Odd civil war bullet

DiggerKid2003

Jul 5, 2014
Spotsylvania VA
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Garret Pro Pointer, Wireless Z-Lynk headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My buddy found this bullet in a battle spot where he found hundreds of other bullets. You guys know how it is with civil war bullets, some can get really expensive and can be hard to identify, which is why I’m posting this here. I don’t have the exact measurements as I only had a few minutes to snap some pictures, but it should give you a decent gauge on it. It’s longer and thinner than a Gardner, but has two rings like a Gardner. Thanks for the help, -DK

E3AE5217-C713-46AA-A695-A74DA6F649DA.jpeg

A2C8529E-1C63-48FE-A128-7CC17102D7FB.jpeg

591149D1-CCD5-458D-BAD6-C061E5A5815A.jpeg

Here’s the base next to a Gardner, doesn’t help too much but you can tell it’s just a thinner bullet

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The key ID-clue to correctly identifying your "odd civil war bullet" is to note that in addition to being much longer and thinner than a standard Gardner minie, it has been fired. It is what we civil war bullet collectors call a "stretchie" -- because it is a standard .58 Gardner which got compressed and "stretched" by loading and firing it from a .52 Sharps Breechloader.

Unlike most other civil war era Breechloader rifles, the Sharps fired a bullet which did not have a metal cartridge casing... AND, the .52-caliber Sharps breech chamber was so "oversized" that it would accept a .58-caliber bullet.

Sometimes when a soldier who had a .52 Sharps ran out of Sharps bullets in desperate combat he would use whatever other kind of bullets he could fit into the Sharps breech chamber. The photo below (actually, a scan) shows three different kinds of "stretchies" in my collection which were fired from a .52 Sharps. From left to right, they are:
.58 Williams Regulation minie,
.58 Williams "Bore-Cleaner" Type 3 bullet, and
.56 CS Richmond Sharps Rifle bullet.

The proof they were fired out of a .52 Sharps is:
1- they measure .52-inch in diameter, plus a smidge for the rifling-marks, and
2- they show the distinctive 6-groove rifling of a .52 Sharps.

For certainty about the ID of your bullet, check its body for 6-groove rifling marks, and check its diameter with a digital caliper.

Attachments

• bullets_stretchies_Williams58Regulation-Williams58Cleaner3-Richmond56Sharps_scanbyPeter-C-George.jpg
    bullets_stretchies_Williams58Regulation-Williams58Cleaner3-Richmond56Sharps_scanbyPeter-C-George.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
DiggerKid2003

DiggerKid2003

Jul 5, 2014
Spotsylvania VA
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Garret Pro Pointer, Wireless Z-Lynk headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow as always thank you for the knowledge CBG, it hadn’t even occurred to me that this could be the case. The fact that a soldier may have used whatever bullet would fit in desperation makes this a cooler piece of history IMO. I’ll get him to check for the 6 grooves and add an update if need be, but it seems like you nailed it, thanks again!

Upvote 0

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
The Cannonball Guy is correct in my opinion. We all appreciate his vast knowledge.

Upvote 0

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Cannonball guy took the words right out of my mouth lol you just had a legend answer your question and you could take that to the bank. He’s vastly knowledgeable with artillery etc. looks like you had a good lead day Congratulations. II never get tired picking up lead

Upvote 0

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've dug around 1000 bullets in the same county as the poster, yet I've never dug one or even heard of one until I stopped in for todays lesson from the master.
Thanks Diggerkid for posting and thanks Cannonball guy for the lesson.

Upvote 0

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man,you learn something new every day on this site!First time I heard of a stretchie.I,ll file that away for the future.Thanks cannonballguy!

Upvote 0

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent find and ID

Upvote 0

Elvis

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Lafayette, Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Nokta Simplex+
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The key ID-clue to correctly identifying your "odd civil war bullet" is to note that in addition to being much longer and thinner than a standard Gardner minie, it has been fired. It is what we civil war bullet collectors call a "stretchie" -- because it is a standard .58 Gardner which got compressed and "stretched" by loading and firing it from a .52 Sharps Breechloader.

Unlike most other civil war era Breechloader rifles, the Sharps fired a bullet which did not have a metal cartridge casing... AND, the .52-caliber Sharps breech chamber was so "oversized" that it would accept a .58-caliber bullet.

Sometimes when a soldier who had a .52 Sharps ran out of Sharps bullets in desperate combat he would use whatever other kind of bullets he could fit into the Sharps breech chamber. The photo below (actually, a scan) shows three different kinds of "stretchies" in my collection which were fired from a .52 Sharps. From left to right, they are:
.58 Williams Regulation minie,
.58 Williams "Bore-Cleaner" Type 3 bullet, and
.56 CS Richmond Sharps Rifle bullet.

The proof they were fired out of a .52 Sharps is:
1- they measure .52-inch in diameter, plus a smidge for the rifling-marks, and
2- they show the distinctive 6-groove rifling of a .52 Sharps.

For certainty about the ID of your bullet, check its body for 6-groove rifling marks, and check its diameter with a digital caliper.

I never get tired of reading the knowledge of the members here. I get on this topic mainly to learn from others. Thank you for sharing your knowledge!!!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread