Oak Island is closed until further notice - 2022

Phil

Dec 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Beale Code is a perfect example of a hoax...............Guy shows up in town, buys drinks for everyone, earns their trust, comes back a year later, then leaves a "secret" letter for the caretaker talking about gold and silver buried outside of town. The story ends there, but it is likely the guy intended to send a telegram a few months later asking the caretaker of the hotel to send him money in exchange for the location of the treasure. That story is a hoax.

If Oak Island is a "hoax" they sure are spending a LOT of money.

And no Singlestack..........No amount of advertising on the show could cover the cost of equipment and labor. Do you have any idea how much it costs to run a large drill rig? Rest assured, those companies did not become successful by giving away equipment time and labor in exchange for the HOPE somebody might watch the show and decide to hire them for a project. THAT argument is a hoax.

Whether there is a treasure on Oak Island is a worthy debate. But to call the Lagina's, and all of the previous people before them "hoaxers" is just downright (Insert insult here).

Just like everyone before them, they are chasing a dream..........You can't fault a guy for that.

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Beale Code is a perfect example of a hoax...............Guy shows up in town, buys drinks for everyone, earns their trust, comes back a year later, then leaves a "secret" letter for the caretaker talking about gold and silver buried outside of town. The story ends there, but it is likely the guy intended to send a telegram a few months later asking the caretaker of the hotel to send him money in exchange for the location of the treasure. That story is a hoax.

If Oak Island is a "hoax" they sure are spending a LOT of money.

And no Singlestack..........No amount of advertising on the show could cover the cost of equipment and labor. Do you have any idea how much it costs to run a large drill rig? Rest assured, those companies did not become successful by giving away equipment time and labor in exchange for the HOPE somebody might watch the show and decide to hire them for a project. THAT argument is a hoax.

Whether there is a treasure on Oak Island is a worthy debate. But to call the Lagina's, and all of the previous people before them "hoaxers" is just downright (Insert insult here).

Just like everyone before then, they are chasing a dream..........You can't fault a guy for that.
They make about 2 mil per season seems there's quite a bit of money to be made. So ya. Not being a jerk but that seems to be the number. Along with the side projects it brings in not just profits from the show. So plenty of money to be made

Phil

Dec 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A whole whopping $2 Million?

The cost of leasing the equipment, plus labor, is going to eat up $2 million REALLY fast.

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The cost of leasing the equipment, plus labor, is going to eat up $2 million REALLY fast.
2 mil is just what the show brings in alone. Not counting all else it brings with it. I'm sure they bring in much more revenue then they lose. Or else this would of not gone on so long. It's quite improbable that anything was that deeply hidden there when much more advanced equipment has that much trouble searching those depths. I'm sure historically there where many different people that came and went there throughout time each leaving a bit of their history. I think that is the only treasure there but I think it highly unlikely there is a treasure someone hid there. Though just the opinion I make based on how I use my logic. Maybe I'm wrong but I see it as highly unlikely

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Your posts seem to imply that you think Laginas are spending millions of there own money on continuing this search...

They have made millions from the show not lost millions.

No one would be crazy enough to spend more money looking into an area of ground dug up so much.

They PROVED in season 5 there was no treasure there when they did the pattern drilling of the whole area and found ZERO evidence of treasure.

This map below was from season 5. It does not even had all the massive holes they have dug later

pattern.png

I am stunned there are still people out there that beleive just one more hole can be dug and they will find

treasure.jpg

Phil

Dec 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I am stunned there are still people out there that beleive just one more hole can be dug and they will find"

There are two separate issues here. The first issue pertains to whether or not there is a treasure on Oak Island. The second is whether the Lagina's are pulling some elaborate scam. I am addressing the second issue.

Marty has stated many times he is skeptical of a treasure. He has never misled anyone. In fact, he has been honest from the very beginning about his beliefs. Rick on the other hand is a typical treasure hunter. Despite all of the evidence to the contrary, he sincerely believes there is something on the island. You can hear it in his words, and you can see it in his eyes. He is a believer.

Does that make Rick a hoaxer or a scammer? Absolutely not. It simply makes him a man with a dream.

More importantly, if the entire thing was a huge scam, why not spend a few dollars metal detecting, find something new and amazing once every season, and pocket all that money for yourself? Instead, they are spending millions of dollars on equipment and labor. Why do that if you sincerely believe nothing is there? They can create dramatic effect without spending all that money.

As for the treasure, my personal belief is the island was used by the British to store something of value. It is well known they were North of the island, and it is known they were moving gold to fund the war against those crazy guys in the colonies who wanted Independence from the King. Obviously, the British removed it years ago.

Continuing to search for it makes them dreamers..........Not hoaxers or scammers.

mdc002

Jun 25, 2022
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Laginas and their associates are financing this search out of their own pockets and they have been well before their search was made into a reality show.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are two separate issues here. The first issue pertains to whether or not there is a treasure on Oak Island. The second is whether the Lagina's are pulling some elaborate scam. I am addressing the second issue.
Just to be semantic (Not looking to pick a fight) a "hoax" and a "Scam" or not the same thing.

Hoax: a humorous or malicious deception or trick or deceive (someone).
Scam: a dishonest scheme; a fraud.

The interpretation that the Laginas are trying to "trick" people into believing they are still looking for treasure fits the definition of a hoax.

I am not saying it is a scam. It is entertainment ie a "humorous deception" to make a popular TV show.

I do not believe it is a scam. I also do not believe the Laginas still think (if they ever did) that a vast treasure is still waiting to be found in the money pit area.

So the description of "hoax island" is a fair interpretation in my view...

mdc002

Jun 25, 2022
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just to be semantic (Not looking to pick a fight) a "hoax" and a "Scam" or not the same thing.

Hoax: a humorous or malicious deception or trick or deceive (someone).
Scam: a dishonest scheme; a fraud.

The interpretation that the Laginas are trying to "trick" people into believing they are still looking for treasure fits the definition of a hoax.

I am not saying it is a scam. It is entertainment ie a "humorous deception" to make a popular TV show.

I do not believe it is a scam. I also do not believe the Laginas still think (if they ever did) that a vast treasure is still waiting to be found in the money pit area.

So the description of "hoax island" is a fair interpretation in my view...
If the Laginas don't believe that there still is a treasure to be found, why are they still sinking money into the project? They are businessmen not hoaxers. :icon_scratch:

Phil

Dec 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because reality TV producers keep giving them money.

Respectfully, I don't think people realize how expensive renting equipment, hiring contractors, labor, fuel, and other misc. expenses are.

They are spending millions each year. At best, they are breaking even.

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder how much they get shaved off of the cost as to advertise certain equipment. Regardless I still highly doubt there is any hidden treasure there. Also the History channel lately is more entertainment less history these days mostly stopped watching the channel because most things are ridiculous on it. Again I'm not sure why it seems to be logical 9 or so years looking for something with advanced equipment supposedly hidden by people with primitive tools should of been relatively easy to get. How would this hidden thing even be retrievable by these supposed people if with this equipment and spending so much on it can't get to it? Just a lot of things don't really add up. So my skepticism has a lot of reason behind it. I'll repeat I'm sure there are things like coins and relics left behind from many visitors to the area but some treasure well there is much to doubt in that.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Respectfully, I don't think people realize how expensive renting equipment, hiring contractors, labor, fuel, and other misc. expenses are.

They are spending millions each year. At best, they are breaking even.
They have received several million from NSBI, NSBI stands for Nova Scotia Business Inc, each brother is paid $100,000 an episode.

"Moreover, as owners of a 50% stake of Oak Island Tours, Inc., the company that owns Oak Island, Marty and Rick Lagina fund a good deal of the Oak Island drilling and digging operations themselves (via History)"

"Much of the money spent on the Oak Island search also comes from local sponsorship. Nova Scotia Business Inc (NSBI), an agency that helps businesses in the province of Nova Scotia grow, has contributed a lot of money to "The Curse of Oak Island" through its Nova Scotia Film and Television Production Incentive Fund (NSFPIF). Figures have included CAN$1.9 million for Season 5 (via TV Over Mind) and a whopping CAN$3.97 million for Season 6 (via Monsters & Critics). That certainly helps defray a lot of the costs that would otherwise be reflected on History's balance sheets.

According to Showbiz CheatSheet, other potential funding sources for the show include Oak Island tours and government grants."

Read More: https://www.looper.com/138584/the-m...d-sold-on-american-pickers/?utm_campaign=clip

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your brother had a dream (no matter how illogical it might be), and you had the resources to make that dream a reality, would you help him?
Hmm well it may sound cold but no I'd not for my brothers own good. But that me everyone has their own view of the right and wrong way to do things I'd guess I'd not knock someone for a different view on this particular thing. My brother could dislike me for not being supportive of what I'd see as illogical and trying to preserve those funds for something more tangible. It'd be how I'd handle it but if someone sees it different that's fine. Chasing a dream is fine when you can but sometimes in reality a dream is well just that a dream. Hey if they prove me wrong I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.

Exployer

May 4, 2015
south Jersey/ SE Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
From the Oak Island Tours website:
Oak Island is a private Island and is closed until further notice. Tours are NOT being scheduled for 2022 and the Interpretive Centre will remain closed to visitors until further notice.
Copyright 2022 Cerca Trova Limited - Traverse, City Michigan - doing business as Oak Island Tours. www.oakislandtours.ca

Why is Oak Island closed to the public?
1 - The whole crew packed up and won't be back.
2 - They will be working 7 days a week to extract the treasure.
3 - Pressure on the Government to let them work the entire Island.
I am sure all guys have said the same thing............................Why do they just have
that one guy ( hate his accent) they spend millions on equipment and only one guy with a machine. It just does not make sese. Quote he is the expert,
you guys are the experts. Gotta go get wet. Bye for now

OP
OP
G

goldnsilver

Jun 25, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID
Vintage 1980's
Whites Goldmaster
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The work on cleaning up lot 5 is about complete and will be much easier to search all parts of the lot. Looks pretty clean from the water. The crew was busy all week and worked late last night (Friday). Most of the work seems to be in the money pit area.

Attachments

• 296542743_620982809390661_2980784325763496845_n (2).jpg
    296542743_620982809390661_2980784325763496845_n (2).jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 297719989_620982716057337_1295960824618486653_n (2).jpg
    297719989_620982716057337_1295960824618486653_n (2).jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 48

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread