Notka makro LEGEND detector issues

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry you have been sponsored by them-no?
Reduction in $$$
Gifted
Seems to me that you will go to the ends of the earth promoting the machine then.
It's only a natural fit.
I give you something free/reduced it's all upside.

Have you taken the machine to a known iron patch yet?
An old friend that you have cleaned out
Yet this machine still produced a mitt full of misses.
I think everyone knows my YouTube channel is sponsored by Nokta Makro, but I also think everyone knows I owned and used the Minelab Equinox 600 for several years. My first one flooded at Jones Beach, and on the replacement (that I had to wait six-weeks for), the coil ears snapped in the water. The very first video I did with the Legend WAS in an iron patch, where I pulled coins instead of iron.

I'm absolutely sure the Legend is the real deal, and beats ALL machines in its price range - period. I don't need people to like me or Nokta. If it is the real deal, it will prove itself. See you back here in a month! :occasion14:

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah no but I’m concerned because I at least want a stable machine that isn’t so darn inconsistent, you tell me the engineer can’t figure these things out, updates are great but please give us a product that isn’t inconsistent, one fella puts his reputation on it and can be held liable for such comments, but I give him benefit of doubt you no why , we should expect certain standards in products, thankyou

Good news then. The Legend is not inconsistent. It performs very well and the ID numbers hold consistent throughout the various program (a dime rings as a dime in all programs).

Some people did experience different ID numbers (using Multi 2) with version 1.06. Within mere days that issue (and not everyone experienced the problem) has been fixed. It is not an issue. It wasn't much of an issue during the few days that it was an issue for some.

I find it remarkable how a select few push a "The Sky is Falling" meme regarding every (perceived) slight imperfection with the Legend, but take a completely different viewpoint when it comes to a machine that costs more than twice what a Legend costs.

Everything built by man has flaws. Everything - including a $635 machine, and a $1600 machine. Yes, that $1600 machine has had issues too.

The Legend's "issues" have been software related. Code - thousands and thousands of lines that dictate what happens when a button is pressed, how the machine reacts when specific data is analyzed, etc.. Make a mistake in that code and the expected reactions can be altered. Worse still, a change in some lines of code - even without a mistake - can cause problems in unexpected areas, because of all the interactions.

In a world where very few can string a few sentences together without making some slight mistake, it seems rather disingenuous to expect zero mistakes from those who are writing thousands and thousands of lines [of information].

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find it comically entertaining to hear so many people saying you shouldn't trust opinions from detectorists who are given free machines to test.

Assuming that person is a long-time detectorist who actually enjoys detecting and not an actual staff employee of the company, they want to use the machine that works the best for themselves out in the field -- just like everyone else.

If they're receiving a machine for free it's more likely because they were already using detectors from that company and the company noticed, asking them to test equipment when they have something new to offer.

I would also assume that if a new detector came to market that that same tester would be interested in trying it out to see if it indeed offers advantages over whatever they're currently using, even if it were from a brand they've never used before.

And if that new machine were truly better they would very likely change over to that new detector/brand, regardless of whether or not they had in the past received free detectors from a different brand.

I've seen the same happen within the classic car community regarding recommended engine oil. One person who owns an oil testing company is constantly berated for selling the brand of oil that he says is the best for early Porsche engines (Send them a sample of used oil and they can determine some important potential engine condition issues based on contaminants in the oil). They claim he's only saying it's the best oil option because he sells it, when the obvious reason he sells it is because he has the testing abilities to prove it's the best option, not the other way around.

I believe you can say the same for these independent metal detectorists who test for companies. First and foremost they use their chosen detector because they've determined it to be best for their type of detecting, not because they were asked to test it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spoiler Alert!

There are a few "experts" in every field that question bold steps forward and proclaim their theories. For some there were flaws in the .06 download (although I did not experience them), and a fix was delivered within days. Can ANYONE think of another metal detector manufacturer that can - or has EVER, responded to their customers that fast?

Dilek, does get defensive because she and the Company have poured their Hearts and Minds into the new Legend. There are Minelab sponsored YouTubers getting a lot of clicks finding "flaws" with the Legend. One guy even complained about the coil cover! Really?!

The Legend is the real deal, and so is Dilek and Nokta Makro. Let's have this conversation again in one month. :skullflag:
I agree, benefit of doub.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think everyone knows my YouTube channel is sponsored by Nokta Makro, but I also think everyone knows I owned and used the Minelab Equinox 600 for several years. My first one flooded at Jones Beach, and on the replacement (that I had to wait six-weeks for), the coil ears snapped in the water. The very first video I did with the Legend WAS in an iron patch, where I pulled coins instead of iron.

I'm absolutely sure the Legend is the real deal, and beats ALL machines in its price range - period. I don't need people to like me or Nokta. If it is the real deal, it will prove itself. See you back here in a month! :occasion14:
Good Post Terry THANKS FOR SHARING

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I here is it’s a 600 dollar machine, I want one answer please from a knowledgeable person, no bull, what is it that we get for 1600 dollars, any answers what do we get for 1600 dollars, cost more must have super powers, really what should the real price be for the deus 2 in reality. I’m tired of hearing John legend is junk, paystreak a notka puppet. So what are you getting for 1000 dollars more once I get answer I drop this subject forever because its ridiculous now, thankyou

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I here is it’s a 600 dollar machine, I want one answer please from a knowledgeable person, no bull, what is it that we get for 1600 dollars, any answers what do we get for 1600 dollars, cost more must have super powers, really what should the real price be for the deus 2 in reality. I’m tired of hearing John legend is junk, paystreak a notka puppet. So what are you getting for 1000 dollars more once I get answer I drop this subject forever because its ridiculous now, thankyou
I can,t answer that question and I,ve not used a Legend.I,m reading good things about the Legend,seriously considering getting one for my first detector. I ain,t got 1600 for a Deus II.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think that is a very good question, but the answers would vary depending upon a person's perspective, needs, and willingness to pay the additional money.

The Deus II has a much better underwater rating (66 feet vs 10 feet for the Legend). If you're someone who dives, that difference is a big deal and likely justifies the price difference. If you aren't someone who dives, the difference is of no value (but you'd still pay for it if you bought the Deus II).

The Dues II has a 5-year warranty and the Legend has a 3-year warranty. For some that may be significant.

The Deus II is wireless (unless you're water hunting). There are advantages to that and disadvantages. It's a matter of personal preference.

The Deus II can be paired with the MI6 pinpointer. Nokta-Makro is working on a pinpointer that can pair with the Legend, but that pinpointer is not available at this time.

The Deus II has more user-adjustable features. That can be an advantage or a disadvantage. It's a matter of personal preference.

The Deus II has (or will have fairly soon) 3 coil options. The Legend has (or will have soon) 3 coil option, but Nokta-Makro is exploring 3 additional coil options (it is not known how many of those 3 potential coil options will be realized).

Performance:

I don't know the answer when it comes to performance and the Deus II. I don't own a Deus II and have never used one.

My suspicion is that the Deus II is a very good performer, but like all machines it will have weaknesses too.

I do own a Legend. It is a very good performer, but like all machines it will have weaknesses too.

I looked into buying a Deus II. I watched all sorts of videos, read the claims being made, and read the owner's manual dozens of times. To me, the Deus II is mostly XP's answer to saltwater hunting - something that I don't do a lot of.

While I personally don't doubt that the Deus II offers a performance increase over the Deus (1) - I don't see enough of a performance boost (for the type of hunting that I mostly do) to justify the expenditure. Others have reached a different conclusion.

I don't know if the Legend can match the Deus II performance-wise. My assumption is that it cannot (yet - but it may with future updates) but the performance differences are not great enough for me to fork over $1600.

I do know that the Legend, the Nox 800, and the Deus (1)(I own all 3 machines) are all very close performance-wise. Each machine has strengths and each machine has weaknesses. Of those 3 machines, if I could have only 1 it would be the Legend.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
2-Nokta/Macro Legend Pro Pack
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Nokta Pulse Dive 2in1 kit
Garrett AT Pro (not Used)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
here is my perspective on the Legend which I do own and have used quite a bit,the Legend was ok out of the box, once the 1.05 update was released to us it got a little better but not on beach according to what I seen and read I personally do not detect beaches and most likely never will unless Cali falls off into the pacific, what I seen in the 1.05 update was all good for me and the ground I detect, which ranges from low 80s to extremely mineralized mid 90s on Ground balance numbers, I have also hit some ground that ran 94-98 on GB numbers and was littered with hot rocks the Legend ran moderately stable on the conditions I detected with those GB numbers, but a littered field of hot rocks makes any detector run unstable and not pleasant to use those areas are what I have a Pulse detector for,but I wanted to see how the legend would handle those types of areas, then the 1.06 update was released which for me personally was not good at all, I had differentiating target IDs, just like Calabash showed in his video except had I not seen his video i most likely would not have seen those differentiating IDs simply because I stayed in Multi 1 or 15 KHz most of the time, the differentiating TIDs only occurred when you shut the Legend down in Multi 2 and re booted it back on it was strange to say the least, it also affected my tones simply because when it occurred it would literally throw a dime ID and a quarter ID into different bins and change the tones I had set up, I had a program set up just to detect IDs quarters and higher which means I had everything below 50 notched out when the differentiating IDs would occur a quarter would come in at 44 or 45 which is normally a dime TID, when it would occur you were literally walking past a quarter because of the way I had everything set up with my tone breaks and tone volumes and tone pitch I had it set up to make everything below TID of 50 to sound like garbage, I set it up the way I did because there are days I do not want to or feel like digging every dime and nickel and just want to get quarters or higher, I reported what I was seeing to Dilek and with in two days they came out with the 1.07 update to replace the flawed 1.06, so far with the 1.07 I am loving everything about it, the tones seem clearer, taget IDs seem more stable and it seems to run even more quite to me, I also feel the 1.07 has a little more depth then the 1.04 and the 1.05.

The Deus 2 I can not comment on and even if I had one I most definitely would never do a comparison between the Legend and the Deus 2, that's just me though.

I do have friends that have the Equinox 800 and 600 the 800 to me is the only detector that the Legend should be compared to in my mind, because that was Nokta/Macros goal, I will say when my buddies and I detect together I do not and neither do they notice a huge advantage either way the Legend and the Equinox are vary simmilar in depth, and stability on the ground we detect, the one huge difference which is the one that swayed my decision to purchase the legend is the build quality difference and that one thing alone to me is the huge difference between the Legend and the Equinox 800

if I detected relic dumps I may have very well purchased a Deus 2 but I do not, so the Legend was the logical decision for me, I may sometime in the future have a Deus 2 but that is up in the air rite now, I will also tell you that I am also considering purchasing a second Legend Pro Pack because I like the legend that much, I want my wife to have one to use when we go out, with her ailment for me it would be easier to teach her if she had the same machine in her hands as I am using and it will help her mind to keep working, and anyone that knows me will understand what I am saying about my wife.

sorry for the long rant

Last edited:

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here is my perspective on the Legend which I do own and have used quite a bit,the Legend was ok out of the box, once the 1.05 update was released to us it got a little better but not on beach according to what I seen and read I personally do not detect beaches and most likely never will unless Cali falls off into the pacific, what I seen in the 1.05 update was all good for me and the ground I detect, which ranges from low 80s to extremely mineralized mid 90s on Ground balance numbers, I have also hit some ground that ran 94-98 on GB numbers and was littered with hot rocks the Legend ran moderately stable on the conditions I detected with those GB numbers, but a littered field of hot rocks makes any detector run unstable and not pleasant to use those areas are what I have a Pulse detector for,but I wanted to see how the legend would handle those types of areas, then the 1.06 update was released which for me personally was not good at all, I had differentiating target IDs, just like Calabash showed in his video except had I not seen his video i most likely would not have seen those differentiating IDs simply because I stayed in Multi 1 or 15 KHz most of the time, the differentiating TIDs only occurred when you shut the Legend down in Multi 2 and re booted it back on it was strange to say the least, it also affected my tones simply because when it occurred it would literally throw a dime ID and a quarter ID into different bins and change the tones I had set up, I had a program set up just to detect IDs quarters and higher which means I had everything below 50 notched out when the differentiating IDs would occur a quarter would come in at 44 or 45 which is normally a dime TID, when it would occur you were literally walking past a quarter because of the way I had everything set up with my tone breaks and tone volumes and tone pitch I had it set up to make everything below TID of 50 to sound like garbage, I set it up the way I did because there are days I do not want to or feel like digging every dime and nickel and just want to get quarters or higher, I reported what I was seeing to Dilek and with in two days they came out with the 1.07 update to replace the flawed 1.06, so far with the 1.07 I am loving everything about it, the tones seem clearer, taget IDs seem more stable and it seems to run even more quite to me, I also feel the 1.07 has a little more depth then the 1.04 and the 1.05.

The Deus 2 I can not comment on and even if I had one I most definitely would never do a comparison between the Legend and the Deus 2, that's just me though.

I do have friends that have the Equinox 800 and 600 the 800 to me is the only detector that the Legend should be compared to in my mind, because that was Nokta/Macros goal, I will say when my buddies and I detect together I do not and neither do they notice a huge advantage either way the Legend and the Equinox are vary simmilar in depth, and stability on the ground we detect, the one huge difference which is the one that swayed my decision to purchase the legend is the build quality difference and that one thing alone to me is the huge difference between the Legend and the Equinox 800

if I detected relic dumps I may have very well purchased a Deus 2 but I do not, so the Legend was the logical decision for me, I may sometime in the future have a Deus 2 but that is up in the air rite now, I will also tell you that I am also considering purchasing a second Legend Pro Pack because I like the legend that much, I want my wife to have one to use when we go out, with her ailment for me it would be easier to teach her if she had the same machine in her hands as I am using and it will help her mind to keep working, and anyone that knows me will understand what I am saying about my wife.

sorry for the long rant
Good write up,understandable and concise information! Than you!

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Consumer feedback is the only way we can give receive honest feedback to possible potential ownership of this machine thankyou

kenpodetector

Jan 1, 2012
Northern NV. and Kennesaw Ga.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Gold Monster, SDC2300.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look I’m concerned metal detectorist. Why someone from notka makro should get on and tell us what the heck is going on with this detector, look I will mention this persons name because he’s well known and does extensive test on detectors, and the users should be concern. Calabash has determined many problems or issues with this machine, folks it doesn’t matter if you like this person or not, frankly it’s a good thing he’s doing this. Ultimately he could look mighty stupid if he’s wrong and notka could say he’s defaming them. It might serve you better to watch his YouTube video, I don’t want you to believe me, go watch. Let’s just put the nonsense aside nothing perfect, no kidding, but I’ve never seen such problems from target I’d, air gap, to battery charging, to a possible chip used, updates may not solve all these problems. Dilek should come on and tell us the real deal so we know what to expect, folks this machine doesn’t matter the price, according to those that test, this machine is so inconsisten, I’m considering buying one. If any of you think this doesn’t matter then you’d buy anything. It’s ok to ask questions. Some of you claim to be electronic experts, everyone one should do those test and see what unit they hav. John calabash you put yourself out there to the point of no return being very critical calling this machine junk and ferrous check a gimmick. Well sir let there’s nothing wrong with constructive criticism if it’s taken properly. Ok ms. Dilek you better step up and tell us the truth before you have a lot of buyers having problems that where not told knowing or not. Thankyou to everyone in this hobby, it’s important to know what your buying and the potential problems, anyone that owns this machine should tell us how there unit is after testing, thankyou
I have said it years ago with the gold racer when it hit the market. Dont buy there products. It looks enticing esp with all the so called you tube experts however they are just not well built period. So I see nothing has chanhed. Stick with big names minelab, garret fisher etc...

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
2-Nokta/Macro Legend Pro Pack
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Nokta Pulse Dive 2in1 kit
Garrett AT Pro (not Used)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have said it years ago with the gold racer when it hit the market. Dont buy there products. It looks enticing esp with all the so called you tube experts however they are just not well built period. So I see nothing has chanhed. Stick with big names minelab, garret fisher etc...
so let me see if I understand you correctly by your comment you had one bad experience with a detector from Nokta/Macro so now because of that one experience all detectors are bad from that company, or did you even actually have a Racer in your hands or are you basing your comments on assumption???

the legend is one of the best built detectors I have ever had in my hands very good to great ergonomics, easy to understand menus when trying to set things up for where I detect, and I could go on and on but I will not , and as I mentioned the build quality is second to none, and the more updates Nokta/Macro puts out the better it will be, in my opinion,it is turning out to be a great all around detector, for very little dollars, I like the legend so much that I have purchased a second one (read my reply before this one)for my wife that's how good I know the Legend is

yes there will be stumbling blocks as far as updates with the Legend like the 1.06 update which was replaced with in days of the discovery of the glitch but to me that is understandable, nokta/macro did not just hide behind the scenes they jumped on the issue rite away and it was fixed, name any other company that does that today that is still in business.

the Simplex plus is the same way, yes there have been reports of a flimsy shaft but I myself did not have that issue dollar for dollar the Simplex Plus is probably the best bang for your buck that many higher priced detectors lack, the flimsy shaft issue there is a cheap inexpensive fix for that one which nokta/macro has a carbon fiber shaft that fixes that one issue on the simplex plus

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread