cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit a spot on a local beach where there was some cobble showing, hoping to find some older coins and jewelry. No luck with that though. That's where I found the fishing weights and the .45 rounds that are dated 1941. I'm trying to figure out what they are held in. It's not a magazine/clip as it isn't metal. The material now is like charcoal and crumbles easily. Maybe some sort of ammo belt or box? I find lots of bullets, casings, and live rounds, but, not usually several hooked together. Odd to find them out in the wet sand at low tide. I didn't find much else. One of the fishing weights looks pretty old (the pendulum looking one), but, I don't know for sure. the keys were found in shallow sand in another area. My career total on keys now stands at 2,893! :tongue1:

Attachments

• jan2hunt.jpg
    jan2hunt.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 221
Upvote 21

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit a spot on a local beach where there was some cobble showing, hoping to find some older coins and jewelry. No luck with that though. That's where I found the fishing weights and the .45 rounds that are dated 1941. I'm trying to figure out what they are held in. It's not a magazine/clip as it isn't metal. The material now is like charcoal and crumbles easily. Maybe some sort of ammo belt or box? I find lots of bullets, casings, and live rounds, but, not usually several hooked together. Odd to find them out in the wet sand at low tide. I didn't find much else. One of the fishing weights looks pretty old (the pendulum looking one), but, I don't know for sure. the keys were found in shallow sand in another area. My career total on keys now stands at 2,893! :tongue1:
That,s a stumper on the .45 rounds.Capacity of a standard .45 magazine is 7. You have 6 so it doesn,t fit with a lost mag. plus like you said,no metal.Only thing that comes to mind is the Half Moon clips used to load .45 ACP in a revolver, S&W or Colt model 1917,each clip holds 3,two clips and you,re loaded.But again,you have no metal as would be the case with the clips.Only other thing is as you mentioned,some sort of belt,box or loops that,s rotted away,or long shot,maybe a dump pouch.If you don,t already know,the headstamp seems to be FA,that would be Frankford Arsenal,or if RA,Remington. Nice find,I always like to find old ammo. I,ll shoot it if it still goes bang!

OP
OP
cudamark

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, it's F A and 41 stamped in the casing.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

thormchammer

Dec 14, 2021
Timbered regions of the PNW.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could have been cosmeline (I don’t think I spelled that right.) it’s a grease used for long term storage of weapons and ammo. It’s a petroleum based grease to repel water. I could see it turning tar like with long term exposure to the outdoors, and the addition of sand. It would also explain the good condition the rounds are in.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cool finds! My career key count is 241, so watch out. I am gaining on you :)

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! The key to successful hunting.
The case is an interesting one.
I can relate to all the suggestions of what it might of been.
Old rubber dug up can have that look also, and if it was the main ingredient of the container it is a possibility.
I've dug numerous like substances that when touched it leaves a black residue on the gloves or fingers.
Something like what charcoal does.
Silver-well done

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't look like A.C.P. rounds ...
Suggesting a wheelgun/revolver.

I've a small black "wallet" designed for handgun use with a flap to cover opening that holds five or six rounds .
It has a snap closure. But a leather tab run through double slits would hold such an item closed.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting recoveries! Thanks for sharing! Congratulations! Back may years ago when I used to wander through the old mining ghost towns in my area, I used to find old, discarded shoes and boots where the rubber, and often the leather, also took on that look of whatever is holding the rounds together. Just a thought!

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could have been cosmeline (I don’t think I spelled that right.) it’s a grease used for long term storage of weapons and ammo. It’s a petroleum based grease to repel water. I could see it turning tar like with long term exposure to the outdoors, and the addition of sand. It would also explain the good condition the rounds are in.
Cosmolene,not trying to dis you,just thought you might want to know. Gooey stuff for sure.

OP
OP
cudamark

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This material is not gooey, oily, or greasy. It's just like a charcoal briquet you would use in a barbecue. Crumbles and makes your hands black. There was a lot more to it when first found. I chipped away some of it to see how many bullets were inside and if the dates and manufacturers were all the same.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting finds, congrats! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread