ones I use occasionally at work are three pieces so as the nut turns the other piece just slides up until it gets tight on the wire

Upvote 2

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thatā€™s what I meant by split bolt, but in order to turn the nut the bridge piece would spin too since itā€™s attached and I donā€™t see how that would work since it needs to move up the slot, the ones I use occasionally at work are three pieces so as the nut turns the other piece just slides up until it gets tight on the wire
Did you clean it up better than the picture ? It sure looks like part of a ā€œbugā€

Upvote 2
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I donā€™t disagree, Iā€™d clean it up if I knew where it was but that doesnā€™t change the fact Iā€™m fairly confident itā€™s a single piece where it should be two.

The ā€œbridgeā€ piece should be sitting inside of the nut, that way as the nut turns it moves the ā€œbridge pieceā€ straight up until it was tight to the boltā€¦ since it appears attached to the nut that would mean that ā€œbridgeā€ piece would turn with the nut, that would make it impossible for it to slide up the slot in the bolt since you would be trying to turn the ā€œbridge pieceā€ through the bolt.
Iā€™ve been trying to think of how the pieces would end up fusedā€¦ some kind of short?, maybe got tightened with some over powered tool and smashed it all until it was locked up, maybe someone playing with a welder? Or I was looking at those two piece split bolts maybe this one doesnā€™t have threads and just slides and then another piece followed behind to lock it in?

I donā€™t throw anything away but I do kind of sort by importance being a nut itā€™s probably in a bucket of other scrap metal In a barn or under a cabinet or in the basementā€¦. Might just have to call it a nut for now and move on

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well checked one place and found a bunch of the stuff I just cataloged but not that split bolt looking deal, I did find the another ramrod holder thoughā€¦ wish I knew what they were when I found them, somewhere out there is a gun probably a northwest trade gun but I have no idea where.
46A54B0E-49AF-4910-870D-6A0C22AFCE0E.jpeg

Upvote 2

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If those internal female threads are bound up with a few years of crud, then it certainly won't turn loose from the bridge piece, heck I have had brand new ones that are hard to open up at first. I will get one off my truck and take a pic of the two pieces.....

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iā€™m going by a picture and the thought that I usually clean my finds at some point, to assume itā€™s fixed. otherwise I would have thought Iā€™d recognize it since I use split bolts in my job somewhat often. Without knowing where it is I canā€™t confirm or deny anything.

the heart of my question was if it was fixed there was no way it could operate as a split bolt so I thought maybe it was another type of nut. Judging by the responses Iā€™d have to assume there is not, which makes me doubt my assumption itā€™s a solid pieceā€¦ someday if I come across it digging through the barn maybe Iā€™ll know more.

But I do appreciate the interest in what In the end is a pretty uninteresting item, I just try to be as accurate as possible with my descriptions

Upvote 2

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This could still be a Wire clamp or clip. They also could slide a piece of flat stock in the top slot then put a bolt in it and tighten it to hold it in place

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread