austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Texas is a big state, but your axe head is from Central Texas, most likely, the Llano uplift area. It is a metamorphic rock that came from sandstone, is very hard and made decent tools. I have seen one very similar to yours at Long's Fish and Dig on the Llano River. Turn left to fish, turn right to dig. The office has a huge collection of artifacts found along the river. Seems that was a winter camp for several groups. I have only seen one in my 67, almost 68 years and I hunted artifacts all my life or rather from age 6-7 on. The notched end fit in wood and appaently gave it strength when tied down by hide. I think they are pretty rare, worth some bucks and highly collectible. Just my opinion...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Texas is a big state, but your axe head is from Central Texas, most likely, the Llano uplift area. It is a metamorphic rock that came from sandstone, is very hard and made decent tools. I have seen one very similar to yours at Long's Fish and Dig on the Llano River. Turn left to fish, turn right to dig. The office has a huge collection of artifacts found along the river. Seems that was a winter camp for several groups. I have only seen one in my 67, almost 68 years and I hunted artifacts all my life or rather from age 6-7 on. The notched end fit in wood and appaently gave it strength when tied down by hide. I think they are pretty rare, worth some bucks and highly collectible. Just my opinion...

Thanks austin I will treasure it and keep it with my other ax heads I have found. I will add the info you wrote and keep it under the head in the frame for documentation purposes. I guess the seller didnt know just what he had cause I got it for $20

Upvote 0

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
You stole it. Just enjoy it. When people look at one they think junk. I know, because I did. But you have a very rare find there. The guy you bought it from knew it was an axe, but I bet he had never seen one either. Congratulations...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You stole it. Just enjoy it. When people look at one they think junk. I know, because I did. But you have a very rare find there. The guy you bought it from knew it was an axe, but I bet he had never seen one either. Congratulations...

Thanks I knew it was special. Looks like a buffalo to.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread