Odd Drawer Pull

OhioMetalMaven

Nov 6, 2021
Western Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace Apex & Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this odd drawer pull in my yard - not sure if that’s what it is, but I’m calling it that. It was about 8” down. The face of the figure is unique. I’m not really sure what it represents.

Attachments

• EE762291-D5C9-4D5E-866B-0FDEC86F8976.jpeg
    EE762291-D5C9-4D5E-866B-0FDEC86F8976.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 192
  • 1E551565-2F29-4B32-BE69-1085E2EFAF04.jpeg
    1E551565-2F29-4B32-BE69-1085E2EFAF04.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 74
Upvote 12

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this odd drawer pull in my yard - not sure if that’s what it is, but I’m calling it that. It was about 8” down. The face of the figure is unique. I’m not really sure what it represents.
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

RedLeaf

Apr 13, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T Net, I was a Furniture maker & ran a restoration business for over 20 years, It is a Victorian pull, some were stamped brass, some were cast, I have seen many variations of this motif. If you look up Northwind drawer pull, or Gargoyle, Green Man, mythical drawer pull you will see ones like this. Very nice find, I always like to find Furniture related relics :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• north w.jpg
    north w.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 46
OP
OP
OhioMetalMaven

OhioMetalMaven

Nov 6, 2021
Western Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to T Net, I was a Furniture maker & ran a restoration business for over 20 years, It is a Victorian pull, some were stamped brass, some were cast, I have seen many variations of this motif. If you look up Northwind drawer pull, or Gargoyle, Green Man, mythical drawer pull you will see ones like this. Very nice find, I always like to find Furniture related relics :icon_thumleft:
Thank you for the info. I was wondering what the figure was.

OP
OP
OhioMetalMaven

OhioMetalMaven

Nov 6, 2021
Western Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You were spot on. I just searched the ones you suggested and it’s definitely one of those. Really cool. I have a thing for drawer pulls, hinges, and knobs. I’m a vintage/antiques dealer and I’ve collected some pretty hardware over the years. I’m excited to have an ID on this one for my collection. Why do you think it has wings? They resemble bat wings somewhat?

RedLeaf

Apr 13, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering the same thing about the wings...must be a gargoyle thing :dontknow: Finding relics in your own yard just adds to the fun. My Son is how I learned about T Net, when he was 12 we got him an inexpensive detector that I use now. He started finding 1700's coins in our yard & it was all over, he was hooked. He saved his $ & bought better machines & a pin pointer. There are 18th century pulls they call batwing pulls , but don't really resemble bat's wings, then there are some that resemble bat's. Furniture hardware is very diverse & interesting. Ohio is a good place to find furniture & furniture relics, also good place to find antique user grade hand tools. I studied furniture & design at University of Rio Grande in Gallia County, S.E Ohio.

Attachments

• bat.jpg
    bat.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread