Nox 800 test bed problem

Thekingd93

May 7, 2022
Gardiner Maine
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F44
Hello new member here, I've been metal detecting for a few years now started off with a Fisher F44. Purchased equinox 800 after a TON of research and right out of the box I was fairly knowledgeable how to operate this machine and started hunting in Park 1 mode and had some decent results with modern clad. Switched over to field 1 mode today when detecting an old church site. I had my recovery speed set to 4, my iron bias set to 4 and my sensitivity I adjusted between 20 and 23 as needed. I did find some modern clad and a few other small things however after hours of hunting none of my targets seemed very deep. After I went home, I set up a test bed near my garden, Washington quarter at 8 inches, dime at 6 inches and another quarter at 4 inches. The targets were not reading anything like when I air tested them before burying them. VDI numbers were very jumpy, not consistent, even the quarter at 4 inches was very unstable target I.d. I then pulled out my old detector and similar results. I guess either my idea of a deep coing being 8 inches is beyond both detectors capabilities to read a consistent VDI? Even the quarter at 4 inches wouldn't even register on the VDI in any consistent way. I'll also add that I frequently noise cancel with the coil waist high then ground balance in a quiet spot.

OP
OP
Thekingd93

Thekingd93

May 7, 2022
Gardiner Maine
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F44
Hello new member here, I've been metal detecting for a few years now started off with a Fisher F44. Purchased equinox 800 after a TON of research and right out of the box I was fairly knowledgeable how to operate this machine and started hunting in Park 1 mode and had some decent results with modern clad. Switched over to field 1 mode today when detecting an old church site. I had my recovery speed set to 4, my iron bias set to 4 and my sensitivity I adjusted between 20 and 23 as needed. I did find some modern clad and a few other small things however after hours of hunting none of my targets seemed very deep. After I went home, I set up a test bed near my garden, Washington quarter at 8 inches, dime at 6 inches and another quarter at 4 inches. The targets were not reading anything like when I air tested them before burying them. VDI numbers were very jumpy, not consistent, even the quarter at 4 inches was very unstable target I.d. I then pulled out my old detector and similar results. I guess either my idea of a deep coing being 8 inches is beyond both detectors capabilities to read a consistent VDI? Even the quarter at 4 inches wouldn't even register on the VDI in any consistent way. I'll also add that I frequently noise cancel with the coil waist high then ground balance in a quiet spot.
Update im almost 100% positive the sensitivity was to high. Did a quick hunt on a lawn in town here next to a sidewalk and quickly locked onto a quarter and a penny. Had to lower sensitivity to 17 to get good target stability. The area I was hunting earlier today was obviously to trashy for 20-23 sensitivity. Like using high beams in the fog!! Part of learning a new machine I suppose.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try your test again with a 100% factory setting. See if there is a difference.

OP
OP
Thekingd93

Thekingd93

May 7, 2022
Gardiner Maine
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F44
Try your test again with a 100% factory setting. See if there is a difference.
I did an the factory sensitivity setting of 20 is to high for the iron infested soil of the area where the test bed is. 17 seems to be the happy spot. Maine is infested with iron. If I put the detector in All metal mode I can count the nails in the ground lol.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have consistently been able to hit silver quarters 8-9" deep in moderately hot soil. In the sandy stuff on Maryland's eastern shore, maybe another inch. Found a nice 17th century small brass buckle at a foot once. That was in the mild sandy stuff. Once upon a time ago I found a 3 pound cannon ball a whopping 24+" down. I could barely get it out of the ground.

OP
OP
Thekingd93

Thekingd93

May 7, 2022
Gardiner Maine
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F44
I have consistently been able to hit silver quarters 8-9" deep in moderately hot soil. In the sandy stuff on Maryland's eastern shore, maybe another inch. Found a nice 17th century small brass buckle at a foot once. That was in the mild sandy stuff. Once upon a time ago I found a 3 pound cannon ball a whopping 24+" down. I could barely get it out of the ground.
With equinox 800?

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_moved_over.gif
I moved ya from HELP! over to BRANDS > MINELAB > EQUINOX for more exposure.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find Park 1 is more stable than Field 1 for whatever reason (frequency mix?) and I can use a higher Sensitivity setting. With iron rich ground, you might also try Beach 2. I'd also try a few different recovery speed and Iron bias settings. A slower recovery speed will add some depth, but, you'll need to swing slower to get the benefit of that. A faster recovery speed usually helps make the machine more stable, so, you'll have to find a happy medium there. If you're not having a problem with iron targets (not iron mineralization) I'd lower the Iron bias down to FE @ 0. There again, it will depend on the severity and type of the iron pollution.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No the cannonball was with an old analog Tesoro Lobo. The others with a Deus I. I had gone behind someone using a Nox 800. They missed them.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread