✅ SOLVED Odd Metal Holder with Clay Marble In It?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 20220702_161812.jpg
    20220702_161812.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 96
  • 20220702_162101.jpg
    20220702_162101.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 61
  • 20220702_162046.jpg
    20220702_162046.jpg
    678.9 KB · Views: 64
Solution
It is indeed a towel holder, and shown upside down in the posted images. Patented by Claus E. Erickson in 1916:

Towel Holder.jpg

It won’t necessarily be as old as that and we would really need to see a patent date or renewal date on the item to say more about when it might have been made.

The C. E. Erickson Company was a plumbing and heating supplier (including accessories like this), with a six-storey manufacturing facility in Des Moines, Iowa known as the “Crane Building”, constructed in 1916.

If you Google “magic marble towel holder” you’ll see lots of modern holders using the same ‘captive ball’ principle to hold the towel in place, but generally made from wood with a glass marble as Lenrac says. Some sellers say it’s based on an...

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks to be a kitchen hanger from the 1920s, so as ticn & Len suggested, you could've hung just about anything from it. No idea why the marble is in there though, as it doesn't appear to serve any real purpose? :icon_scratch:

Upvote 3

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks to be a kitchen hanger from the 1920s, so as ticn & Len suggested, you could've hung just about anything from it. No idea why the marble is in there though, as it doesn't appear to serve any real purpose? :icon_scratch:
The marble is what holds the item firmly..As tnd said, you turn it over. When you push whatever you are holding up in it, the marble comes down behind it to hold it. I didn't know they had them back that far. Mine is newer with a glass marble.

Upvote 7

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is indeed a towel holder, and shown upside down in the posted images. Patented by Claus E. Erickson in 1916:

Towel Holder.jpg

It won’t necessarily be as old as that and we would really need to see a patent date or renewal date on the item to say more about when it might have been made.

The C. E. Erickson Company was a plumbing and heating supplier (including accessories like this), with a six-storey manufacturing facility in Des Moines, Iowa known as the “Crane Building”, constructed in 1916.

If you Google “magic marble towel holder” you’ll see lots of modern holders using the same ‘captive ball’ principle to hold the towel in place, but generally made from wood with a glass marble as Lenrac says. Some sellers say it’s based on an Amish design to avoid using a hook but I’m doubtful about that. The Amish had no objection to hooks as far as I know.

Upvote 13
Solution
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for your replies. Special thanks to Red-Coat for the patent information. I posted it here because I seem to remember someone years ago on here posting something similar. I remembered the marble mainly. Anyways, thanks again and enjoy your 4th of July.

Upvote 5

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread