Not sure what this is, rectangular flint

cloudboy

Feb 1, 2018
Western KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this out walking today in my usual spot. I wasn't even sure it was an artifact at first, but it 100% is. It's very rectangular, every side is perfectly smooth. One side has been beaten as if it were going to become a point, then I guess whoever was doing it either gave up or dropped it? Is this called a preform?
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

OP
OP
C

cloudboy

Feb 1, 2018
Western KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a rock.
5.jpg

6.jpg

I agree that it looks like it at first. However, you can clearly see percussion marks along this edge and it is also translucent when held to the sun. My camera isn't very good but I hope you can see it.

OP
OP
C

cloudboy

Feb 1, 2018
Western KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure I agree that it's not been knapped, but appreciate the feedback nonetheless. I will be keeping it.

EDIT- Also I want to point out that I did not find it in a creek, but along the dirt road where I've found so many tools lately.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with the others, it is natural stone and see no sign of knapping by man, rather it is random chipping by nature.

JKicker

Jul 10, 2017
Tullahoma, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Minelab X Terra 705
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's more to knapping than just striking stone with other stones or bones. I would expect percussion strikes to remove more material. I would expect pressure flakes to have some foundation percussion work (unless it is a chip or flake being utilized, which could be be argued the foundation work was done).

I'm not an expert but I tried my hand at knapping 25 years ago and learned real quick that some of the things I believed to be worked was not possible or probable.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not sure I agree that it's not been knapped, but appreciate the feedback nonetheless. I will be keeping it.

EDIT- Also I want to point out that I did not find it in a creek, but along the dirt road where I've found so many tools lately.
Kind of looks like one of those licorice candies.
If found by a dirt road could of come from a quarry. (Rock crusher )

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree with others that it's not likely to have been knapped. It's a little too small to make anything useful, and both ends heavily layered in non flint material, would make removing full flakes nearly impossible.
That layered outer skin is cortex and you're exactly correct. The softer cortex would be removed in most cases to further refine the tool. Probably not so much on a quick-&-dirty tool but on a keeper. I think the piece is a section from a vein of good flint.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
good point.... a vein as opposed to a nodule is a good way to explain this

Monsterrack 15

Greenie
Sep 29, 2021
A part of a vein of chert is a great way to look at. Has for the chipping that could have happened a 100 different ways. 1 step on by a person and the stone laying in the right spot could have caused that. If it was pressure flaking the chipping would be more matching. Also I would think why use such a thick stone when you could just knock off a flake from a larger stone an have a ready to use tool.

OP
OP
C

cloudboy

Feb 1, 2018
Western KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A part of a vein of chert is a great way to look at. Has for the chipping that could have happened a 100 different ways. 1 step on by a person and the stone laying in the right spot could have caused that. If it was pressure flaking the chipping would be more matching. Also I would think why use such a thick stone when you could just knock off a flake from a larger stone an have a ready to use tool.
I don't know much about natural flint sources. So it's definitely flint, then? If so, then it was at least brought there to where I found it by someone? And where can I read about veins vs nodules?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know much about natural flint sources. So it's definitely flint, then? If so, then it was at least brought there to where I found it by someone? And where can I read about veins vs nodules?
Doesn't mean it was carried there by someone, was it near any roads, it is common to have flint in gravel that is used for roads, could easily have fallen out of a gravel truck, I have even found flint points in gravel dumped on roads.

Was it near water, easily could have come from a creek or stream bed, stream doesn't have to be a stream now either, could have been a creek or stream a 1000 years ago..

To be an artifact there has to be signs it was touched, made or used by man.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread