Not panning any gold in Southern Missouri please help

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say that's true, tiny, tiny gold if any. It'll be glacial deposits if you do find some and your chances might be a little better in Northern Missouri because of that. You'd be better off going somewhere else instead of spending money on more equipment. If there isn't gold in the pan there won't be in a sluice either.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not to leave you hanging...I'd start by researching glacial deposits of the area (if any) or however the gold is deposited there, and anywhere placers have been found. I'm not sure if glacial gold has been found that far south or not?

OP
OP
G

GoldMine21

Feb 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It crosses with Missouri river a ways up so I had figured it should have something. Even a small amount.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You keep mentioning the blue bowl. The blue bowl is for cleaning your cons, not to use in the field. I suggest you read and look at videos on line to learn exactly how to pan. Everything begins and ends with a pan.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GoldMine21, where I go to prospect in Pennsylvania sounds similar to your area of Missouri. Those PA locations were barely touched by the glaciers that brought gold south from Canada, so the gold is very minimal and very small. I do know there's some there however because I was going to properties where our club has permission to join (suggestion: go to places where others have found gold. Sounds like northern Missouri would be better.)

After dozens and dozens of days in those PA streams, using a classifier and pans sometimes and a stream sluice other times, my results are something like this:
1. about half the time I get skunked.
2. the other times I may find one very small piece or a few small pieces
3. once I found a small flake
It's because of #3 that I don't get discouraged when #1 happens. You've got to just keep trying.

You didn't say anything about how much practice you've had with panning. Have you bought pay dirt and practiced in a tub at home? (suggestion: buy paydirt and practice. When you know you can get the gold at home, you'll have the confidence to go out in the field and know you'll get gold if there's gold in the dirt you're digging.)

Finally, it sounds like you know not to get a blue bowl for the field. Good, don't do that. If you're going to spend $75 on something for the field, get a sluice of some sort. It'll increase the amount of material you have to run dramatically, and in areas with very little gold it's all about the amount of material you run. You don't need the famous Bazooka sluice; any sluice from a reputable maker will catch gold if set up correctly. I happen to have a Buckabilly 7" wide sluice.

Good luck and have fun!

- Brian

OP
OP
G

GoldMine21

Feb 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much for the awesome advice !!! I was almost ready to throw in the pan so to speak until I read this. Your right I should keep going until I find something. Ill get a sluice in hopes it can help me a bit. Thank you !!

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
GoldMine21:

It's been my experience that any state that has a hint of gold (and it has been found in all 50 of them) the state bureau of mines and geology, natural resources, or other name, has one or more publications (free or inexpensive) that people find very helpful.

I didn't see anything here:

Missouri Department of Natural Resources

Not a good sign.

You might want to inquire with them, however.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much for the awesome advice !!! I was almost ready to throw in the pan so to speak until I read this. Your right I should keep going until I find something. Ill get a sluice in hopes it can help me a bit. Thank you !!

The only part of Missouri where gold is found is in the counties bordering the Missouri River where gold was brought down from Canada by the glaciers. The gold was left behind when the last glacier melted about 12,000 years ago. Whatever gold is found is what miners call flour gold that won’t support a commercial operation, but is a lot of fun to find anyways.

This is gold found in terminal moraines that formed where the glacier was continuously melting in one place that are recognized by their hummocky appearance and many sand & gravel deposits. The Gold deposits are often accompanied by diamonds that are more likely to be found in payable amounts throughout the areas where glaciers once trod. Diamonds are another example of the many riches brought down from Canada by the glaciers.

Gold is found as panable deposits along the sand bars that line the Chariton River and its tributaries. It has also been found at Kirksville in Adair County in sand and gravel deposits. In Macon County there are two areas containing gold one of these is near the town of Elmer where gold is found in Murray Gulch. Around the town of Gifford gold has been discovered in glacial deposits.

CLICK HERE:Places to Pan for Gold in Missouri | Our Pastimes

Go for the gold
GG~

Last edited:

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cant seem to find any gold in southern Missouri. Any advice ?
A frequent poster onTNet is RussAu.He is located in Misery.An experienced miner and Good OlBoy.You might try touching bases with him.I'm sure he is a wealth of local information.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Although Misery does have glacial gold in minute size , almost all the land is privately owned and the public land areas are hounded by wacoenviromentalterriorists and Missouri Department of Natural Resources looking for people that are attempting to "destroy mother earth"!!! If you could find someone that owns some land along a stream in Northern Missouri , I believe that would be your best bet on having fun and enjoying your gold hunt without being RAZED by the "knowitall "evnviros!! OR Missouri does have a good gold prospecting club up around K.C. Misery that has local outtings that you may want to check out . They are a good group that will teach you and let you try out their equipment at the outtings. Its a gpaa club for your research. I posted on their yahoogroups forum that I was going to do some ice dredgeing if anyone wanted to learn BUT NO REPLYS! I wonder why???:dontknow::icon_scratch::occasion14: maybe its a good thing nobody replied!!:tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread