Metal Detecting
He seems like a real nice guy.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will find that many will have a preformed opinion of him that he is not likeable....but that can be said of any one of us here on Tnet by those who have never met us personally as well. Best not to judge a man whom you haven't given a fare chance. He does have a nice gig and he has found some treasures on his own, not on OI.

OP
OP
J

johnnyboy25

Aug 27, 2006
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
01/04/20 NOKTA IMPACT
You will find that many will have a preformed opinion of him that he is not likeable....but that can be said of any one of us here on Tnet by those who have never met us personally as well. Best not to judge a man whom you haven't given a fare chance. He does have a nice gig and he has found some treasures on his own, not on OI.
Well said.

bjw

Feb 2, 2006
Fleetwood, PA
Detector(s) used
X5 Tesoro DFX
He is what he is. He can be annoying, frequently is, a professional, well I guess he obviously is being paid, most of the "finds: could be made with a Bounty Hunter.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What do you think of Gary on Oak Island?
He seems to be the one who finds most of the treasure on the island....!

Hey, a club of detectorists, could find tons of clues, for the brothers to chase...!
Search any lot that Samuel Ball owned, since he was a cabbage farmer, that suddenly turned RICH...!
Wasn't that strange occurance ever looked deeply into....??

Tfinder1

Greenie
Aug 14, 2011
AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle, Whites DFX, Whites Surfmaster , Minelab GPX 3500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love the cast and the fellowship of the dig. I swear if it takes another 20 years I will watch this til I die
.Each person has a place in the show and has valuable input. You got to give them credit for trying to answer a 220 year old question on one of the Worlds most interesting treasure hunts ever. When its all said and done this is going to be a story to change the history books.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You got to give them credit for trying to answer a 220 year old question on one of the Worlds most interesting treasure hunts ever. When its all said and done this is going to be a story to change the history books.
Not unless they start to treat it like an archeological dig instead of a TV show. No one will take a find seriously. Even if they find something, they have destroyed any hope of knowing who left it. If anything was there to begin with it will have zero providence after 30 groups have pawed over and drilled the island and backfilled it repeatedly.

Look at the ”Roman” sword that was purchased off Italy’s eBaY just before it was “discovered”.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When its all said and done this is going to be a story to change the history books.

Yup, it will rank up there with Geraldo Rivera's "Al Capone's vault" debacle. Except Geraldo didn't spend millions of dollars looking for Al Capone's vault! Lol!

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gary started out in England metal detecting and and rose to fame in Florida.
He left his country hoping to better himself and his dream came true.
The producers of the show know how to keep viewers tuning in and meet with the cast and filming occurs.
We also could be one precious recovery away and become famous like Gary with our metal detectors ..

Tfinder1

Greenie
Aug 14, 2011
AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle, Whites DFX, Whites Surfmaster , Minelab GPX 3500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not if single stack wonder has anything to do with it...:laughing7:
I don't fully agree, the Current Dig of the TV Show has on site archaeologists , they get permits for almost everything and all finds are documented, tagged and bagged. I agree that in the PAST, it was not done well and much got disturbed, But much is also being uncovered on previously UNEXPLORED lot sites and Much is being discovered by the drill sites, the dating of wood and small artifacts. Give them time, their is still a story to be told and a treasure to find.
As always everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't find coconut husks metal detecting ,but everything else they've found are items dug up by most metal detectorists everywhere. Rotted wooden planks, gold gilt buttons, Spanish coins, spikes, iron junk and so on. None of those finds prove that there's treasure there or that there ever was treausre buried there and removed.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not the skeptic, I do even watch the show when I see it scrolling the channels. I like most all treasure chases even if they are unbelievable....I find them entertaining either way. I hope they find something of real historical value, but thus far a lot of what they show has many assumption and possibility labels put on them. That's OK, i watch it for what it is. Not a supporter of the show, and certainly not against it. Now, member Singlestackwonder......he is a different animal. Surprised he has not showed up here yet.

Barmint1960

Jan 28, 2023
Gary started out in England metal detecting and and rose to fame in Florida.
He left his country hoping to better himself and his dream came true.
The producers of the show know how to keep viewers tuning in and meet with the cast and filming occurs.
We also could be one precious recovery away and become famous like Gary with our metal detectors ..
They never find anything

Bioheat1969

Jan 1, 2021
Dudley, MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been following this story since the 70s, when I first heard of it on In Search of...with Leonard Nemoy. I think there's a story there to be told. As for Gary, seems nice enough, would love to spend a day detecting with him on the island. I'll bet I could place as many flags with my x-terra as he does.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gary is a great water hunter here in Florida. He's posting quality rings and jewelry every week, and gets in the water more than most do. He got some great rings last week, and is probably waiting for the sun to rise at his favorite swimming spot right now. The show has given him the freedom to hunt where and whenever he wants !!

Hunter1805

Dec 3, 2005
NY
Detector(s) used
E Track, Fisher 6a
If I recall Gary is the second guy with a detector on the island. Can you guys confirm ?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I recall Gary is the second guy with a detector on the island. Can you guys confirm ?
My hunting partner Dave was on at the start, he quit when he realized they weren't really serious about chasing the truth and were more interested in show ratings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions