Notka pinpointer (Makro look alike) VS Whites TRX...

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion on the Nokta pointer is based on over half year of use.
I love it!
Very sensitive and design is well thot through.
Tough, and reliable battery compartment - as with the Garret Carrot, no screwing down pressure on the
battery, with a rubber (cork?) shim, that dislodges easily.
The Nokta has its buttons at the upper end of the probe, away from getting grime, dirt and water, that gets worked
into any crevice of the thing.
Easily rinsed off after your hunt....its Water Proof to 3'ft (1m), and the TRX is only water-resistant, I believe.
If you so choose, it has the ability to have the light on while digging in a deep, dark hole - is good
It has two coil covers, both of which I use - one is smooth and the other has a scraper edge.
(have I convinced you? - hope so!)

I am glad you are happy with your pointer. A couple of corrections like button location and grime. The buttons on the Makro are small and counter sunk in a small valley of plastic on the rear of the pointer. Normal use as you state requires a "rinse off" to prevent crud build up in the valleys around these buttons or they become stuck once the small amount of debris reaches the level of the button height. The Makro's sensitivity is far less than the TRX also. After the TRX release they also became water proof.
Should I have started off way back in the years of the Tiney Tec with a Makro and had to get use to the rear buttons then I would probably feel a bit different about the lack of fluid use of the Makro. My pointer of choice will definitely have to be the TRX.

OP
OP
R

Riches in Michigan

Sep 10, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK -
Just thought I would chime in here about my new Nokta.
I haven’t used it extensively enough to give a full blown review yet but would like to comment about how I feel so far, especially after reading all the other comments.
Before I made my purchase, I carefully and thoughtfully researched and reviewed all of the possibilities. That’s how I narrowed it down between the TRX and the Nokta in the first place.

Early on, I came to the conclusion that the Garrett Carrot was OUT. Although this pinpointer clearly had all of the desirable features I was looking for,
the numerous testimonies of warranty claims, premature failures, and overall frustration expressed by the various users was just too overwhelming.
In addition, I viewed a side by side comparison of the Nokta and the Carrot on YOU TUBE with the Nokta proving itself the more sensitive and capable tool. I’m sure the video is still out there for any unbelievers that wish to see for themselves.
The MineLab Pro Find 25 was too overpriced and didn’t seem to really knock my socks off in performance — had it been waterproof, I might feel differently. Anyway, I won’t bother commenting on every single thing I learned about all of the different products but will focus on the two I liked best.
The TRX is unquestionably the clear winner in depth and all out sensitivity. And you know what? I can see why people like the button location better on the TRX and Carrot. Also, according to Whites, the TRX is 100% domestically designed, manufactured and tested in Oregon.This appealed greatly and Whites is probably the only pinpointer maker who can make this claim. Perhaps one of the things I liked most about the TRX was that it is water proof to 10 feet (IP 68 certified). I am becoming more and more interested in hunting in the water and this was a feature I was looking for.

Ultimately, I elected to purchase the Nokta as the overall value and performance became undeniable. I actually viewed a YOU TUBE video of some
Australian guy beating his new Nokta on a tree just to demonstrate the durability! After receiving mine, I must say it does feel durable and well built.
It has a real solid feel to it and does not seem sloppily put together. Granted, I bought this online and never had the opportunity to handle any of them previously. Is this the norm? I don’t know but I’m not disappointed in the build quality so far. The price was competitive and comes with a lot.
The two tip covers are tough and a great idea. I don’t think they affect the sensitivity either. Not 100% sure about that yet but if they do, the effect seems negligible. It also comes with a carrying case. Many Nokta owners have commented on how this is unnecessary. It is still a nice feature none the less. The case seems to be built OK and looks nice. It even came with a brand new alkaline battery. Everything you need to get started immediately!
Again, the value of what you get for the money can’t be denied. Best of all — it works good!
It is plenty sensitive enough and at least in my case, doesn’t seem to false all the time. I saw/read about a lot of TRX owners who mention this condition.
I had to forfeit some waterproof capability as this one is only waterproof to 1 meter (IP 67 certified). Haven’t tried it in the water yet but I will be at some point. Although I didn’t buy it to use as a flash light, the light does seem to be functional and bright (for what it is). Also I can turn it on and off at will.
I think other pointers have it on constantly with no other option. To me, this just eats up your battery unnecessarily.

OK- sorry to write a novel but I was just putting it down as I was thinking.
Overall I like my new Nokta and would recommend it to a friend. It is a good value and a good performer (so far).

Last edited:

jwb467

Tenderfoot
Sep 19, 2016
Seabeck, Washington
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had posted earlier about two Nokta failures. To be fair, the second one is now working and has provided about 20 hours of good service. I need to give a follow up report and provide a possible quick fix in case anyone else experiences what I did.

When I first got my second one, I noticed that the contacts in the bottom of the battery compartment gave good tension on the battery, causing it to spring out until pushed in by installing the cap. Before I sent the second one back I noticed the battery was no longer under spring tension with the cap off. The battery would plop down into the bottom of the compartment. Looking inside, it the contacts were flat. I bent them upwards with a scribe (like a dentist's pick). The battery was once again under spring tension and the pointer started working again. I suspect my first pin pointer had the same problem but I returned it before discovering the fix.

I have had no problems since. I've dropped it, had it encased in mud and used it in shallow water. I really like it now.

Rik601

Oct 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe you are correct , I was wandering about the Nokta and Makro they are the same machine just different color , the Whites is very spendy compared to the other units , but it would work great for sniping for gold nuggets in tight crevices . And the Garrett looks great but you can never get the dirt removed from the battery end , Garrett and Whites both make great detectors

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TRX gets my vote. Very deep and great at narrowing down the location. You must use the ratchet pinpointing to get the most out of the unit.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes no difference what country the review comes from people will be biased no matter what, so to say just one countries reviews are bad isn't very wise. I bought my pinpointer for depth alone and chose the TRX, if it can't get good depth I'd just use the detector coil like I have in the past. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread