Oak Island Mystery Solved! The Truth behind what the McGinnis Boys Saw!

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forum member MikeN solved the centuries old mystery. It’s well known that’s 100% of all things found on the island are common things resulting from typical human habitation.

It’s been proven that the money pit, log platforms, 90’ stone, vault, and flood tunnels never existed. The only tunnels ever found we ones that were dug by others looking for the fictional treasure.

Why then did the McGinnis boys claim to have seen strange lights that attracted them to the island?

MikeN solves the mystery once and for all time:

However if you were 'those boys' back in the day, you would have first explored the area by circling the island by boat. An active seaport would explain lights anywhere on the island at night without any mystery.

Yes...the active seaport/ ship repair facility is use at the time!

MikeN solved the puzzle in no time while others have spent many years pursuing written fiction, hoaxer lies, and all sorts of nonsense...

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have to admit that I’m a little disappointed as I was looking forward to the episode where the laginas discover the templar space/time warp tunnel that the Templars and Sinclair used to travel to Mars and back... :-(

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Gidday Amigos there are poll tax records from 1791 - 1795 of 4 farmers living on the island. There is no record of a "Daniel" but a Donald McGinnis.

polltax1791_orig oak island.jpg

From other records Donald was not a young boy he was 37 in 1795 . Here is more information about Donald born in the island of Skye Scotland in 1758-59. moved to North Carolina and was A loyalist who defended Mores bridge in the American war of independence. He was one of the Shore ham grantees. Refugees given land on oak island to farm. There was 4 farmers living on the island at the time of the alleged discovery.

Donald macginnis.jpg

Samuel Ball, William McMillan, was another Anthony Vaughan was another. Nearby there was 2 ships carpenters by the names Jacob and Henry hall or hull? Spelling is hard to read. No doubt as the 4 farmers cleared the land on oak island of timber it was cheaper to build small clinker built boats on the island itself than haul timber to Luneberg.

So the story of this young Daniel McGinnis money pit discovery in 1795 in light of the real records say is fictitious. People was living and working on the island at time of this alleged discovery.

The earliest known story of a treasure found by a settler named Daniel McGinnis appeared in print in 1857 ( Liverpool transcript) some 62 years after the alleged discovery? then we have the alleged onslow company of 1802?

No original documents relating to the Onslow Company have been found to date, but the following alleged accounts were told by John Smith and Anthony Vaughn Jr. in 1848 to Robert Creelman of the Truro Company. Since they was dead it is only the the word of company eager to get investors to believe any alleged discovery even happened to begin with.

Superstition greed and blind faith did the rest.

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Edmund Fanning became the principle landholder of Oak Island in 1784. Which he had survey about 1000 acres. He beacuse the colonial administrator of the province. Here is his grant below.

col  Edmund Fanning 1784.jpg

He was the principle driver for the shoreham grantees administering land to displaced loyalist after the war of independence.

He lived till 1818. So if this oak island treasure story was true why didn't he the most powerful man in nova Scotia never tried to reclaim the island he was once owner of? Especially of there was allegedly treasure on it?

edmund_fanning.jpg

To me that says it all.

Crow

OP
OP
S

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gidday Amigos there are poll tax records from 1791 - 1795 of 4 farmers living on the island. There is no record of a "Daniel" but a Donald McGinnis.

View attachment 1886789

From other records Donald was not a young boy he was 37 in 1795 . Here is more information about Donald born in the island of Skye Scotland in 1758-59. moved to North Carolina and was A loyalist who defended Mores bridge in the American war of independence. He was one of the Shore ham grantees. Refugees given land on oak island to farm. There was 4 farmers living on the island at the time of the alleged discovery.

View attachment 1886804

Samuel Ball, William McMillan, was another Anthony Vaughan was another. Nearby there was 2 ships carpenters by the names Jacob and Henry hall or hull? Spelling is hard to read. No doubt as the 4 farmers cleared the land on oak island of timber it was cheaper to build small clinker built boats on the island itself than haul timber to Luneberg.

So the story of this young Daniel McGinnis money pit discovery in 1795 in light of the real records say is fictitious. People was living and working on the island at time of this alleged discovery.

The earliest known story of a treasure found by a settler named Daniel McGinnis appeared in print in 1857 ( Liverpool transcript) some 62 years after the alleged discovery? then we have the alleged onslow company of 1802?

No original documents relating to the Onslow Company have been found to date, but the following alleged accounts were told by John Smith and Anthony Vaughn Jr. in 1848 to Robert Creelman of the Truro Company. Since they was dead it is only the the word of company eager to get investors to believe any alleged discovery even happened to begin with.

Superstition greed and blind faith did the rest.

Crow

The facts posted above further disprove much of the hoax island fiction....the “boys” were actually older adults....

Thanks Crow for your research!

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just something to get ya'll riled up this morning.
1- Just because you own land doesn't mean your actually living or farming or clearing timber on it to build boats on that land. Plenty of people own land and never use it for anything.
2- Earliest known story about treasure was printed in 1857 but yet the Onslow Company came searching in 1802 you say, so apparently there was "word" out about it long before what was printed in 1857 or how did they know to come searching?
3- Any old man of those days say 60+ years old telling his story from a time when he would have been 37 would have referred to that as a young boy and the story went from there...
4- If some of the boys owned land on the island why would they need to circle the island by boat to investigate as mentioned in the first post above if he was "farming" land he owned already on the island as mentioned in the 3rd post...
4- None of any of this proves that the Money Pit never existed as stated in the 2nd post above...

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Gidday n2mini

Nothing riles me up amigo at present. I have no emotional attachment the oak island saga. Its free country everyone entitled to the opinions. So be it. If people want to dream and chase rainbows then its their wish to do so.

If there was a faint remote chance there was treasure there archeologists would of been all over it like flies on a dead wombats ass.:laughing7: But hey ya got hand it to them Marty and rick are milking it for all its worth. Who said there was no treasure...they found a way to make money. But hey that is my opinion.

So in answer to your questions about facts.

1, So are you saying the four men listed in the poll tax records conducting their occupation as farmers on oak island is incorrect? What evidence they wasn't? There is no record living elsewhere between 1791 and 1795? Poll tax records of the time give a number and age grouping for people in the household, value of the property, and sometimes occupation and family religion.

2. Fact There is no documentary evidence that any records exist in regards to Onslow Company? Even the most ardent Oak Island research admit that. We only have much later claims there was? While it is true the names of some of those mentioned did indeed exist. But there is no legal document that shows the company ever existed? Strange considering. One of members was sheriff, Another was retired officer, another a doctor and no legal agreement? Yet other companies of that time is recorded.

3. No 37 year old man a veteran of the America War of independence could even be considered a boy? That is a stretch too far even for you.

4. You already answered the question you asked....the story never happened As they never needed to circle the island. they was not boys. 1795 they was engaged in hard graft rebuilding their lives after revolution. As per poll tax record shows farming on the island.

I have much more documents Samuel Balls Documents. Daniel McGinnis But sadly I am inhibited by copyright. I have seen the records of Daniel McGinnis born 1804 not as per story as a boy in 1795. It was not until July 6, 1818 that the original lot owners' names were mapped for the Nova Scotia Crown Lands office. You can see for your self amigo.

Much of the earlier stories of the alleged discovery of this alleged money pit falls far short because there are just too many inconsistencies with the treasure story with known official records from the time.

Crow

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never said a 37 year old is a boy. Only in that a man over the age of 60 if telling a story about a 37 year old would refer to him as a young boy. Which is probably how that part of the story got going.
I never said what you posted about the tax records wasn't true only that just because people own land doesn't mean they used it at that time. maybe they did, maybe they didn't. Maybe they farmed it, maybe they buried treasure on it, maybe the grew cabbage, maybe they sold the timber to ship yard. NO ONE KNOWS..

If you know who the members of the Onslow company were why question it. You just named off 3 of them. Maybe they did have a written agreement and it was just between them, no need to record it with the county. Same as when the Restalls and others searched on the land they got permission to do so and IF they found anything they owed a percentage to the owner along with any investors, but don't think that is registered with the county either. yet it is in the Restall book and no one has ever questioned it...

I did not answer my own question as I did not ask one, only stated what most take as a fact that there was a MP dug. Doesn't mean it was x amount deep or has/had anything in it... What I'd like to know from you and anyone else who does not believe that the original 3 or anyone for that matter ever dug the MP how did all this get started. Who showed who where to dig in order to fleece all these investors out of millions of dollars that ya'll think happened. How do you talk someone into investing or to come do their own digging without at least starting your dig with some sort of evidence that your hunch is right and just need help to finish it... If someone called you and said. There is treasure in my yard and I need your help to get to it either labor wise or money, do you not want to know why they think that, or see a hole they have going and just need help making it deeper, etc.. You would not blindly just send money... Lets go hypothetical here for a moment.. Even if ya'll are correct the original 3 needed to start the hole in order to make the hoax real, correct, and hence the MP was truly there regardless of the reasoning...Which makes my statement correct in that there was a MP... which at the time was just a hole, and was coined the Money Pit years later...

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never said a 37 year old is a boy. Only in that a man over the age of 60 if telling a story about a 37 year old would refer to him as a young boy. Which is probably how that part of the story got going.
I never said what you posted about the tax records wasn't true only that just because people own land doesn't mean they used it at that time. maybe they did, maybe they didn't. Maybe they farmed it, maybe they buried treasure on it, maybe the grew cabbage, maybe they sold the timber to ship yard. NO ONE KNOWS..

If you know who the members of the Onslow company were why question it. You just named off 3 of them. Maybe they did have a written agreement and it was just between them, no need to record it with the county. Same as when the Restalls and others searched on the land they got permission to do so and IF they found anything they owed a percentage to the owner along with any investors, but don't think that is registered with the county either. yet it is in the Restall book and no one has ever questioned it...

I did not answer my own question as I did not ask one, only stated what most take as a fact that there was a MP dug. Doesn't mean it was x amount deep or has/had anything in it... What I'd like to know from you and anyone else who does not believe that the original 3 or anyone for that matter ever dug the MP how did all this get started. Who showed who where to dig in order to fleece all these investors out of millions of dollars that ya'll think happened. How do you talk someone into investing or to come do their own digging without at least starting your dig with some sort of evidence that your hunch is right and just need help to finish it... If someone called you and said. There is treasure in my yard and I need your help to get to it either labor wise or money, do you not want to know why they think that, or see a hole they have going and just need help making it deeper, etc.. You would not blindly just send money... Lets go hypothetical here for a moment.. Even if ya'll are correct the original 3 needed to start the hole in order to make the hoax real, correct, and hence the MP was truly there regardless of the reasoning...Which makes my statement correct in that there was a MP... which at the time was just a hole, and was coined the Money Pit years later...

Twisting and wordsmithing the facts doesn't work....just ask the laginas......

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not twisting a thing. yes I'm using yours and Crow's words against you as you see and apparently ya'lls on research and theories don't add up quite as well you want them too or I wouldn't be able to do that... Just as you didn't answer my question in the 3rd paragraph you just quoted on about the MP and how all this got started if it was never dug to start with... Please explain your answer to my 3rd paragraph...

I have/had questions on Crow's post and neither you nor he can answer them apparently so you brush them off as usual and don't attempt to explain your thoughts..Alan m you might as well join in since your here and answer my 3rd paragraph as well and where ever Charlie P is he can too... Do ya'll not see how that first post and crow's info does not add up like ya'll think it does and how does any of it for a FACT show there was no Money Pit... If some of these guys were living on the island they would have known what was happening on the island and not have to boat around it all to check it out. It's only 3/4 mile long and 1/2 mile wide roughly so you can walk from one side to the other in 15-20 minutes

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did not answer my own question as I did not ask one, only stated what most take as a fact that there was a MP dug. Doesn't mean it was x amount deep or has/had anything in it... What I'd like to know from you and anyone else who does not believe that the original 3 or anyone for that matter ever dug the MP how did all this get started.

Somebody made up a tall tale and it built on itself over time. Happens even now. Happening every week on the TV show. More baseless and invalid speculation. Doesn't need to be any kernel of truth at all.

How did the legend of the Headless Horseman of Sleepy Hollow get started? The legend of Rip Van Winkle? The legend of the Flying Dutchman? Imagination. People like to tell stories. And another segment of the population sees a way to make a profit on keeping the story going. Tours, souvenirs, maps, shares of venture companies, motels, books, TV shows, etc.

Last edited:

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an answer atleast. Thanks. Doesn't explain how someone enticed others to come and search if nothing ever took place to start with.. or why someone would give money to someone else and they dug a hole just so it looked like they were searching.... Yeah your right that's what happened.. NOT!! Do you really believe that is what happened? Honestly..

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe it was a natural depression that was convenient to the "Captain Kidd" treasure legend.

So far I haven't seen convincing evidence that was not the case.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regardless though that is where someone dug. Be it the original 3 or someone who they some how enticed to dig there. Bam. Money Pit Hole... I just don't see how anyone from back then was making money off the deal. Not sure who owned that spot of land. Maybe they "rented" it to people to search but it wouldm't have been alot of money I wouldn't think.. No one has gotten rich off the MP till the last 20 years or so... Some of the books might have done well that has been written about it all. I doubt the tours were making much money till the TV show came on and now that is booming...

HIO

Greenie
Oct 27, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Edmund Fanning became the principle landholder of Oak Island in 1784. Which he had survey about 1000 acres. He beacuse the colonial administrator of the province. Here is his grant below.

View attachment 1886807

He was the principle driver for the shoreham grantees administering land to displaced loyalist after the war of independence.

He lived till 1818. So if this oak island treasure story was true why didn't he the most powerful man in nova Scotia never tried to reclaim the island he was once owner of? Especially of there was allegedly treasure on it?

To me that says it all.

Crow

This grant is not for Oak Island in Mahone Bay. This grant is for Oak Island near Tatamagouche on the Northumberland Strait.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somebody made up a tall tale and it built on itself over time. Happens even now. Happening every week on the TV show. More baseless and invalid speculation. Doesn't need to be any kernel of truth at all.

How did the legend of the Headless Horseman of Sleepy Hollow get started? The legend of Rip Van Winkle? The legend of the Flying Dutchman? Imagination. People like to tell stories. And another segment of the population sees a way to make a profit on keeping the story going. Tours, souvenirs, maps, shares of venture companies, motels, books, TV shows, etc.

There's no headless horseman?

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess there is no Easter Bunny either.. Here again Singlestack you skipped right over my questions to you. Apparently you have no answer for them as it will nail you down to something and you can't allow that.. Just as you moan and grown about the show and everybody on it YET YOU STILL WATCH IT..... WHY??

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oak Island is no where near being 1000 acres. This thread needs to die as there is too much miss information being flashed around as if it is a fact and it is not.. and the ones throwing it out will not answer those who question it..

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oak Island is no where near being 1000 acres. This thread needs to die as there is too much miss information being flashed around as if it is a fact and it is not.. and the ones throwing it out will not answer those who question it..

You would be correct about 4 acres to a lot and about 33 or 34 lots only come to 132 to 136 acres on Oak Island. All of his information is coming from Oak Island Compendium site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread