Oak Island the Strange, the Bizarre, and Maybe the "Truth!

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes and aluminum did not go into use until the 19th Century. Plus that garnet is outlined with cast aluminum. No way would cheap crap like that have anything to do with the Ark of the Covenant of God. Day Dreamers keep on dreaming and watch all the mud, rock and WOOD.
As the Ark of the Covenant was never on hoax island most here already are aware of that.

While the bobble from a kids holster may make the laginas and their partners stare at each other with wild eyes, it never did anything for anyone else.

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While the bobble from a kids holster may make the laginas and their partners stare at each other with wild eyes, it never did anything for anyone else.

That was some kid's holster: they added some silver to go with the copper just because they could, as well as using a Rhodolite garnet (historically worn by the pharaohs) in place of the usual red plastic blob.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOLā€¦the folks here that actually believe the show is factual and the laginas are not paid actors is hilarious.

OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes...To Solve The Mystery...It May Take...A Million Questions?

Robot Question?...Steve...Have you had time to study Fred Nolan's Surveys...Do you have any opinion on his accuracy?

Robot Question?...Steve...Any opinion that the numerous Drilled Survey Stones may be transit location from Constellations?

Robot Question?...Dr. Spooner...Searchers claimed to have found...Liquid Mercury while drilling...Have you seen any evidence of Mercury?

Robot Question?...Dr. Spooner....Would coal be a vital ingredient along with clay and limestone....with the making of 18th Century...hydraulic cement?

Robot Question?..Dr. Spooner...An answer I have always asked...To hide Gold Coins ownership...Would immersing these Coins in Liquid Mercury....disfigure their origin?

Robot Question?...Dr. Spooner...Has Hydrogen Sulfideā€¦ that was stated to have killed the Restalls....been found in the water anywhere else?

Robot Question?...Dr. Spooner...Did not the Spanish Miners add "Cadmium" to their Refined Gold Bars to add weight?

OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
What is causing the strange electronic malfunctions at Skinwalker Ranch and maybe at Oak Island also?

Thinking on these strange occurrences of electronic components mysteriously malfunctioning, I have come up with my own hypothesis.

The proof needed may be with the finding of a Dump Truck Load of the metal (Gallium) at nearby Blind Frog Ranch and now recent findings at Skinwalker Ranch with what may be the same quantity of the rare metal (Europium), both of these metals are superconductors and are proven to be a vital component for the building of todayā€™s Super Batteries.

Gallium has already been patented as an element for replacing Ni-Cad (Nickelā€“Cadmium) batteries, as it has proven to be thousands of times stronger than Ni-Cad, along with having a greater charge capacity over Lithium-ion and todayā€™s Cobalt batteries.

I believe what may be located on both these ranches is a super large underground battery.

A Super Battery of this dimension would need to contain the 3 essential elements.

ā€œThree main components of a battery: two terminals made of different chemicals (typically metals), (Europium and Zinc) the anode and the cathode; and the electrolyte, (H2S (Hydrogen Sulfide) combined with water to form Sulfuric Acid (H2SO4), which separates these terminals. The electrolyte is a chemical medium that allows the flow of the electrical charge between the cathode and anode.ā€

• Gallium and/or Europium currently located
  • Zinc, Utah is the 5th largest producer of Zinc in the U.S., Zinc is now replacing Nickel as a superior metal for batteries. I am of the belief that Zinc deposits are in abundance along the 40th degree latitude line connecting Blind Frog Ranch and Skinwalker Ranch.
  • Hydrogen Sulfide mixed with the acidic waters circulating within the tunnels running underground would form the Sulfuric Acid Electrolyte. H2S has been detected in the tunnels of Blind Frog Ranch and could be mixed with the acidic water flow between these ranches.
Why would a Super Battery be located beneath Skinwalker Ranch?

Remember in Season 2 where the team experimented with placing unconnected light bulbs in the soil and showed that these light bulbs would light up without wires?

Before his death, Nicola Tesla was in the process of inventing Wireless Electricity Transmissions.
nikola-tesla-magnifying-transmitter.jpg

My hypothesis is there is a Super Battery underground Skinwalker Ranch and it is acting as a Charging Pad for the numerous UAPā€™s seen there, much like todayā€™s newest invention for charging Cellphones, by placing them unplugged on a wireless Charging Pad.

This would further lead to my explanation as to why all the electronic battery failures!

The technology used by whoever built this marvel is based on ā€œReverse Polarityā€.

I learned from my mistake, that if you try to charge a 12 volt battery by mistakenly placing the Battery Charger Cable Connectors on the battery in reverse (Positive Cable on the Negative Post), you will drain the battery and in effect reverse its polarity from a Positive Polarity to a Negative Polarity.

Our Electronics are founded on a Positive Polarity System.

Alien Technology may be based on a superior Negative Polarity System.

Any vehicles or electronic components coming into contact with their Charging Pad would quickly find its power being depleted.

Light bulbs would not be affected as they can use either polarity to function.

I am of the opinion that earlier civilizations (Egyptian, Israelis, Aztecs, and Rosicrucian Alchemists) discovered this technology, using it for what is referred to as ā€œEternal Lightingā€.

I believe that with further investigations we may once again rediscover this future technology for our own use.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Templar, you can not join under multiple names, you are already registered under IExplorer.

gjb

Apr 21, 2016
UK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300i
Garrett EuroAce
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a number of aspects of the Money Pit story that puzzle me. In some reports the ā€˜boysā€™ found a circular depression just over 13 feet in diameter. Why would it have been circular? Could it perhaps have been a square with sides just over 13 feet? It would surely have been difficult to introduce platforms across a circular shaft. Furthermore, thereā€™s no report that Iā€™ve seen observing that the shaft was cribbed despite having been dug to at least 98 feet and potentially far more. Was it perhaps cribbed below the platform at 98 feet and nobody noticed?

Iā€™ll throw in something else perhaps pertinent to the numbers above. I wonā€™t go into details, because this would inevitably raise charges by some (yet again) that Iā€™m a kook with limited intelligence and suspect motives. However, I have a suspicion that maybe the core unit of measure used in the project could have been the British rod which is actually an ancient unit of length. At one time, it was 15 Northern Feet of 13.2 (current) inches, but with the change in the length of the inch and the foot in medieval times it became 16.5 (current) feet, or 5.03m.

However, in the early 1620s Edmund Gunter introduced decimals into the complicated system of feet and inches, introducing a chain of 66 feet divided into 100 links. This became the staple unit for land surveying in British territories with the advantage that 10 chains equals one furlong of 220 yards (this being 1000 links).

Iā€™ve actually used a chain in surveying way back when, though I much preferred a steel tape, and even more using electronic distance measurement! The point is that I was fully aware of some approximate conversions. One of these is that 15 links is more or less 10 feet (9.9 feet), and 10 feet features prominently in some measurements on Oak Island.

For instance, the sides of the Welling and Mallon Triangles were reported as being 10 feet. Could they have been 15 links? The platforms were described as being 10 feet apart. Again, could this also have been 15 links? Ten platforms with equal gaps of 15 links would be 99 feet rather than 98 feet. Furthermore, the width of the shaft at just over 13 feet could have been 20 links (13.2 feet).

My feeling is that the flood tunnel at ā€˜about 500 feetā€™ could have been 30 rods or 495 feet (750 links). The distance between the Headstone and Cone D of Nolanā€™s Cross at 429 feet would be 26 rods or 650 links. The dimensions of the Cross would then be 220 links (145 feet), 444 links (293 feet) and 545 links (360 feet). So much for sacred numbers!

There are further implications that I wonā€™t go into, but suffice to say that Templars couldnā€™t have measured using the link, though they could have used a rod of 15 Northern Feet.

Iā€™m throwing this in because there seems to be an assumption that the unit of measure could have been the British foot, because of lengths such as 10 and 360 feet, but this could be coincidence. The project could still be British or Colonial - USA (Massachusetts) or Canada (Nova Scotia) - but had the above been so then it would probably have been a good few years after 1620 and, given the history of Nova Scotia / Acadia, perhaps occurring in the late 17th century or some time in the 18th century.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
There are a number of aspects of the Money Pit story that puzzle me. In some reports the ā€˜boysā€™ found a circular depression just over 13 feet in diameter. Why would it have been circular? Could it perhaps have been a square with sides just over 13 feet? It would surely have been difficult to introduce platforms across a circular shaft. Furthermore, thereā€™s no report that Iā€™ve seen observing that the shaft was cribbed despite having been dug to at least 98 feet and potentially far more. Was it perhaps cribbed below the platform at 98 feet and nobody noticed?

Iā€™ll throw in something else perhaps pertinent to the numbers above. I wonā€™t go into details, because this would inevitably raise charges by some (yet again) that Iā€™m a kook with limited intelligence and suspect motives. However, I have a suspicion that maybe the core unit of measure used in the project could have been the British rod which is actually an ancient unit of length. At one time, it was 15 Northern Feet of 13.2 (current) inches, but with the change in the length of the inch and the foot in medieval times it became 16.5 (current) feet, or 5.03m.

However, in the early 1620s Edmund Gunter introduced decimals into the complicated system of feet and inches, introducing a chain of 66 feet divided into 100 links. This became the staple unit for land surveying in British territories with the advantage that 10 chains equals one furlong of 220 yards (this being 1000 links).

Iā€™ve actually used a chain in surveying way back when, though I much preferred a steel tape, and even more using electronic distance measurement! The point is that I was fully aware of some approximate conversions. One of these is that 15 links is more or less 10 feet (9.9 feet), and 10 feet features prominently in some measurements on Oak Island.

For instance, the sides of the Welling and Mallon Triangles were reported as being 10 feet. Could they have been 15 links? The platforms were described as being 10 feet apart. Again, could this also have been 15 links? Ten platforms with equal gaps of 15 links would be 99 feet rather than 98 feet. Furthermore, the width of the shaft at just over 13 feet could have been 20 links (13.2 feet).

My feeling is that the flood tunnel at ā€˜about 500 feetā€™ could have been 30 rods or 495 feet (750 links). The distance between the Headstone and Cone D of Nolanā€™s Cross at 429 feet would be 26 rods or 650 links. The dimensions of the Cross would then be 220 links (145 feet), 444 links (293 feet) and 545 links (360 feet). So much for sacred numbers!

There are further implications that I wonā€™t go into, but suffice to say that Templars couldnā€™t have measured using the link, though they could have used a rod of 15 Northern Feet.

Iā€™m throwing this in because there seems to be an assumption that the unit of measure could have been the British foot, because of lengths such as 10 and 360 feet, but this could be coincidence. The project could still be British or Colonial - USA (Massachusetts) or Canada (Nova Scotia) - but had the above been so then it would probably have been a good few years after 1620 and, given the history of Nova Scotia / Acadia, perhaps occurring in the late 17th century or some time in the 18th century.
Interesting thoughts.

My biggest question when digging is why a given depth?
Sure it's fun to speculate math and designs.
But once water or poor substrate is encountered the logistics change quickly.
Which leads to why round and not square...

I'm using hand dug wells as an example. Not saying they are related to Oak Island...

In digging wells by hand (a good example of the logistics and hazards) round is more efficient.
Cutting/digging out the corners of a square means more material being removed.
Round holes have a different pressure on the walls. More uniform if that makes sense.
Fighting gravity makes that pressure worth noting. Add hydraulics if any water is involved and a square hole is going to be caving or have "softer" spots along it.
Encountering a rock or boulder on the walls edge adds a weakness. Depending on what may hold it secure or not.

Wells were rocked up at the bottom on some. A way to filter water seeping in a little but giving strength to the wall below water. More pressure from inside up against the wall so to speak.
That rocking up could continue upward as far as desired. Labor and material dependent of course.

Accounts of well digging have some examples of air quality issues among the hazards.
Gas is a loose term but gas could be encountered. And countered by tossing burning material down the well.
But too , oxygen can get thin. Burning material needs it to burn. And deprives the bottom of the hole more oxygen.

Eighty feet is deep. (!) Any depth below water level is deep. Even if only several feet (My opinion). And instability without serious cribbing of walls is fairly assured. Progress is going to creep , if possible.

A small stone dislodged at the top of an 80 foot hole offers a serious impact potential to a digger at the bottom.
The depths hinted at in Oak Island tales....I almost expect a small cemetery near alleged digging site(s).

A few feet below the water line/level is deep enough (only opinion as usual) to hide something.
The hazards there enough to discourage amateurs from a recovery.
And , what would be put there needs recovered eventually?
Depths in loose and watery substrates logistics would be quite time and labor intensive.
Who knew what size and make up of a crew could return to do so? And was season/time of year of choice assured?

Would no hostilities in the region or area be assured upon return? Or would such a force as to overpower any conflict or resistance be returning to make a recovery?
An extended amount of time on a complicated recovery would increase vulnerability of the recovery party. They still need to eat. Maintain a defense if needed. Counter weather conditions. While undertaking complicated and long time digging?

The first depression noted was conspicuously located. Meaning a crew digging there would be obvious to water traffic. Let alone island dwellers or visitors.
Easy to say it was remote and no one around. But what were the actual traffic routes and different groups ,nations plying the waters conditions?
Hours digging there maybe.
Days or weeks of hydraulic engineering carried out and depths defying the given substrate and tons of construction material and tools?
That would be an attention grabbing operation.
Why not just pitch a marquee tent for privacy (And a no red flag beyond a group camped briefly)and dig through the floor enough to make a cache?
Blend the surface effectively after with the adjacent ground surface and all is well. (Well pun intended).

gjb

Apr 21, 2016
UK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300i
Garrett EuroAce
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the clarification.

gjb

Apr 21, 2016
UK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300i
Garrett EuroAce
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To continue the rod unit of measure scenario, it may be wondered why an engineer / surveyor might use link measures when measuring vertically. This could have something to do with the necessity of navigating underground, that is, excavating tunnels.

If thereā€™s a flood tunnel connecting Smithā€™s Cove to the Money Pit then the originator presumably excavated two shafts, one at each location, and ran a tunnel between them. The Oak Island author Rupert Furneaux referred to the Smithā€™s Cove shaft as the Sump Hole.

To navigate underground, the engineer would use magnetic compass bearings, but he would start by marking the location of one of the shafts on the surface and measuring out the length of the proposed tunnel using a magnetic bearing to the other point. He could dig the two shafts and then tunnel from both ends using his compass, meeting somewhere in the middle. Thus, the line underground would follow the line on the surface.

As the Money Pit could have been some forty feet above sea level, its depth would be that much greater than the Sump Hole if digging straight. While trying to block the flood tunnel at Smithā€™s Cove, water was found at some 80 feet which might be an indication of the depth of the Sump Hole. This is 120 links, and so the same level at the Money Pit would be at 180 links deep or 118.8 feet by the above reasoning.

However, the so-called Upper Flood Tunnel which was found at 110 feet (166 links) was reported to angle upwards at about 22.5 degrees and so would hardly connect in a straight line with the bottom of the Sump Hole at an equivalent of 180 links deep. The tunnel was described as being four feet by 2.5 feet. Now, was the depth of 110 feet measured at the top of the tunnel?

If the line of the tunnel began at the centre of the shaft at 180 links deep at 22.5 degrees then the radius being assumed to be 10 links the tunnel would have risen 4 links at the edge of the shaft. At 4 feet by 2.5 feet it may have been 6 links by 4 links and so the top of the tunnel would have been at 170 links (112.2 feet) at this point.

Thus, the Money Pit could have had ten platforms of 15 links followed by the spruce platform (the so-called treasure platform) ten links lower at 160 links (106 feet) leaving a fairly safe gap of 10 links to the top of the tunnel. The difference in measure of one foot or so could be because the surface was that much lower than the original due to all the excavations that had taken place up to that time.

So, how did the originator keep the bearing of the upward sloping tunnel constant? I suggest that he may have used a frame to do so constructed at an angle of 22.5 degrees. That angle may seem strange, but an approximation is provided by a Pythagorean triangle with sides of 5, 12 and 13 units which is 22.6 degrees.

Consider, then, that the tunnellers would be able to work out where they were underground since they would rise 5 links for every 13 on the tunnel floor and would have travelled 12 links on the surface. So, if sea level was at 60 links down in the Money Pit then when they reached that point theyā€™d be 288 links from the centre of the Money Pit at the surface and could actually measure this out on magnetic bearings and stand on the spot.

Just for argumentā€™s sake, should they then excavate a chamber underground at this point (presumably safe from water if above sea level) it could be reached by digging a hole at the surface to a depth of some 30 feet. Should they continue tunnelling at sea level to the mid-point of the tunnelā€™s length then theyā€™d only need to dig down 20 feet.

This, then, is the essence of Cache Theory, that the originator dug outwards and upwards from the Money Pit and deposited his treasure at a point that he could easily identify on the surface by distance and bearing. However, should there be a lengthy delay in recovery there would be a problem. Compass variation differs over time. So, heā€™d be obliged to convert to true bearings and provide the directions in either polar coordinates (this distance at that angle) or Cartesian coordinates (this distance due east and then that distance due north).

You should be getting the point. There would be instructions for finding the right spot, because the treasure is not in the Money Pit. However, the Money Pit might not be recognisable, so it would probably be highly desirable to have other ground markers on the surface to take measurements from. Like drilled rocks? Like stone Triangles? Like Nolanā€™s Cross?

Could it be ... instructions for identifying the point chosen by the originator using these ground markers actually exist? People tend to laugh this out of court, because theyā€™re unable or unwilling to suspend disbelief and try to work it out. So, with what we know about Oak Island, and might be able to glean from this, could it now be possible to work out what these instructions actually mean? I happen to believe that this could be so. It just so happens that nobody else does!

Thatā€™s one of the great problems of the Oak Island mystery. Someone could come up with the path to the right answer and nobody would consider it and follow it up, because theyā€™ve decided that they know what the answer is or isnā€™t. That includes Rick, Marty and Prometheus, whose thoughts on the mystery are currently the only ones that actually count for anything.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
That's some busy math!
Meaning I'd be one handed a shovel instead , again.

As an attribute gauge underground free from magnetic interference a simple clear bottle or glass half full of water(or half empty depending on one's perspective) can be marked with the proper angle of the dangle prior. A crude level so to speak.

Water seeks it's own level. That has to apply.
The attribute gauge of one piece of water filled modern tubing to measure distant heights to compare them indicates such. Example: https://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Water-Level

We'll have gravity encourage it downhill easy enough.
But in tubes and tunnels and reservoirs , if the volume supplied allows unimpeded flow , a same level of /with it's supply will be sought by water itself naturally if gravity can't counter it.

I have not sought a side view of design of Oak Islands hydraulic system(s) Vs. the water table(s). proposed.
How an overall level ends up with the natural level would be first search.
And secondarily, how any level anywhere wouldn't.
Failure or certain relieving type modification would hint at the general / "normal" water level being recreated more naturally again. At least leaning towards the more original aquifer traits and levels.

Readyman

Tenderfoot
Mar 3, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To continue the rod unit of measure scenario, it may be wondered why an engineer / surveyor might use link measures when measuring vertically. This could have something to do with the necessity of navigating underground, that is, excavating tunnels.

If thereā€™s a flood tunnel connecting Smithā€™s Cove to the Money Pit then the originator presumably excavated two shafts, one at each location, and ran a tunnel between them. The Oak Island author Rupert Furneaux referred to the Smithā€™s Cove shaft as the Sump Hole.

To navigate underground, the engineer would use magnetic compass bearings, but he would start by marking the location of one of the shafts on the surface and measuring out the length of the proposed tunnel using a magnetic bearing to the other point. He could dig the two shafts and then tunnel from both ends using his compass, meeting somewhere in the middle. Thus, the line underground would follow the line on the surface.

As the Money Pit could have been some forty feet above sea level, its depth would be that much greater than the Sump Hole if digging straight. While trying to block the flood tunnel at Smithā€™s Cove, water was found at some 80 feet which might be an indication of the depth of the Sump Hole. This is 120 links, and so the same level at the Money Pit would be at 180 links deep or 118.8 feet by the above reasoning.

However, the so-called Upper Flood Tunnel which was found at 110 feet (166 links) was reported to angle upwards at about 22.5 degrees and so would hardly connect in a straight line with the bottom of the Sump Hole at an equivalent of 180 links deep. The tunnel was described as being four feet by 2.5 feet. Now, was the depth of 110 feet measured at the top of the tunnel?

If the line of the tunnel began at the centre of the shaft at 180 links deep at 22.5 degrees then the radius being assumed to be 10 links the tunnel would have risen 4 links at the edge of the shaft. At 4 feet by 2.5 feet it may have been 6 links by 4 links and so the top of the tunnel would have been at 170 links (112.2 feet) at this point.

Thus, the Money Pit could have had ten platforms of 15 links followed by the spruce platform (the so-called treasure platform) ten links lower at 160 links (106 feet) leaving a fairly safe gap of 10 links to the top of the tunnel. The difference in measure of one foot or so could be because the surface was that much lower than the original due to all the excavations that had taken place up to that time.

So, how did the originator keep the bearing of the upward sloping tunnel constant? I suggest that he may have used a frame to do so constructed at an angle of 22.5 degrees. That angle may seem strange, but an approximation is provided by a Pythagorean triangle with sides of 5, 12 and 13 units which is 22.6 degrees.

Consider, then, that the tunnellers would be able to work out where they were underground since they would rise 5 links for every 13 on the tunnel floor and would have travelled 12 links on the surface. So, if sea level was at 60 links down in the Money Pit then when they reached that point theyā€™d be 288 links from the centre of the Money Pit at the surface and could actually measure this out on magnetic bearings and stand on the spot.

Just for argumentā€™s sake, should they then excavate a chamber underground at this point (presumably safe from water if above sea level) it could be reached by digging a hole at the surface to a depth of some 30 feet. Should they continue tunnelling at sea level to the mid-point of the tunnelā€™s length then theyā€™d only need to dig down 20 feet.

This, then, is the essence of Cache Theory, that the originator dug outwards and upwards from the Money Pit and deposited his treasure at a point that he could easily identify on the surface by distance and bearing. However, should there be a lengthy delay in recovery there would be a problem. Compass variation differs over time. So, heā€™d be obliged to convert to true bearings and provide the directions in either polar coordinates (this distance at that angle) or Cartesian coordinates (this distance due east and then that distance due north).

You should be getting the point. There would be instructions for finding the right spot, because the treasure is not in the Money Pit. However, the Money Pit might not be recognisable, so it would probably be highly desirable to have other ground markers on the surface to take measurements from. Like drilled rocks? Like stone Triangles? Like Nolanā€™s Cross?

Could it be ... instructions for identifying the point chosen by the originator using these ground markers actually exist? People tend to laugh this out of court, because theyā€™re unable or unwilling to suspend disbelief and try to work it out. So, with what we know about Oak Island, and might be able to glean from this, could it now be possible to work out what these instructions actually mean? I happen to believe that this could be so. It just so happens that nobody else does!

Thatā€™s one of the great problems of the Oak Island mystery. Someone could come up with the path to the right answer and nobody would consider it and follow it up, because theyā€™ve decided that they know what the answer is or isnā€™t. That includes Rick, Marty and Prometheus, whose thoughts on the mystery are currently the only ones that actually count for anything.
Think of the large number of workers needed for an operation of this scope. Lookouts, security crew, miners, woodworkers, cooks, sailors, engineers. Feeding, fresh water, housing, them and for a long duration with this all dug and built by hand labor. And think, no surviving drawn plans, maps, written text about the project, even the dating of the original underground work is unknown. But again, what if the buried 'stuff' wasn't meant ever to be found, flooding everything to protect it?

gjb

Apr 21, 2016
UK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300i
Garrett EuroAce
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Imagine a time of war before Halifax and Chester had been founded and before settlement really took off (maybe the 1740s). The British army military engineers undertake the project with a significant presence in Mahone Bay and the navyā€™s Press gangs operate in the area tending to encourage people off the water.

Itā€™s wartime. People expect to see the military out in force and there might even be a small military presence in La Have as well as Annapolis Royal. Thereā€™s nothing secret about the military being in the bay, theyā€™re not hiding, and probably few of those taking part are aware of the end purpose of what theyā€™re doing and donā€™t actually care. There could even be a plausible cover story.

The military has never had a shortage of personnel and doesnā€™t generally lack for resources. Whatā€™s more, if the government doesnā€™t want something documented then it doesnā€™t get documented. Perhaps the project was to provide a ā€˜bankā€™ in which to store funds to finance the various wars against the French in the Americas. That wouldnā€™t be broadcast to the world.

There have to be alternatives to something buried that was never intended to be recovered which, while not impossible, would surely tend to be at the bottom of peopleā€™s lists.

gjb

Apr 21, 2016
UK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300i
Garrett EuroAce
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Itā€™s my feeling that there may be a bigger picture to Oak Island thatā€™s been completely missed in that the ancient roadway, being apparently oddly placed with respect to the mainland and leading to a swamp, may have a role in the overall design.

In the image below, a line overlaying the roadway has been extended to the southeast of the island cutting across the swamp and running just south of the Welling Triangle. In fact, it has been observed that when standing south of the triangle one could look straight up the roadway.

OIOverlay1.jpg

The line drawn from points P0 to P10 represents a length of 250 rods (just over three-quarters of a mile) and might be seen as being in ten lengths of 25 rods. Itā€™s also shown here as three sections of 75 rods starting at a point P1 which is 25 rods from the extreme west of the island (Point P0).

I feel that point P1 may once have been identified in some way, but no doubt improvements to the roadway would have removed any such marking (itā€™s about 200 feet from the bend in the road). Nevertheless, Iā€™d still look!

The roadway is deemed to bear at 30 degrees south of magnetic east. One significant aspect of the division of the line in three parts is that the centre section containing Nolanā€™s Cross could be shifted southeastwards along the line of the roadway to overlay the section at the east that contains the Money Pit, drilled rocks, Cave-In Pit and triangles (that is, move point P4 to point P7). This would have the effect of moving Nolanā€™s Cross 75 rods to the southeast.

As shown in the diagram below, this shift puts the point lying mid-way between the Headstone and Cone D slap-bang in the middle of the north-south lines running through the drilled rocks (see also the inset at top right).
OIOverlay2.jpg

This is not the only indicator that this point could be significant. It so happens that the distance on magnetic bearings between the two lines on which the drilled rocks are placed is exactly the same as the distance between the Headstone and Cone D, that is, 429 feet or 26 rods.

Moreover, this point is also made glaringly obvious through the mechanism by which the rocks are placed, being the centre point of a figure formed by placing equilateral triangles side by side, as in the diagram below.

OIOverlay3.jpg

The figure inset at top right is a larger depiction of the rhombus construct which I refer to as the Rhombus Rectangle. The point marked ā€˜Gā€™ is the Cave-In Pit where somebody dug a hole some 18 feet deep and 8 feet wide in search of ... what?

I almost dread suggesting here that the points ā€˜Aā€™ to ā€˜Gā€™ are the target points of map instructions.

I would merely point out that the distance between point P1 on the roadway at the west of the island to a point due south of the Welling Triangle is 3091 feet, from there to the Money Pit is 301 feet and from there to the east rock is 432 feet. So, to get to the centre line indicated from Point P1 one would go 515 fathoms SouthEast, 50 fathoms North and then 36 fathoms NorthEast requiring a further 36 fathoms NorthEast to get to the East Rock. You may have seen these instructions before on a so-called treasure map:

MapDInstructions.gif

The target of the last line of the above is due north of the point indicated being the point marked ā€˜Dā€™ on the Rhombus Rectangle, the remaining distance being spanned by a mechanism incorporating three feet + three feet + four times three feet = eighteen feet.

Instructions have been published that identify points A, C, D, E and F, all working in exactly the same way. The points are 37 feet apart and the variances of the instructions from target are as shown below.
P07MapP2.gif

All this derives from assuming that a rod of 16.5 feet was used as a unit of measure on Oak Island with a magnetic variation (declination) indicated by the tilt of the Welling Triangle - which was presumably left as found for that very reason.

A disconcerting thought is that the treasure hunter has to know of the existence of these ground features (the Money Pit, drilled rocks and triangles, the roadway and perhaps even Nolanā€™s Cross) on arrival at the island. However, on the plus side we actually do know about them, and most fortunately we have the findings of the Roper Survey to help solve the riddle they present.

On the other hand, youā€™d have to be prepared to consider that these points are the essential ingredients in solving a puzzle and that the Money Pit is just a point on the ground that you have to know about - nothing more and nothing less.

Unfortunately, it seems that very few people past and present were, or are, prepared to consider that this could be so. All this is now considered to be the stuff of kooks and crazies.

ā€œThe past is a foreign country: they do things differently there.ā€ L.P. Hartley.

gjb

Apr 21, 2016
UK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300i
Garrett EuroAce
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ground features at the east of the island - the two drilled rocks and the two equilateral triangles - having been dismissed by many as totally unimportant, have now been completely destroyed or removed. However, such destruction ignores the possibility, and even the likelihood, that such features found on the island were intentionally left and are thus significant.

It has been suggested that these ground markers may have been station points in a survey, though apparently not considering that their positions may be related to each other. That is, there could be a single schema underlying their placement.

Should this have been so, it might be possible to determine what that schema was, because although we no longer have the ground markers we do have the results of the Roper Survey which connected the two drilled rocks and the Welling Triangle. In fact, with the help of the clue provided by the tilt of the Welling Triangle it is actually possible to deduce a schema and reproduce the findings of the Roper Survey.

Understanding the ground survey that resulted in the placing of the rocks and triangles might help us to understand what the originator planned.

Rupert Furneaux suggested that the tilt of the Welling Triangle was potentially half the angle of magnetic variation that applied at the time of construction which would make this 13.2 degrees west of north. However, it might also have been the angle represented by twice the tangent of tilt which would be 13 degrees (ATN 2/āˆš75). This is what I believe it to have been, because by making this so the Roper Survey can be replicated and the map instructions operate in unison.

Incidentally, it would not be possible to date the operation from compass variation because records of the time are scarce and potentially unreliable. However, charts of Halifax harbour at the time of its construction about 1749 indicate that a variation of 13 degrees would have applied shortly before that date (maybe 1740 or potentially about 1650 if in the preceding century).

Placing the drilled rocks and triangles and thereby replicating the Roper Survey is simplicity itself. It begins with a line drawn magnetic east from the Money Pit with a length of 30 rods (495 feet) terminating at a point described here as the Cove Point as in the diagram at left below. Then, to place the Mallon Triangle simply create an equilateral triangle (angles of 60 degrees) on this line pointing southeast (below right).
OISchema1.gif

To place the Welling Triangle, draw a line at 30 degrees southwest from a point due east of the Money Pit and due south of the Cove Point and terminating due south of the Money Pit as at left in the diagram below. To place the line upon which the East Rock is to be positioned, draw a line at 60 degrees southwest true from the Cove Point and a line 60 degrees southeast true from the Money Pit to intersect as at right in the diagram below.
OISchema2.gif

This has not only defined the line of the East Rock but also the key centre line midway between the rocks - the line identified in the previous post. The rocks themselves are also placed by employing angles of 30 degrees.

From a point due south of the Cove Point and due east of the Money Pit draw a line 45 rods magnetic west divided into three lengths of 15 rods. From each of these points draw a line at 30 degrees northeast magnetic to intersect with the three lines created above. The points of intersection are the two drilled rocks and the rock mid-point (see at left below).
OISchema3.gif

The illustrations have placed the Money Pit, the two triangles and the two drilled rocks in a single schema with the ability to calculate the distances between all of the points and, most important, replicating the Roper Survey.

Roper found the distance between the rocks to be 421.5 feet bearing at 7 degrees. The line here is 421.2 feet in length and does in fact bear at 7 degrees. As Roper found, the line to the Welling Triangle passes through its east face and terminates below its base.

The apex of the Welling Triangle is 278.5 feet due south of the Money Pit and the West Rock is 57.8 feet north of the Money Pit. As Iā€™ve observed, the key point in this schema becomes glaringly obvious - and itā€™s certainly not the Money Pit (see at right in the figure above).

The ā€˜Xā€™ lies 209 feet due east of the Money Pit and then 55.7 feet due north.

Last edited:

gjb

Apr 21, 2016
UK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300i
Garrett EuroAce
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may be wondered just how the Money Pit might be positioned on this overall Oak Island ground plan. In an earlier diagram the roadway was extended and divided into 10 parts with points marked P0 to P10.

In the diagram below, the Money Pit lies on a line drawn due east of point P6, and it will be noted that there is also a point P11 situated magnetic north of point P10 on this line.
OIOverlay4.jpg

The point P11 was used in the previous message to place the Welling Triangle and the drilled rocks and is 30 rods magnetic north of point P10.

In this schema, all the major ground features found on Oak Island would be inter-connected which is to say that this is a well-ordered and integrated whole rather than a haphazard collection of random pieces. Such would be the work of a professional engineer / surveyor whoā€™s doing the job properly and thoroughly.

This is also to say that such should be expected rather than dismissed out-of-hand as being overkill. As may be appreciated, it would also be a weakness as itā€™s the very suspicion of an ordered whole that might permit the underlying schema to be revealed.

On the other hand, it would appear that all the clues necessary to do this were intentionally left on the island, perhaps arguing that this could have been intended as a contingency plan should the originator be unable to communicate the location of the deposit in person.

Someone knowing the island and with some knowledge of the operation might be expected to be able to work this out using the clues left for that purpose. It might also reasonably be expected that they would not spend some 230 years digging at the Money Pit!

gjb

Apr 21, 2016
UK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300i
Garrett EuroAce
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a great deal seems to be said about the two triangles formed from stones laid out on the ground found near the south shore. The Welling Triangle has gone for good, but itā€™s unclear whether the Mallon Triangle has also been removed.

Itā€™s reported that they were both equilateral triangles which was what actually prompted me to look to see if angles of 60 degrees and 30 degrees might have featured in the ground plan and, specifically, in the placing of the triangles themselves. As Iā€™ve observed, the clues are all there.

A Halifax Herald-Chronicle newspaper report of June 15, 1972, reads, "Mr. Mallon told a reporter that he had found a stone triangle on Oak Island, measuring 10-and-one-half feet, nine-and-one-half feet and 10 feet." The Welling Triangle is also reported to have had sides of ten feet.

Rupert Furneaux, who spoke to Mallon by phone about the triangle, reports that he told him that it lacks the half circle of stones that encompass the base of the Welling Triangle and that it points north to the Cave-In Shaft excavation while lying some 450 plus feet southeast from the Money Pit area (the Hedden Shaft).

An Oak Island researcher, Paul Wroclawski, informed me some twenty years back that he had relocated the Mallon Triangle but that it was in very poor shape as some of the stones appeared to have been removed. Iā€™ve also been informed that Steve Guptill (from TCoOI) claims also to have found it, but from the description provided I doubt very much that this is so.

The location at which I suggest the Mallon Triangle may have been placed ties in well with Mallonā€™s observations. The images with the overlay Iā€™ve provided in previous posts suggest that the triangle might lie some 360 feet due south of the lowest point of the Cave-In Shaft excavation ā€˜craterā€™ where, I understand, Dan Blankenship found the ā€˜Gā€™ Stone and promptly removed it. Dan was never a great respecter of Oak Island archaeology! The point at which the lines intersect is 337.6 feet due east of the Money Pit.

With respect to the Welling Triangle, one might reflect on how this would have been laid out at the angle of tilt reported = ATN 1/āˆš75 = 6.6 degrees. Itā€™s not difficult if you think carefully about it, but it is tedious.

In my view, it had to be truly important and very likely communicates something highly significant: that the angle of magnetic variation operating at the time is twice this tangent at ATN 2/āˆš75 = 13 degrees. This may be why the figure is shaped like a sextant: that is, the angle of tilt is paramount. As Iā€™ve observed, the clues are all there.

Last edited:

gjb

Apr 21, 2016
UK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300i
Garrett EuroAce
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What has preceded could be mere happenstance, but the suggested ground plan does receive potential support from another direction. The point is, just how likely is it that this could happen should the ground plan be pure conjecture and should the data itā€™s being matched to be pure fiction.

What might be the odds against this happening, that is, finding order when applying claimed fictional directions to an equally fictional ground plan? Sensibly, it just shouldnā€™t happen.

In this, I would simply ask the reader to suspend disbelief and assess what is being presented in a truly objective manner. By all means bear in mind that the ground plan may not be what the originator drew up and that the directions employed could have been fabricated, but ask yourself how on earth the result of the process described could be achieved were this so.

Assume that you need to identify locations on the ground by reference to five ground markers positioned using a dreamed up geometrical schema. The five points could be anywhere on a plot of land 420 feet by 480 feet. Put them wherever you want.

Now, conjure up five sets of instructions out of thin air employing between five and eight random numbers with the same number of random bearings as offsets from three of the five points on the ground. Then, draw a figure on the ground and interpreting the instructions in the same way make them end up positioned equally-spaced on that figure.

Whatā€™s the likelihood that you could achieve that in one go and would you reasonably expect that to happen? Whatā€™s the likelihood that you could do it in a thousand goes? I suggest that your winning the lottery, should you enter, would be far more likely. Bear in mind that everything is random because the entire basis is fictional.

Thatā€™s what many might consider we have on Oak Island. Iā€™ve drawn up what many would consider a fictional ground plan and now I intend to apply five sets of widely-assumed fictional instructions to it. The aim is to match these to five out of seven equally-spaced points on the Rhombus Rectangle that emerged quite naturally and geometrically from the ground plan I developed based on the placing of the ground markers on Oak Island.

Of course, the directions Iā€™m talking about are the instructions on five much-derided treasure maps - and note well only the instructions, not the outline of the island. Iā€™ve previously observed that these instructions when interpreted in exactly the same way using the ground plan developed in the preceding posts lead to five of the seven points marked on the Rhombus Rectangle.

Iā€™m amazed that this could happen by sheer accident, but it seems that Iā€™m the only person who is! I assume that this is because people have decided that they donā€™t believe in treasure maps. Treasure hunters who donā€™t concede the possibility of there having been treasure maps? Could it be?

Iā€™ve noted that it seems that clues are being intentionally left by the originator, and thereā€™s a clue to the working of the instructions provided on one of the maps. The text reads, ā€œfrom centre of triangle between Rocks,ā€ followed by a distance (20 feet) and a bearing (East). This actually leads to the point on the Rhombus designated 'F' and is short of target by just 7 inches.

However, this immediately opens up the remaining sets of instructions. They all work in the same way:

Identify three points by distance and bearing from the ground markers identified: the drilled rocks, triangle or Tree (Money Pit). Form a triangle and find its centre (by median). Then take an offset as specified in the direction of the Rock Centre Point unless stated otherwise. Should a unit be specified in the offset on the last line in the form ā€œa by b by cā€ then resolve this as ā€œa + b + acā€.

This is why ā€œ3 feet by 3 feet by FOURā€ resolves to 18 feet, ā€œ7 feet by 7 feet by 8" is 70 feet and ā€œ5 feet by 4 feet by 5" is 34 feet.

So, the instructions given in an earlier post would read: From a point on the Roadway at the west of the island go 515 fathoms southeast (to the Welling Triangle) and then 50 fathoms north (to the Tree, or Money Pit) and then 36 fathoms in the direction of the East Rock which is then 36 fathoms from this spot. Form a triangle with the two rocks and find its centre and continue 18 feet (north) from there. The end point is a mere five inches short of the target (the Rhombus point designated 'D').

That this could be done once with purely random distances and random bearings from a fictional map based on a fictional ground plan is surprising to me, but to be able to do it five times is almost unbelievable.

Unfortunately, the maps have not been well received and thereā€™s a tendency to write off the instructions along with the outline of the island and the pieces of paper. These may well be copies of copies of copies, and the island outline looks little like Oak Island, but this should have no bearing on the validity or application of the instructions.

I fully appreciate that if youā€™ve decided the treasure is in the Money Pit and you desperately want the originator to be Templar then this is not for you.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread