Numismatic question.

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What to do? I found a 15lb. bag of pennies in my recently deceased wife's closet.
Is it worth looking for something of value? If so, what should I look for?

I also found a 1892 gold half eagle in very good shape. Is Ebay the best bet to get value?
1671309568176.jpeg

TIA.

Last edited:
Upvote 22
OP
OP
bobinsd

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_7340.jpg
    IMG_7340.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_7339.jpg
    IMG_7339.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 72

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What to do? I found a 15lb. bag of pennies in my recently deceased wife's closet.
Is it worth looking for something of value? If so, what should I look for?

I also found a 1892 gold half eagle in very good shape. Is Ebay the best bet to get value?
View attachment 2060127
TIA.
Cool Stuff!! I’d be doing some research before just going by what people are getting on eBay. Good luck & Congrats!!!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob... thanks for the additional pics... but... these pics are not very good... are you using a phone to take those ?
no offense...
Clear (macro preferred) is what i am going to need to correctly assess this... anyway... so far from these pictures i can say you have a type 2 with motto strike ... thus far.

To just be clear... what i am seeing is a slight doubling... and only very clear pictures can set this straight... this is very important... FOR... if you have true double die variety of this coin it could mean a serious swing in value.

With this said... it can also just be the photo itself that is giving off this effect.
Again... ONLY clear pictures can expose this to be truly a double die coin or a bad picture only.

Last edited:

VaGent

Apr 20, 2021
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently Deus XP, also have 2 Minelab Explorer XS as backups.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice... TBH I wouldn't even think about selling that on eBay, and I have well over 3000 pos feedback as an ex-seller there. The fees and odds of getting scammed are just too much; if you decide to part with it, you should have no problem finding a local buyer for cash in hand.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1839-1908 Liberty Half Eagle$5.00$432.17

1908-1929 Indian Half Eagle
$5.00$432.17

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Completed Listings on Ebay Can be Helpfull, you can try to get
Numismatic Value But 99.9% of Buyers Well pay Less then weight.
If you find a Buyer Paying a premium, He's/she's a Jem !
& May be worth Jumping in :coffee2:

the issue I see is ebay got a lot of counterfeiters.
it's buyer beware when buying gold and silver on ebay imo
So Sellers Also Have to think twice. You could sell a real one and have a Return of a fake one.
if you say no returns , your automatically suspicious !

Last edited:
OP
OP
bobinsd

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1839-1908 Liberty Half Eagle$5.00$432.17

1908-1929 Indian Half Eagle
$5.00$432.17
Thanks Jeff. Where did the prices come from (or are you making an offer)?

Personally, I think the Liberty Heads are tons more beautiful than the Indians.

Were we socially conscious back then?

ARC....I will have better pics after Christmas, but under a loupe I see no DD.
BTW, I was able to clean some of the clutter easily with a water pic.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy a 2023 coin book and educate yourself
What is this supposed to mean? Pretty rude response and I really don't appreciate it. I've been collecting for over fifty years, completed collections of several different series, member of several major numismatic organizations, founding member of one of them, I have had a few numismatic articles published. My numismatic library covers several book shelves. My main reason for coming here is to help people with coin questions when I can. Common wheat cents are worth a few cents each, and I stand by that. I guess someone needs to be educated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bobinsd

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is this supposed to mean? Pretty rude response and I really don't appreciate it. I've been collecting for over fifty years, completed collections of several different series, member of several major numismatic organizations, founding member of one of them, I have had a few numismatic articles published. My numismatic library covers several book shelves. My main reason for coming here is to help people with coin questions when I can. Common wheat cents are worth a few cents each, and I stand by that. I guess someone needs to be educated.
I. I think his comment was intended for me, and I took no offense because it was just a recommendation.
May I ask, was there really a penny with a dime stamped on the reverse side?

Reactions: ARC
OP
OP
bobinsd

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob... thanks for the additional pics... but... these pics are not very good... are you using a phone to take those ?
no offense...
Clear (macro preferred) is what i am going to need to correctly assess this... anyway... so far from these pictures i can say you have a type 2 with motto strike ... thus far.

To just be clear... what i am seeing is a slight doubling... and only very clear pictures can set this straight... this is very important... FOR... if you have true double die variety of this coin it could mean a serious swing in value.

With this said... it can also just be the photo itself that is giving off this effect.
Again... ONLY clear pictures can expose this to be truly a double die coin or a bad picture only.
ARC, thanks. I'll take some better pics.
My sister also inherited a 1/2 eagle but it was a 1929. My first reaction was that I got the better
coin and in better condition. Was I surprised when I researched hers.....possibly $10,000 or more.

Attachments

• 1929 R.jpg
    1929 R.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 1929O.jpg
    1929O.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 32

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ARC, thanks. I'll take some better pics.
My sister also inherited a 1/2 eagle but it was a 1929. My first reaction was that I got the better
coin and in better condition. Was I surprised when I researched hers.....possibly $10,000 or more.
I am gonna bow this out and let Cutler give an opinion on this first.

pganjon

Nov 6, 2008
South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter 5, Ace 250
Please forgive this post, but I have to ask, were you not married very long to her to not know she had an interest in old coins. Also I'm sorry about your wifes passing and maybe you should hold on to them for a while to give yourself time to greave . I don't know if you have Grand children interested in coins, they may appreciate them. There values are something you could look up together in a modern coin book. The Gold coin depending on the grade is valued at about $500 to 700 dollars for a plain, no mint mark $5 dollar Liberty head coin between Good and very fine condition ( PCGS) website. I pray for you to have peace in your decision and God Bless :) Paul

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please forgive this post, but I have to ask, were you not married very long to her to not know she had an interest in old coins. Also I'm sorry about your wifes passing and maybe you should hold on to them for a while to give yourself time to greave . I don't know if you have Grand children interested in coins, they may appreciate them. There values are something you could look up together in a modern coin book. The Gold coin depending on the grade is valued at about $500 to 700 dollars for a plain, no mint mark $5 dollar Liberty head coin between Good and very fine condition ( PCGS) website. I pray for you to have peace in your decision and God Bless :) Paul
PCGS prices online are for graded coins only... and does not apply here.
Nor do book prices if you are not sure on the grade or near grade it also applies little without this.
Coin books and websites are only a reference and will tell someone very little without a TRUE grade to go by.
Until that point... its speculative at best for novice coin persons.... and chances are they are gonna be WAY off... in either direction.
Grading this would not only be worthwhile.... but recommended.
Any and all old gold coins should be graded... let alone a 100+ year old one.

You will maximize the value no matter what... and its solid after that... it will be... "what it is".
And then that value is not such a mystery anymore.

Grading is a small price compared to this particular coins value... and will be recouped upon its sale if one were to so choose to do so.
But the one thing worth a whole lot more at the end of it all... is the peace of mind the OP will have knowing EXACTLY its worth.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
" IMPORTANT
  • WHAT DO PCGS PRICES MEAN? The prices listed in the PCGS Price Guide are average dealer asking prices for PCGS-graded coins. "
Note the graded part ? ? ?

Those prices you guys see on there ARE NOT for "RAW" coins. (RAW meaning... coins NOT sealed and graded by them or another grading company they recognize as graders)

OP
OP
bobinsd

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am gonna bow this out and let Cutler give an opinion on this first.
We were married 25 years, but I think she started it long before I met her. There was never any interest in coins, but she just needed a place to put them and never stopped. I also started another jar for all coins which we both used. Nothing of value here either except some old silver.
The gold coins were from my grandmother. I am 79.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread