Off brand coils

dvanommen

Greenie
Oct 27, 2021
East Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS-2A Pro
I'm fairly new to the hobby and own a Minelab Sovereign XS2A Pro detector I purchased on ebay a few years ago. The coil that came with the detector looks like a coiltek coil (mold patterns, case color) but has no identifying marks such as labels or serial number that I can use to verify its bona fides. It works, though, so I'm using it and finding coins!

My question: is there a performance difference that can be quantified between a legit coil (either from the detector's manufacturer or from a third party such as coiltek, detech, cors, etc) and a knockoff coil? Supposing the illegitimate coil works, does it work as well?

I don't have an issue with the performance of my machine, but I would like to increase my confidence in it. There's seemingly little information online I can find on this topic. Tons of resources on coil size, style, etc, but not much of anything on the way the coil is built and how that impacts performance. What are your thoughts on this?

Upvote 1

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One way to confirm the capability of your coil would be to test it against another manufacturer's coil on a test plot of buried targets. Contact your local Metal Detector store (hopefully one of TNets vendors) and see if they have a test plot and if they have others coils for your machine to try out.

OP
OP
D

dvanommen

Greenie
Oct 27, 2021
East Central Florida
Detector(s) used
One way to confirm the capability of your coil would be to test it against another manufacturer's coil on a test plot of buried targets. Contact your local Metal Detector store (hopefully one of TNets vendors) and see if they have a test plot and if they have others coils for your machine to try out.
Good idea! I live in East Central Florida, where beach detecting is pretty big, so I'm sure I'll be able to find some local stores.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Other coils can have advantages depending on their size, shape, and what you're trying to find. What type of detecting do you do?

OP
OP
D

dvanommen

Greenie
Oct 27, 2021
East Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Other coils can have advantages depending on their size, shape, and what you're trying to find. What type of detecting do you do?
I detect mostly on the beach for coins and jewelry. I'd love to detect inland by old houses and such, but haven't yet gained the courage to go ask!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the beach, I'd get the biggest coil you can find for your Sov. The extra coverage will increase your finds. I like the 15" NEL Attack coil if you can still find one for the Sov. It's the same coil as the one for the Excalibur, but, the Excal is hard wired, so, you'd have to get the correct connector installed on it if a Sov version isn't available.

OP
OP
D

dvanommen

Greenie
Oct 27, 2021
East Central Florida
Detector(s) used
For the beach, I'd get the biggest coil you can find for your Sov. The extra coverage will increase your finds. I like the 15" NEL Attack coil if you can still find one for the Sov. It's the same coil as the one for the Excalibur, but, the Excal is hard wired, so, you'd have to get the correct connector installed on it if a Sov version isn't available.
Thanks for the recommendation! I'll keep an eye out for one of those that will fit the sovereign! And check to see if my local shop has one. There's a Kellyco showroom only an hour away!

But what I'm really wondering is if I compare a 15" NEL Attack and some other 15" DD coil made by a less than reputable manufacturer (unknown, counterfeiter, anyone who would have poor quality control practices), how differently would they perform?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's one to find out! You can be the guinea pig, not me. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread