NOX 800 Question

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a Nox 800. My wife says I have more money than sense. After struggling through the 68 page instruction book I think she's right. I charged it up and took it outside with a handful of coins in 2x2's plus my wife's 14K white gold wedding ring. The Morgan dollar screamed at 36. Mr. Lincoln rang up 22. A 1/4 oz. Krugerrand showed 19. Then, I was shocked that my wife's ring rang up a 7. Only a 7? Does white gold ring up lower than yellow gold? Or, is my wife's ring NOT 14K? It came from the most reputable jeweler in town with certificate and guarantee. So, a 7? Is it the detector, the white gold, or a crooked jeweler? Gary

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold is a low conductor, usually rings in low....

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You pretty much have to dig everything "7" or above. American Indian tinkle cones worth about $40 each ring up at a 7. Small 14k gold earrings are probably in the same range. Gold rings up low.

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gold ring is probably genuine. The white colour of the gold jewelary usually comes from rhodium or platinum alloy electroplating. The core gold alloy, with basic colours from gray, yellow and redish, depending on alloy used is electroplated to get it's final "silver" colour. The gold alloy with nickel is usually very close to "white gold" colour, but it is electroplated anyway, to avoid posible alergic reaction of skin. Gold alloys are intermediate electric conductors, the alloy with nickel is a pore conductor. When plated with even poorer conductor makes thinks even worse due to "skin effect". So yes, the ring probably is 14K.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread