Nothing spectacular, but still cool enough to share!

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently moved to a new property, and of course, I began detecting it once I was settled in. Although I haven't found any specific maps of the area predating the 1970's, it's becoming clear that there was once a homestead on the property, likely from the early 1920's based on the relics I'm finding. (I did find an aerial map from 1955 that shows a clearing with what appears to be a rectangular depression - possibly a foundation remnant - in a section of the property acreage that is now covered in trees. I have a friend coming over tomorrow to search with me in that area. Hopefully we'll find something worth sharing!) Below are two of my favorite finds so far:

(Found today) - A Buster Brown fork (marked "Extra Coin Silver Plated" on the back).
Buster Brown Fork.JPG

Buster Brown Fork Handle (Close-up).JPG

From what I could find online, this piece of flatware (once silver-plated) was made by the Niagara Silver Company sometime between 1904 and 1921 (no exact consensus from the information I found). I remember Buster Brown shoes as a child, but I had no idea that he was originally a popular newspaper cartoon character that debuted in 1902 and ran into the early 1920's!

(Found earlier in the week) - A World War One era U.S. Army uniform cuff button
WW1 Cuff Button (Front).JPG

WW1 Cuff Button (Back).JPG

And it still has the shank! I know it's difficult to read, but the back markings are "City Button Works - New York". Again, based solely on the information I found online, I believe that this button dates from 1909 to 1923 (when the City Button Works moved to New Jersey). I was just happy to find it in such good condition and complete!

Thanks, as always, for taking a bit of your time to peruse my post. Merry Christmas to all of you, and may your stockings be filled with wonderful finds throughout the New Year!

Upvote 19

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That,s a nice and interesting fork,I well remember Buster Brown from my long gone youth.Nice post,keep looking and finding.Merry Christmas to you and your family and may your finds also be many and interesting.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently moved to a new property, and of course, I began detecting it once I was settled in. Although I haven't found any specific maps of the area predating the 1970's, it's becoming clear that there was once a homestead on the property, likely from the early 1920's based on the relics I'm finding. (I did find an aerial map from 1955 that shows a clearing with what appears to be a rectangular depression - possibly a foundation remnant - in a section of the property acreage that is now covered in trees. I have a friend coming over tomorrow to search with me in that area. Hopefully we'll find something worth sharing!) Below are two of my favorite finds so far:

(Found today) - A Buster Brown fork (marked "Extra Coin Silver Plated" on the back).
View attachment 1998287
View attachment 1998288

From what I could find online, this piece of flatware (once silver-plated) was made by the Niagara Silver Company sometime between 1904 and 1921 (no exact consensus from the information I found). I remember Buster Brown shoes as a child, but I had no idea that he was originally a popular newspaper cartoon character that debuted in 1902 and ran into the early 1920's!

View attachment 1998294

View attachment 1998295

And it still has the shank! I know it's difficult to read, but the back markings are "City Button Works - New York". Again, based solely on the information I found online, I believe that this button dates from 1909 to 1923 (when the City Button Works moved to New Jersey). I was just happy to find it in such good condition and complete!

Thanks, as always, for taking a bit of your time to peruse my post. Merry Christmas to all of you, and may your stockings be filled with wonderful finds throughout the New Year!
Nice!!! Congrats!!! Good finds!!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool. someone else recently posted a buster brown utensil they found

caretaker

Jan 20, 2008
Maine
Detector(s) used
2-XLT, AT Pro, CZ20, E-Trac, Excal II, GTI 1500, 250, BH 101, HH Diver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like that fork, got a couple later ones

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

View attachment 1998287
View attachment 1998288

View attachment 1998294

View attachment 1998295

Wow I would have never thought there could be a Buster Brown fork!! Awesome, Congratulations and have a very Merry Christmas!

OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow I would have never thought there could be a Buster Brown fork!! Awesome, Congratulations and have a very Merry Christm
A Merry Christmas to you, as well!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions