Numismatic question.

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What to do? I found a 15lb. bag of pennies in my recently deceased wife's closet.
Is it worth looking for something of value? If so, what should I look for?

I also found a 1892 gold half eagle in very good shape. Is Ebay the best bet to get value?
1671309568176.jpeg

TIA.

Last edited:
Upvote 22

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
certainly wouldn't hurt to go through the pennies. What mint mark is the half eagle?

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cointrackers.com is a simple and conservative value site. It would be worth the time to sort through them

Great discovery!

OP
OP
bobinsd

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked at every penny and there were 4 or five wheats out of 20 lbs.. about 3500 pennies. will a bank take them?
I noticed that the 1979 pennies survived much better than thase from surrounding years. you could actually feel as well as see the difference in definition. Did they use a new die that year?

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
based on your pics, I'm estimating the condition to be VF as you can tell it's been circulated enough not to warrant an AU grade, but still in a nice condition that shows little wear. I would estimate it's 'book' value in the range of 650-700 dollars. It's a beautiful coin.

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you sell it as an auction on eBay, you'll get what it's actually worth (i.e.; what someone is willing to pay for it). Good detailed pictures are the key here. I've sold several there and got far more than anyone else was willing to pay. Just be aware, eBay reports sales to the IRS, so don't forget to show it as income on your tax return.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked at every penny and there were 4 or five wheats out of 20 lbs.. about 3500 pennies. will a bank take them?
I noticed that the 1979 pennies survived much better than thase from surrounding years. you could actually feel as well as see the difference in definition. Did they use a new die that year?
If all the pennies are 1981 or older you have about $87 in scrap copper....each copper penny would have a scrap value of .025 cents. I keep all my copper pennies... I probably have about 100 lbs.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If all the pennies are 1981 or older you have about $87 in scrap copper....each copper penny would have a scrap value of .025 cents. I keep all my copper pennies... I probably have about 100 lbs.

only problem with that is that it is currently illegal to sell pennies as scrap copper. That might change some day if the government finally decides to stop making pennies.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd look up the wheat cents and any key memorial cents for values. Condition is the major factor when it comes to value once you've determined the date and mint mark. You can get a coin book to help with value and grading, or, go online to various websites. The Lincoln Cent Resource has been a good site for that.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are errors and varieties that could be worth more than face value. If you don't know what to look for however, it would be a waste of time going through them. If you are not in any hurry, study up on some sites like error-ref.com, doubleddie.com and varietyvista.com, before even going through them. Don't even think about watching youtube videos for information, they are mostly click bait hype nonsense! If you don't have the time or desire to do this, I would just sort out and keep the wheat cents and cash in the rest.

OP
OP
bobinsd

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are errors and varieties that could be worth more than face value. If you don't know what to look for however, it would be a waste of time going through them. If you are not in any hurry, study up on some sites like error-ref.com, doubleddie.com and varietyvista.com, before even going through them. Don't even think about watching youtube videos for information, they are mostly click bait hype nonsense! If you don't have the time or desire to do this, I would just sort out and keep the wheat cents and cash in the rest.
Why just the wheats?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They're older, and generally have more potential for value. There again as I.cutler mentioned, there can all sorts of rare varieties of the more modern coins that have value too. It's a matter of the time it takes to sort through them all and recognize what is a true variety or mint error, and what is PMD (Post Mint Damage). Chances are always slim to find anything of great value in modern coins, but, the time is yours to use as you please.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you please take a closer (macro) picture of BOTH sides...

I am asking you to do this because I feel your coin has some real value.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread