Officer's sword belt plate

faribo

Apr 13, 2007
Southern MN
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
AT Pro (when desperate)
I found this last April. I put it in the safe and then I could not find it until I went through the safe a couple weeks ago and found that it was under a bag of coins. I had looked for a year, trying to figure out where I had put it. I thought I surely must have been irresponsible and lost it. Turns out it was safe all along, only out of sight.

I was detecting the yard of a 1905 house in the original part of town. I was not having a lot of luck due to the high amount of trash and dog poop. The yard seriously had places where it was a turd per square foot. Fortunately this plate was in a spot where there was no poop. There was no grass and there was broken glass and scraps of metal of many sorts everywhere from over a century of occupation. (I think the back yard may have been filled with trash as fill 100 years ago.) Decades of use had worn the ground down to where the old stuff was becoming exposed. I suspect that when the next owner takes over, there is going to be a lot of black dirt moved in.
I was swinging in the back yard and heard a screaming high tone on my 800. It was shallow and I put my probe down and hit something about 2 1/2 inches down. I probed to the side of it and could not pop it out. I took the small trowel out of my bag and dug down beside it and popped it out. At first I thought it was just a kid's belt buckle. When I got home, I cleaned it up and the rest of the stuff from the day and set it aside. I laid it out on top of the trash can a while later and took some pics. After a few months, I asked what the folks on the Hoover boys FB page thought. They were excited. A few days ago I did a search here and discovered that I never showed the pics on this forum. I guess it is time to let you all see one of my coolest finds.

Attachments

• 4-24-2021 Model 1851 United States Army bronze sword belt plate stamped with the coat of arms ...JPG
    4-24-2021 Model 1851 United States Army bronze sword belt plate stamped with the coat of arms ...JPG
    984.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 4-24-2021 Model 1851 United States Army bronze sword belt plate stamped with the coat of arms ...JPG
    4-24-2021 Model 1851 United States Army bronze sword belt plate stamped with the coat of arms ...JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 46
  • 4-24-2021 (1).JPG
    4-24-2021 (1).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
Upvote 12

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very, very nice. I still have two gold coins I found lost in the house. I hid them from the carpet guys. I did a very good job of it, so don't feel bad.

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Very, very nice. I still have two gold coins I found lost in the house. I hid them from the carpet guys. I did a very good job of it, so don't feel bad.
The carpet guys may beg to differ ;)

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful plate and I can see why you put it in the safe.
I found my gold coin after a few years of looking.
Ended up in the storage of my shop.:dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread