Oar Locks and Cleat

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I find a few of these a year here in the waters around NYC, scuba diving or wading. They are most likely from small boats that were lost or damaged in a storm or burned on a beach when the boats were old, that was common up to about 60+ years ago with wood boats. For somebody that might not have seen one before the round and open ones are called oar locks and would hold an oar on the boat while rowing. All 4 are different if you look closely. The last piece on top is a cleat and is used to fasten a line to a dock or a boat, I'm sure mine came from a boat because of the size, style and where I found it, off the beach where there wasn't a dock of any kind.
oar.jpg
lock.jpg
Look close at the cleat in the second picture and you can see the wear marks from lines. I have a larger collection, but these are the ones I've found in the last 18 months and just had time to tumble them. These are all brass, but in the past, I've have found Bronze also. Thanks for looking

Upvote 5

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lot are from hurricanes from first part of 20th century that hammered north east

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
full

couple of mine - they were in display at maritime museum