Notes Ending in 4 zeros

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The more zeroes in the end generally signifies the "first run" of a series. Thus: One of the first.
I don't think that it really matters for a series run, but I think they are cool and save them anyway! :thumbsup:

Best,
Scott

OP
OP
CHAINCHOMP

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
AU24K said:
The more zeroes in the end generally signifies the "first run" of a series. Thus: One of the first.
I don't think that it really matters for a series run, but I think they are cool and save them anyway! :thumbsup:

Best,
Scott

ooohhhh....i had it completely backwards...i thought it was the other way around, and bills with zeros in front of the number were rare and valuable...thank you for clarifying it for me...im not very knowledgeable in paper currency... especially with serial numbers...ill start watching for zeros at the end of the number instead of at the beginning. keep it up and hh! [R.I.P. Rich Hartford]

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me try again to clarify how notes are printed....I think I even confused myself.

Let's use the Atlanta Fed. Reserve for an example. Atlanta uses the letter "F" designation.
The one dollar bills for example will start with the "F" and be 00000001A and run all the way to F999999999A. Then it changes to F00000001B to F99999999B and so on through the alphabet for the last letter.
So, I guess the TRUE first run would have an "A" at the end AND the most zeroes at the front.

Hope that clears it up for you AND me!

Best,
Scott

PS.
I understand that notes are only printed in Fort Worth and Washington. They print notes FOR each of the Federal Reserve districts (12) based on orders received.

OP
OP
CHAINCHOMP

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
AU24K said:
Let me try again to clarify how notes are printed....I think I even confused myself.

Let's use the Atlanta Fed. Reserve for an example. Atlanta uses the letter "F" designation.
The one dollar bills for example will start with the "F" and be 00000001A and run all the way to F999999999A. Then it changes to F00000001B to F99999999B and so on through the alphabet for the last letter.
So, I guess the TRUE first run would have an "A" at the end AND the most zeroes at the front.

Best,
Scott

PS.
I understand that notes are only printed in Fort Worth and Washington. They print notes FOR each of the Federal Reserve districts (12) based on orders received.

oooooooooohhhhhh.....ok now i understand...thanks for clearing that up for me...so bills with 4 zeros at the END of the serial number are NOT worth keeping?
thank you so much for helping clear this all up for me...im always a very confused person haha. keep it up and hh! [R.I.P. Rich Hartford]

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
AU24K said:

Best,
Scott

PS.

The notes are printed (for $1 through $20) through serial A00000001A through A96000000A using your example and then A00000001B through A96000000B and so on. Serials over 96000000 are reserved for collector runs of uncut sheets.

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Modern notes ENDING in four or more 0s or four or more 9s for that matter are actually quite rare to find. Much rarer than any with the same amount of leading zeroes. The reason is that they are nearly always pulled out of the straps of printed notes and replaced with star notes. For example if you have a bundle of 1000 notes that say begins with serial D01239001A, it would then typically end in serial D01240000A. However, the last two notes, D01239999A and D01240000A will be removed, destroyed, and replaced with a pre-printed star note (usually from a low print run). This is done for various reasons, sometimes for testing purposes, to make sure the serials line up properly, etc. However the main reason is that the serial number rollers are a bit finicky when you approach a rollover. Sometimes they won't line up properly and the serials look like how a car's odometer looks when it rolls over to 10000 miles. The 9s and 0s will sometimes not fully turn or do a 7/8th turn or something to that effect. It's just easier for the BEP to pull those rollover notes before they are released and replace with a star note and that is what is done 99+% of the time.

Now for collector value, the lower the serial the better typically however I personally have never even seen a *modern* FRN note with four ending zeroes. I have seen a 2004A $20 w/ 4 ending 9s though.

OP
OP
CHAINCHOMP

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
DrDetector said:
Modern notes ENDING in four or more 0s or four or more 9s for that matter are actually quite rare to find. Much rarer than any with the same amount of leading zeroes. The reason is that they are nearly always pulled out of the straps of printed notes and replaced with star notes. For example if you have a bundle of 1000 notes that say begins with serial D01239001A, it would then typically end in serial D01240000A. However, the last two notes, D01239999A and D01240000A will be removed, destroyed, and replaced with a pre-printed star note (usually from a low print run). This is done for various reasons, sometimes for testing purposes, to make sure the serials line up properly, etc. However the main reason is that the serial number rollers are a bit finicky when you approach a rollover. Sometimes they won't line up properly and the serials look like how a car's odometer looks when it rolls over to 10000 miles. The 9s and 0s will sometimes not fully turn or do a 7/8th turn or something to that effect. It's just easier for the BEP to pull those rollover notes before they are released and replace with a star note and that is what is done 99+% of the time.

Now for collector value, the lower the serial the better typically however I personally have never even seen a *modern* FRN note with four ending zeroes. I have seen a 2004A $20 w/ 4 ending 9s though.

ooohhhhhh ok...thank you very much! so i keep bills starting with 4 nines or 4 zeros, and bills ending with 4 nines or 4 zeros...awesome...thank you very much! ;D keep it up and hh! [R.I.P. Rich Hartford]

TimBuck2

Mar 2, 2022

Hello DrDetector
I have a 2013 FRN note with 4 ending zeros also in the lower left serial the zero is off set, As you can see I have had it graded but i am new at this. I didnt check the box for variety. Should I send it in to get that done?

Attachments

• 0o.jpg
    0o.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 73

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread