Notka makro LEGEND detector issues

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look I’m concerned metal detectorist. Why someone from notka makro should get on and tell us what the heck is going on with this detector, look I will mention this persons name because he’s well known and does extensive test on detectors, and the users should be concern. Calabash has determined many problems or issues with this machine, folks it doesn’t matter if you like this person or not, frankly it’s a good thing he’s doing this. Ultimately he could look mighty stupid if he’s wrong and notka could say he’s defaming them. It might serve you better to watch his YouTube video, I don’t want you to believe me, go watch. Let’s just put the nonsense aside nothing perfect, no kidding, but I’ve never seen such problems from target I’d, air gap, to battery charging, to a possible chip used, updates may not solve all these problems. Dilek should come on and tell us the real deal so we know what to expect, folks this machine doesn’t matter the price, according to those that test, this machine is so inconsisten, I’m considering buying one. If any of you think this doesn’t matter then you’d buy anything. It’s ok to ask questions. Some of you claim to be electronic experts, everyone one should do those test and see what unit they hav. John calabash you put yourself out there to the point of no return being very critical calling this machine junk and ferrous check a gimmick. Well sir let there’s nothing wrong with constructive criticism if it’s taken properly. Ok ms. Dilek you better step up and tell us the truth before you have a lot of buyers having problems that where not told knowing or not. Thankyou to everyone in this hobby, it’s important to know what your buying and the potential problems, anyone that owns this machine should tell us how there unit is after testing, thankyou

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dilek has posted on some other detecting forums asking for what users want to see in the next upgrade. Not sure if she has here yet?

Having a manufacturer reach out is a great thing. I only remember Whites being as "personal" in their dealings with users.

Enrique

Greenie
Jun 27, 2005
Henryville, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Tesoro Silver Saber Plus, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was just about to pull the trigger on this machine, but now I'm confused.
I've seen reviews of this machine on YouTube, by several other people and none have stated anything about any major issues. Can someone point me to where I can read up on this or view the video?

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just about to pull the trigger on this machine, but now I'm confused.
I've seen reviews of this machine on YouTube, by several other people and none have stated anything about any major issues. Can someone point me to where I can read up on this or view the video?
I would at least look on the Makro Legend board here. I don’t have many hours on mine yet but no major issues except it is finding targets clearly deeper than my Xterra did.

Enrique

Greenie
Jun 27, 2005
Henryville, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Tesoro Silver Saber Plus, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would at least look on the Makro Legend board here. I don’t have many hours on mine yet but no major issues except it is finding targets clearly deeper than my Xterra did.
Thanks, will do.đź‘Ť

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dilek puts herself out there to be hammered, well she is a representative of notka makro, be open minded, yes the legend was delayed for long time regardless, my concern is these so called testers I don’t think these guys are best testers available, so then machine was released probably to soon, yes updates can be added on but this was aweful from beginning. People should not compare this to xp deus, why the cost, no the cost doesn’t mean everything, but i myself would like to know what 1000.00 more value I’m getting, look tell me I’m waiting

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dilek puts herself out there to be hammered, well she is a representative of notka makro, be open minded, yes the legend was delayed for long time regardless, my concern is these so called testers I don’t think these guys are best testers available, so then machine was released probably to soon, yes updates can be added on but this was aweful from beginning. People should not compare this to xp deus, why the cost, no the cost doesn’t mean everything, but i myself would like to know what 1000.00 more value I’m getting, look tell me I’m waiting

Are you having trouble with your Legend?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
From the inconsistent ID between the programs has me wondering why, as shown in the one video posted up. (A silver half at 10")
I was out with the Deus l the other day, and went through 4 programs on different targets to see the difference, sound level/clarity was the only real difference, the ID # stayed stable.
I listen then look at the XY screen to confirm as the hearing isn't the greatest. (Loss in the high range levels)

I couldn't imagine having a machine that would give a totally different value to a target for each program.
The complexity of different combinations would just not worth knowing at this time in life.
K.I.S.S. is warranted when it comes to some things in life.

Why would they release, then start right out of the gate to an upgrade, and asking what else does the users want.

It pretty obvious at this point that the machine has some issues, some have been fixed, more needs to be done.

The roll out of machines today and the ability to just have a version uploaded is actually pretty amazing.

I usually wait for a good period of time to let the dust settle with any rollout.
To hear all the :hello2::headbang::dontknow::BangHead:??? be expressed about the machines.(Like what is happening with previous machine releases)

Yet there will be the pikers that will state that it's the best invention since sliced bread.
There will be the ones that have brand loyalty.
Then there will be the purchasers, and doing the quick resell as it wasn't what they hoped for, and believed the pikers.
Then the honesty of a little of each will creep out, and then everyone will know the actual truth of the machines ability.

Nothing is perfect it seems but the $$$ spent on some of these toys they better be close. It seems that this rollout was a tad premature perhaps. Time will sort out issues perhaps.

The Nox 800 was a consideration, then the leakage/ears breaking/ergonomic issues put that one out of even considering.

The Deus ll over the Deus l? Not enough side by side testing to warrant a purchase yet either. The money spent on this hobby is large over the years-but hasn't reached what a Lund bass boat would of cost me. So it's pretty cheap hobby really, and the passion is still high-though doing a 10 hr hunt still is easier on the mind than the body.

diamonddave

Jan 4, 2021
WESTERN PA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB VANQUISH 540 PP
MINELAB X-TERRA PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree pepperj. I could MD for another 20 years and not exceed my bass fishing expenditures over the years. I enjoy catching the monster largemouth and the fight of the smallies but you know what it is gonna be on the end of that line just about every cast. This detecting hobby is addictive and every signal gives you the potential to see and hold something you never imagined. Sold my bass boat a few years back and have not missed it a bit.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From the inconsistent ID between the programs has me wondering why, as shown in the one video posted up. (A silver half at 10")
I was out with the Deus l the other day, and went through 4 programs on different targets to see the difference, sound level/clarity was the only real difference, the ID # stayed stable.
I listen then look at the XY screen to confirm as the hearing isn't the greatest. (Loss in the high range levels)

I couldn't imagine having a machine that would give a totally different value to a target for each program.
The complexity of different combinations would just not worth knowing at this time in life.
K.I.S.S. is warranted when it comes to some things in life.

Why would they release, then start right out of the gate to an upgrade, and asking what else does the users want.

It pretty obvious at this point that the machine has some issues, some have been fixed, more needs to be done.

The roll out of machines today and the ability to just have a version uploaded is actually pretty amazing.

I usually wait for a good period of time to let the dust settle with any rollout.
To hear all the :hello2::headbang::dontknow::BangHead:??? be expressed about the machines.(Like what is happening with previous machine releases)

Yet there will be the pikers that will state that it's the best invention since sliced bread.
There will be the ones that have brand loyalty.
Then there will be the purchasers, and doing the quick resell as it wasn't what they hoped for, and believed the pikers.
Then the honesty of a little of each will creep out, and then everyone will know the actual truth of the machines ability.

Nothing is perfect it seems but the $$$ spent on some of these toys they better be close. It seems that this rollout was a tad premature perhaps. Time will sort out issues perhaps.

The Nox 800 was a consideration, then the leakage/ears breaking/ergonomic issues put that one out of even considering.

The Deus ll over the Deus l? Not enough side by side testing to warrant a purchase yet either. The money spent on this hobby is large over the years-but hasn't reached what a Lund bass boat would of cost me. So it's pretty cheap hobby really, and the passion is still high-though doing a 10 hr hunt still is easier on the mind than the body.

I have no experience with the legend so my comments on why the target ID varies between programs may not have any merit. But if you're used to the Deus 1 you're probably aware its default setting is to "ID Norm" in all programs. This equalizes the target ID no matter what frequency it's running. You can turn ID Norm off, resulting in different target ID numbers for the same target depending on frequency.

This is actually very useful if you're unsure of a target's composition: If you detect a target in 17kHz for example, but are unsure if it's worth digging, you lower the frequency -- if the target ID stays the same it's worth digging, if it changes it's junk. I use this feature often.

But the Deus 1 is not simultaneous multi frequency. Perhaps the Legend's multi frequency doesn't allow for consistent target ID because all frequencies are used at once.

Since the Deus 2 is multi frequency, I'm curious if the target ID numbers are consistent when running multi or if it varies the same as the Legend.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have no experience with the legend so my comments on why the target ID varies between programs may not have any merit. But if you're used to the Deus 1 you're probably aware its default setting is to "ID Norm" in all programs. This equalizes the target ID no matter what frequency it's running. You can turn ID Norm off, resulting in different target ID numbers for the same target depending on frequency.

This is actually very useful if you're unsure of a target's composition: If you detect a target in 17Hz for example, but are unsure if it's worth digging, you lower the frequency -- if the target ID stays the same it's worth digging, if it changes it's junk. I use this feature often.

But the Deus 1 is not simultaneous multi frequency. Perhaps the Legend's multi frequency doesn't allow for consistent target ID because all frequencies are used at once.

Since the Deus 2 is multi frequency, I'm curious if the target ID numbers are consistent when running multi or if it varies the same as the Legend.
Thank you, and actually that is very useful information you mentioned.
I'll give that a try the next time I'm playing around with the programs.
Even an old dog can learn a new trick.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're very welcome. I learned about this in Andy Sabisch's Deus book and have found it very useful. The book only briefly mentions this feature so you may have missed it if you've read it.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You're very welcome. I learned about this in Andy Sabisch's Deus book and have found it very useful. The book only briefly mentions this feature so you may have missed it if you've read it.
I'm too much a guy from the school of hard knocks of learning. :laughing7:
I might of read in passing that he had a book on the Deus but haven't got past that stage of researching it out.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Folks it’s not about diminishing a company reputation, certain electronics, chips are standard, we are not building arocket ship, if notka ferrous check to some is a gimmick, and xp deus 2 x y screen is like a little kid drawing lines, heck the whites v3i had better color screen than both , these 2 companies just throwing hazard to the wind. Metal detector electronics are standard stuff, , even iPad and android are simila for most part. Give us a dam detector without all this nonsense, a solid state detector with little bells and whistles, I need a detector that separates iron, goes relatively deep, and ID the darn item without fluctuation, very simple, come on there’s no bentley in detectors folks, simple language 3 companies currently, minelab literally have customer service issues, unit problems they failed to correct, notka makro , gotta stability problem also, and xp deus the Ferrari wanna be, sorry folks your 1600.00 doesn’t justify it, proof show me something the others aren’t finding, let’s get real, you can’t chatter all you want go buy whatever, but your not getting around the truth.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you having trouble with your Legend?
Ah no but I’m concerned because I at least want a stable machine that isn’t so darn inconsistent, you tell me the engineer can’t figure these things out, updates are great but please give us a product that isn’t inconsistent, one fella puts his reputation on it and can be held liable for such comments, but I give him benefit of doubt you no why , we should expect certain standards in products, thankyou

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spoiler Alert!

There are a few "experts" in every field that question bold steps forward and proclaim their theories. For some there were flaws in the .06 download (although I did not experience them), and a fix was delivered within days. Can ANYONE think of another metal detector manufacturer that can - or has EVER, responded to their customers that fast?

Dilek, does get defensive because she and the Company have poured their Hearts and Minds into the new Legend. There are Minelab sponsored YouTubers getting a lot of clicks finding "flaws" with the Legend. One guy even complained about the coil cover! Really?!

The Legend is the real deal, and so is Dilek and Nokta Makro. Let's have this conversation again in one month. :skullflag:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Folks it’s not about diminishing a company reputation, certain electronics, chips are standard, we are not building arocket ship, if notka ferrous check to some is a gimmick, and xp deus 2 x y screen is like a little kid drawing lines, heck the whites v3i had better color screen than both , these 2 companies just throwing hazard to the wind. Metal detector electronics are standard stuff, , even iPad and android are simila for most part. Give us a dam detector without all this nonsense, a solid state detector with little bells and whistles, I need a detector that separates iron, goes relatively deep, and ID the darn item without fluctuation, very simple, come on there’s no bentley in detectors folks, simple language 3 companies currently, minelab literally have customer service issues, unit problems they failed to correct, notka makro , gotta stability problem also, and xp deus the Ferrari wanna be, sorry folks your 1600.00 doesn’t justify it, proof show me something the others aren’t finding, let’s get real, you can’t chatter all you want go buy whatever, but your not getting around the truth.
There's a choice on screens the horse shoe or the XY.
I switched over to the XY when I bought the HF coil many years ago.
Not anything to do with a little kid drawing lines, if one actually understand the interpretation of the sound/XY is telling the operator. It can be very accurate.
I'm not totally convinced at your logic in getting wrapped up in the $$$ and if it produce/show the finds.
It's the extra finds that are produced that you will never know that were there/missing that makes the difference.

I don't see a whole lot posted up at times justifying the Notka abilities of getting the little keepers out of the sites.
I see folks posting up a quarter in wet surf sand at 8" and getting an all out woody on-claiming it hit hard.
Big deal, show me at 18"+ inches and I might be impressed.
The Minelab SE in 2008 was getting those types of depths on the beaches.
14 yrs later folks are giddy over 8"

Folks in an England club mostly run only top line detectors-I have never heard of Notka even mentioned once in 14 yrs.
So what does that say about the make/model/manufacturer?
I would have thought that with 125-150 members, most bring a back up machine it would be mentioned a few times.
Nope/zip/nadda not even a consideration from what I gather from the equipment I've seen/heard.

I want to see the little keepers that this $6/700 dollar machine can sniff out of the iron patch. Show me these examples and how many.

Most machines will hit the large cents, or other larger non-ferrous. Lets start seeing the other small keepers.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Spoiler Alert!

There are a few "experts" in every field that question bold steps forward and proclaim their theories. For some there were flaws in the .06 download (although I did not experience them), and a fix was delivered within days. Can ANYONE think of another metal detector manufacturer that can - or has EVER, responded to their customers that fast?

Dilek, does get defensive because she and the Company have poured their Hearts and Minds into the new Legend. There are Minelab sponsored YouTubers getting a lot of clicks finding "flaws" with the Legend. One guy even complained about the coil cover! Really?!

The Legend is the real deal, and so is Dilek and Nokta Makro. Let's have this conversation again in one month. :skullflag:
Terry you have been sponsored by them-no?
Reduction in $$$
Gifted
Seems to me that you will go to the ends of the earth promoting the machine then.
It's only a natural fit.
I give you something free/reduced it's all upside.

Have you taken the machine to a known iron patch yet?
An old friend that you have cleaned out
Yet this machine still produced a mitt full of misses.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agree pepperj. I could MD for another 20 years and not exceed my bass fishing expenditures over the years. I enjoy catching the monster largemouth and the fight of the smallies but you know what it is gonna be on the end of that line just about every cast. This detecting hobby is addictive and every signal gives you the potential to see and hold something you never imagined. Sold my bass boat a few years back and have not missed it a bit.
Agree that MD is addictive hobby…, lifestyle, really…!

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Your comments make it clear you're not looking for a complicated detector and you're probably in the majority. Most just want to turn a detector on and go. If that's what works for you and you enjoy it, great. If detecting isn't enjoyable you wouldn't want to do it. But what's enjoyable to you isn't necessarily enjoyable to others.

I've had basic detectors and have enjoyed them for what they are. But I'm interested in technology. As substantial improvements are made, I research them. Most times I decide the new advances don't improve detecting enough, for me personally, to make me want to buy a new machine. Other times the advances add substantial benefits. Cost isn't an issue for me so that doesn't influence my decisions on what machine to buy. My machines don't need to pay for themselves. That's not why I detect. What matters most to me is if a new detector will add enjoyment to my hunting. Two important aspects of enjoyment for me are the ability to find more diggable targets, and to be able to customize the detector's capabilities based on ever-changing conditions just because I enjoy the challenge.

Currently for me, the Deus 1 fits these criteria. Its reactivity allows it to find more targets among extreme trash, find very small non-ferrous targets, easily distinguish between metals, and more. It is admittedly not a simple detector to learn if you plan on getting the most out of it, but that learning experience is enjoyable for me. And as I've said, I want detecting to be enjoyable. I do not usually enjoy simply turning on a machine and detecting in most situations. Beach detecting is an exception. I don't want to think at the beach. I want to just turn it on and go, which is when I use the Apex -- a basic, easy to use detector requiring almost no thought.

As far as 'proof' goes, if your definition of proof is one detector finds more valuable targets than another, that's determined by the location you're detecting, not the machine. And if there is a valuable target in a specific field, and the field has never been detected, and isn't full of trash, hot rocks, minerals, hot soil, etc, then you're probably going to be able to find that target with even the most basic detector.

But if the field has been gone over for decades, is completely full of every nuisance target imaginable, interfering with the detector's capabilities, then the basic machine will very likely miss that target. A more advanced detector will be able to sift through the trash once you understands the adjustments available.

So your 'proof' is in quantity of diggable targets -- you'll find more with a more advanced detector assuming you understand the machine. It's completely irrelevant if it actually finds more valuable targets since that depends on the location you're hunting, not the detector.

Everyone should use what they enjoy.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread