OFF on another adventure!!

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back on the road on the 10th.

AMEN, Canton, SD!
attachment.php

Spencer, IA (Last one, I promise!)
attachment.php

It has been raining or drizzle all day long. At least it keeps the temps down. NASTY weather in NE I heard. 90 mph winds!
Shutting down (2:30 pm) for the night in Clear Lake, IA. ╦╦C

Attachments

• Law.JPG
    Law.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 146
  • candy corn.JPG
    candy corn.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 150

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the great pictures Terry. Been to Devils Tower. The wife and I hiked the trail around the tower tight to the base. Story told that a sky diver parachuted to a landing on top. They left him there for three days. Can only imagine what the rescue bill would have been. Did Wall Drug also, but didn't pay $25 for breakfast. Be safe on your trip.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outside of Mason City, IA you can visit some antique tractors on display.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Tractor.JPG
    Tractor.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 122
OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On the 11th, I visited the Effigy Mounds National Monument at Marquette, IA.
attachment.php

Near the visitor center is a clump of three mounds.
attachment.php

The rest are located UP a long incline.

If you have trouble with walking inclines, this is not your kind of place.

Some neat stuff in the visitor's center.
attachment.php

attachment.php

After crossing the Mississippi,
attachment.php

I drove up to my cousin's in Hixton, WI.
I've been here overnight and will relax another.
I will then visit family in and around Milwaukee for the next few days. Catch ya'll on the other end..... ╦╦C

Attachments

• Effigy.JPG
    Effigy.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 135
  • 3mounds.JPG
    3mounds.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 141
  • points.JPG
    points.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 142
  • points2.JPG
    points2.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 140
  • Mississippi.JPG
    Mississippi.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 133
OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today is now the evening of the 13th. I am staying outside of Madison, WI. TRIVIA: The Madison campus of the University of Wisconsin was considered the most dangerous campus for presidents (during the 70's). The Weather Underground was the main reason. Remember the van that accidentally blew up next to one of its buildings? The rear axle was the largest piece found..... on top of the roof!

One of the hazards found on the SKINNY roads.
attachment.php

I could not stop in heavy traffic on US 12 to take a pic of an Amish horse and buggy going the other way. NEAT! ╦╦C

Attachments

• tractor.JPG
    tractor.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 124

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
I enjoy these old tractors. Thanks Terry.
Tom

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
Other
Terry, thanks for stopping by today!. I enjoyed your descriptions of your trip here, to Wisc.

Great stuff! I love Butch's log cabin. But the white Certinted Two Pane windows stand out. :)

Last edited:

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a BIG paw print!

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry, thanks for stopping by today!. I enjoyed your descriptions of your trip here, to Wisc.

Great stuff! I love Butch's log cabin. But the white Certinted Two Pane windows stand out. :)

I could not visit family in WI without stopping by YOU ! I will post your (our) pic later today. And catch up since The Effigy Mounds. Take care, my dear friend. Hi Karen and Alex! Terry

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let's catch up.

I stayed at a Cracker Barrel in Madison on the night of the 13th.

While there, a Navy dude gave me this bracelet.
attachment.php
It has all the military services represented and a few other tokens. NICE!

On the 14th, while driving to my brother Kevin's, I had to stop and take this pic.
At Wisconsin Electric (WE) west of Waukesha.
attachment.php

I found these signs to be EVERYWHERE in SE Wisconsin!

And then on to Tokameel's!
Tom, Alex, and Karen.
attachment.php

And yours truly
attachment.php

As you can see, Tom and Alex are physically challenged. I do not know how I could handle being in their situation. They are stronger men than I am!

I spent the 15th and 16th with my brother Kevin. Visited Kathryn and then Mike. Today is now the 17th. I spent the night in Woodstock, IL. Now on the way to cousin Steve in TN. ╦╦C

Attachments

• bracelet.JPG
    bracelet.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 108
  • badge.JPG
    badge.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 107
  • Tom.JPG
    Tom.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 112
  • Me and.JPG
    Me and.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 115
OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are following my route, I went south from the Milwaukee area to Lake Geneva. I crossed down into FLATLANDER COUNTRY (Illinois) and went south on IL 47 then east on US 24.

Sunflowers at Pingree Grove, IL
attachment.php

While fueling in Mazon, IL, Tom (another Vietnam Marine) approached me and we swapped lies about Vietnam.
attachment.php

You don't get these kind of encounters on the Big roads, only the Little roads. Thanks again, pepper.

Flatlander ATVs
attachment.php

attachment.php

Apparently, Gilman, IL had an Australian company make their traffic signs.
attachment.php

But I found a sign they did RIGHT!
attachment.php
GO GILMAN!!

It seems, by going south then east, I've run into the storm system that swept through WI a few days ago. I will shut it down in Remington, IN for the night. ╦╦C

Attachments

• sunflowers.JPG
    sunflowers.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 107
  • Mazon Tom.JPG
    Mazon Tom.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 101
  • ATV.JPG
    ATV.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 103
  • ATV2.JPG
    ATV2.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 105
  • Uturn.JPG
    Uturn.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 102
  • Gilman.JPG
    Gilman.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 108

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter/Sharp Shooter
You are in my neck of the woods! I have a cabin about four miles south of Hixton and live between Black River Falls and Melrose.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TerryC, I'm enjoying your posts as you travel across the county! Thanks for all the cool picture of friends and people you have met along the way. Keep it up!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Terry it looks like your seeing/visiting a great deal of the country.
Now that's a "Round up" of sprayers for sure.
Pretty sun flowers, I guess that's a nice change from seeing hay/corn for untold miles.

Now that sign brings back memories from driving the outback-when the 110 KPH signage had the big X through them.
Nice gift-will always bring a nice memory of the meet up that you had.

Yes the slow rural America are so much nicer than the fast routes.

Stay safe Terry in the travels

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Two draw-backs to traveling the back roads: First, by driving slow, as I do, I, by default, become the Grand Marshall to several parades! Not a draw-back for me, just those following me. Second, if I should have vehicle problems, a flat tire maybe, most of these roads don't have shoulders..... a very dangerous place to change a tire!

Speaking of parades, Greencastle, IN will have one today!
attachment.php

attachment.php

Because the parade will be down main street, I had to detour. I will stay here tonight.

For those following on the map, I am taking US 231 down from Remington, IN. I will take US 231 all the way down to Murfreesboro, TN then probably take US 41 closer in towards Birchwood, TN, my destination. ╦╦C

Attachments

• DSC02372.JPG
    DSC02372.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC02373.JPG
    DSC02373.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 94

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
Other
" As you can see, Tom and Alex are physically challenged. I do not know how I could handle being in their situation. They are stronger men than I am! "

Bologna. Terry, you suffer with more pains and service related injuries than I could ever endure.

Thank you for your service to America!
Tom

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
" As you can see, Tom and Alex are physically challenged. I do not know how I could handle being in their situation. They are stronger men than I am! "

Bologna. Terry, you suffer with more pains and service related injuries than I could ever endure.

Thank you for your service to America!
Tom

Thank you, Sir! I have found the REAL American spirit during my travels. American flags everywhere. Navy dude gave me a bracelet. A couple jumped out of the pick-up in front of me in Tomah, WI. I thought... trouble. No, they came back to shake my hand and thank me for my service. EVERYDAY of my adventure I get a thank you! There was a parade here in Greencastle earlier. I knew it was over because I saw THREE farm tractors go by sporting American flags! The American Spirit is alive and well in rural America! When I have time to burn, I will take the rural routes. CORN AND HAY EVERYDAY! ╦╦C

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spencer, IN.
attachment.php

Stopped for the night at Jasper, IN. ╦╦C

Attachments

• DSC02376.JPG
    DSC02376.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 74

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions