OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price donā€™t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will say his in my life Iā€™ve never seen anyone defend a electronic device like this guy, I mean thereā€™s was apple vs android. its really sad or funny, I didnā€™t ever see anything stating any notka makro machine was ever better than any xp deus machine, never. I mean itā€™s a done deal, it ruffles his feathers , look he seems like this is bothering him to the point his history lessons are mute, why it cost more it has to be better, Ok, it performs better, ok, it separates better, ok. I will ask this who is getting under your skin that your trying to convince I donā€™t think anyone is saying anything is better than xp deus 2, your experience is appreciate. Terry is qualified as well. Hey enough your going stress yourself out, go enjoy your beautiful machine and hope you find many things. If your happy , we are happy to, we want you to experience great finds. But this lesson is such , subject closed, in your opinion the xp deus 2 , not 1 greatest machine ever created, simply embarrassed all others, ok we donā€™t need no more , im concerned for your health, itā€™s exhausting to see you go to such unnecessary lengths to prove your point, we get it. John I appreciate your vast knowledge, videos etc, wonderfu, best of health and many great finds, god bless sir.

jnns

Tenderfoot
Oct 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the money to purchase either the legend or the D2, my question is I'm ok with knowing how to detect but I keep hearing how difficult the learning curve on the D2 is. I want it for all environments and currently do not have a machine that works in salt water. So how difficult is the D2 to learn? I watched Cal on some videos and he says factory settings can be turn on and go not that hard but paystreak says very hard and not for mediocre detectorists. Any advice? thanks.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paystreak is saying a lot of things these days that are garbage .......The Deus II can be used as a turn on and go machine with a very slight learning curve.... Question is what do you want out of a metal detector??
I am bailing on this thread ...I said what I had to say and people can take it or leave it....

Last edited:

MikeRo

Jul 31, 2019
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
ace 350, equinox600, equinox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Paystreak is saying a lot of things these days that are garbage .......The Deus II can be used as a turn on and go machine with a very slight learning curve.... Question is what do you want out of a metal detector??
I am bailing on this thread ...I said what I had to say and people can take it or leave
I am bailing on this thread ...I said what I had to say and people can take it or leave it....
Iā€™ve been following this thread and I donā€™t see the problem/ issue. Watch what videos you want, research what you want, & buy what you want.
I have a equinox 800.,I ordered an XP2 a couple weeks agoā€¦.. I can afford it. The legend was off the board for me because it is supposedly an equinox equal & I want something better.
If the XP2 doesnā€™t perform or satisfy me, Iā€™ll just sell it!
Calabashā€¦ā€¦ I enjoy & appreciate your opinions & videos. The money & time that you put in to unbiased ( in my opinion) testing of different machines SHOULD be appreciated, you donā€™t HAVE to do it & share with the public! Doing videos takes time & resources.
Bottom line, in my opinion, if you want/can afford a $200 unit-$600 unit-$900unit- $1200 unit-$1600 unit- $2000 + unitā€¦ā€¦. Buy what you want & do what you will !
Nobody should be called out, questioned, or bashed for their opinionsā€¦ā€¦ā€¦. You donā€™t have to watch their videos, read their posts, or give a rats ass otherwise!
Donā€™t mean to offend anyone, just my 2 cents( and Iā€™ve found a few)! GOD BLESS & happy hunting with whatever machine you prefer!

Clad Crusader

Nov 16, 2020
Peoria, IL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At one point I arrived at the realization that the Deus 2 is the best all around detector except for the situation in which I would be using it the most...parks. For what it is worth, my two cents. First, I really enjoy your vids Calabash - have learned a lot. However, admittedly it was your videos that prompted me to buy the Legend instead of the Deus II. This was not an easy decision but for me after researching the Nox and D-II it was clear neither would best serve my purposes.

You had always said in modern trash in parks you preferred the Nox to the D1. I think this was due to target ID on the D1 being fairly poor and the inherent challenges identifying coin signals from other non-ferrous targets in a bed of pull tabs, can slaw, and other common junk. All I have access to is parks and maybe an occasional home site. As a park hunter exclusively who can only go ~3 hours per week I knew the D1 was going to be pure frustration and therefore was leaning toward the Nox. However, I soon learned the Nox was plagued by countless issues that would nearly ensure having to pay more for shafts and inevitably having the machine break down. Moreover, just saw a lot of people complaining about how clunky it is and a dread to swing. So then I was kind of stuck. I wanted accurate ID, depth, and high likelihood of pulling good targets but didn't want the drag of always wondering when the machine is about to break or left dealing with the headaches due to poor build quality.

I was then really excited about the Deus2 being multifrequency and reportedly having improved ID. However, amid all of the videos that were released (including yours) I had never seen convincing evidence it would serve my purpose in the parks and instead be plagued by the same trouble the Deus1 had that prompted you to say you preferred the Nox in parks. I think I saw one video by you coin shooting live digs in a park-like setting and you pulled a can and a couple of surface level modern pennies but aside from that I have yet to really see a convincing live run with the D2 in a park. I see you scuba diving to he bottom of ponds and hunting iron infested colonial sites (which are both awesome) but neither would I ever be doing. However, I have yet to see you put the Deus 2 to the very test you always said was the primary weakness of the Deus 1 which is the parks. I would love to see you take the Legend to a modern park and do a live and compare that to a live run with the Deus 2; I feel that is the situation most detectorists can relate to. Like what is the trash to coin ratio, types of coins, etc. - I dunno just ideas.

I eventually went with the Legend. and after just two hunts have pulled silver from places I hit 20 times with the AT Pro (I know u aren't a fan of the Pro so that might not be saying much, but it is still finding things left behind) and am pulling micro jewelry such as pieces of old cufflinks. Besides an occasional pull tabs I have literally minimal little to no trash. In my opinion the Legend preserves the parks and enhances the experience by avoiding unnecessary digging and makes for a much me enjoyable experience. Additionally, it is very comfortable to swing and never once while enjoying myself an I concerns about it breaking down. I am just thinking outload here but that was my decision process in going with the Legend.. Thanks for your vids, look forward to seeing your hunts in the future on YouTube.

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every hobby is so competitive it comes to the point of almost ruining the whole experience. If you are dragging a Pinpointer on the ground to find items and having fun more power to you!
Indeed, that's one of my tricks! Since I'm already on the ground, it has happened more times than not that a pinpointer (PulseDive) ground swing has produced low hanging fruit.

Peterw

Aug 9, 2015
Blairsville Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At one point I arrived at the realization that the Deus 2 is the best all around detector except for the situation in which I would be using it the most...parks. For what it is worth, my two cents. First, I really enjoy your vids Calabash - have learned a lot. However, admittedly it was your videos that prompted me to buy the Legend instead of the Deus II. This was not an easy decision but for me after researching the Nox and D-II it was clear neither would best serve my purposes.

You had always said in modern trash in parks you preferred the Nox to the D1. I think this was due to target ID on the D1 being fairly poor and the inherent challenges identifying coin signals from other non-ferrous targets in a bed of pull tabs, can slaw, and other common junk. All I have access to is parks and maybe an occasional home site. As a park hunter exclusively who can only go ~3 hours per week I knew the D1 was going to be pure frustration and therefore was leaning toward the Nox. However, I soon learned the Nox was plagued by countless issues that would nearly ensure having to pay more for shafts and inevitably having the machine break down. Moreover, just saw a lot of people complaining about how clunky it is and a dread to swing. So then I was kind of stuck. I wanted accurate ID, depth, and high likelihood of pulling good targets but didn't want the drag of always wondering when the machine is about to break or left dealing with the headaches due to poor build quality.

I was then really excited about the Deus2 being multifrequency and reportedly having improved ID. However, amid all of the videos that were released (including yours) I had never seen convincing evidence it would serve my purpose in the parks and instead be plagued by the same trouble the Deus1 had that prompted you to say you preferred the Nox in parks. I think I saw one video by you coin shooting live digs in a park-like setting and you pulled a can and a couple of surface level modern pennies but aside from that I have yet to really see a convincing live run with the D2 in a park. I see you scuba diving to he bottom of ponds and hunting iron infested colonial sites (which are both awesome) but neither would I ever be doing. However, I have yet to see you put the Deus 2 to the very test you always said was the primary weakness of the Deus 1 which is the parks. I would love to see you take the Legend to a modern park and do a live and compare that to a live run with the Deus 2; I feel that is the situation most detectorists can relate to. Like what is the trash to coin ratio, types of coins, etc. - I dunno just ideas.

I eventually went with the Legend. and after just two hunts have pulled silver from places I hit 20 times with the AT Pro (I know u aren't a fan of the Pro so that might not be saying much, but it is still finding things left behind) and am pulling micro jewelry such as pieces of old cufflinks. Besides an occasional pull tabs I have literally minimal little to no trash. In my opinion the Legend preserves the parks and enhances the experience by avoiding unnecessary digging and makes for a much me enjoyable experience. Additionally, it is very comfortable to swing and never once while enjoying myself an I concerns about it breaking down. I am just thinking out loud here but that was my decision process in going with the Legend.. Thanks for your vids, look forward to seeing your hunts in the future on YouTube.
Great post,glad to hear some positive comments about the Legend. I just ordered the pro pack today and hope to have it this week

tometusns

Feb 16, 2013
Carthage, Mo.
Detector(s) used
e-trac, AT pro, XLT Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So buying a $1600 machine won't improve my finds if I'm in the wrong location? How is that possible? I thought I could just buy a Deus II and the great finds would be everywhere! Wow, good to know! Lol!

And of course, your comment is the classic reply to anyone finding the good stuff with a $500 machine. "You live in New Endland, so the large cents and colonial relics are everywhere!" Wrong. It's not as easy as it looks. I can give you a list of at least 100 spots in Rhode Island that will have absolutely no colonial relics or even pre-1900 coins. It's just not that easy to find the good stuff here in New England.
I guess what youā€™re saying is Terryā€™s comment is 100% correct. Then I agree with you 100%. Location has everything to do with what youā€™re gonna find. Now finding a good location isnā€™t always easy. Donā€™t forget that the finds that got some of these utube heroes their name werenā€™t found with a machine that just came out. šŸ˜

tometusns

Feb 16, 2013
Carthage, Mo.
Detector(s) used
e-trac, AT pro, XLT Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess what youā€™re saying is Terryā€™s comment is 100% correct. Then I agree with you 100%. Location has everything to do with what youā€™re gonna find. Now finding a good location isnā€™t always easy. Donā€™t forget that the finds that got some of these utube heroes their name werenā€™t found with a machine that just came out. šŸ˜
I should rephrase that last statement a little to say ā€œthe finds werenā€™t made with the machines that just came outā€ instead of a machine that just came out. Which Iā€™m sure some of their banner finds were made with a machine that had just come out prior to the ones this thread is referring to. I might be thinking too much. lol

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price donā€™t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your right, as far as finds go, potential places of effort, we do study old maps so we are in hoping going to a place that once was, coins or relics. I suppose one machine might have the ability to offer a little more but nothing significant, , deeper,separates better, I mean thats it, being lighter and wireless donā€™t find things.

Peterw

Aug 9, 2015
Blairsville Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my Legend this morning and took it out to a few sites today. I have not experienced any of the bad results I've read from others. I'll say this,and it's just my opinion..The same things I dislike about the equinox I dislike about the legend,,what I like about the equinox I like about the legend. I need more time on the legend, but my opinion right now is the legend and the equinox 800 could be twins,,and that's not a bad thing at all.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great keep testing

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread