May 12, 2021
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
White's Surfmaster Dualfield PI
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wondering if anyone has had issues with their Nox 800 falsing in saltwater or being chattery? I noise cancel, hunt in Beach 2 and adjust the sensitivity down to 16 or 18 to try and eliminate it. But, I've experienced a lot of chirping recently while hunting in the South Florida surf even in just 1-2 feet of water. Every time a wave rolls past the machine will chirp and the VDI will read 1 or 2. This happens sometimes even just moving the coil in the water. Is this normal?
Thanks in advance for the help!

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very normal. Its the change in depth over top the coil that does that. Now I see the wave go over and my brain tunes out the sound for me lol. Same if the wave breaks on the coil or you skim the water with it- it will false. Same as bumping the ground on land but a much higher incedence in salt water. You should always be swinging slower in salt water than on land or even fresh water. Thats never been a problem for me because pushing the super awkward nox through the surf is natural as skin boarding on a stingray ( not natural at all lol). It takes it out of my shoulder but the waves may be bigger here. The nox is the best (second to PI) at tuning out that salt disturbance but it still happens to the best machines.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is normal if it happens each time a wave rolls over and you're in 2 foot or less of water.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

stevenmix

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2021
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
White's Surfmaster Dualfield PI
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks for the replies. I feel better now! Probably over analyzing but I was hunting full moon tides and the push in and pull back out was very strong and probably had an effect on the coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread