Oh lord

chinman

Jan 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
at least there was no mention of the hobby or even the idea that you can still find these coins in circulation!

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just watched it!! SKUNKS

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have cable and can only watch older seasons of pawnstars on netflix. can you be more specific as to what they said?

OP
OP
conleytheking

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
Some guy brought in over 100k worth if silver. A bunch of large bars, one bar that was around 75lbs. And a huge bag of dimes, and a huge bag of quarters. Both of them looked like about 1k face value each.
Anyway. Rick let everyone know what year silver stopped, and how to rim check. Lol

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
bah why couldnt it be chum and he just offer the dude face for the silver coins, and tell america that guy was stupid thinking there was silver in them...

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most people don't even consider CRH a thought, especially when watching pawn stars.

Novapax

Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
ppl don't need pawnstars to know about this hobby..its all over youtube! :BangHead:

Isnt that the truth. I see there are people posting videos weekly of their finds from CRH. Makes me sick. This isnt a team sport! lol

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there is someone on this forum who advertises his CRH videos. I could be wrong.....

rex

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isnt that the truth. I see there are people posting videos weekly of their finds from CRH. Makes me sick. This isnt a team sport! lol
for what its worth,i asked one of the banks i visit if they would hold all the halves for me. the head teller said sure nobody else asks for them anyway. keep the faith.

santafeboy

Dec 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 1100
Let me guess Rick being the genorous guy that he is offered the guy 4x face value for the dimes and quarters?

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sorry, but anyone with -any- interest in coins can figure out coin roll hunting themselves, we're hardly doing a disservice to the hobby by posting it here. Nearly everyone has gotten a wheat penny in change, nearly everyone knows that coins were, at one time, made out of silver, it only takes a brief skimming of the Red Book or a quick Google search to figure out what the last dates were that were silver. When you find (or buy) silver, it is easy enough to see that the edges are different, and the hobby just continues from there. About the only things this forum tells is how to do it on a more industrial scale, something that most of us found by trial and error.

So no, this forum, YouTube, Pawn Stars, etc. are not doing the world a disservice by talking about CRH. Anyone with an interest can figure it out, the thing is, most don't have an interest in coins or CRH. Lets face it, how many people even look at their change? Let alone would want to get lots of coins and search through it.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sorry, but anyone with -any- interest in coins can figure out coin roll hunting themselves, we're hardly doing a disservice to the hobby by posting it here. Nearly everyone has gotten a wheat penny in change, nearly everyone knows that coins were, at one time, made out of silver, it only takes a brief skimming of the Red Book or a quick Google search to figure out what the last dates were that were silver. When you find (or buy) silver, it is easy enough to see that the edges are different, and the hobby just continues from there. About the only things this forum tells is how to do it on a more industrial scale, something that most of us found by trial and error.

So no, this forum, YouTube, Pawn Stars, etc. are not doing the world a disservice by talking about CRH. Anyone with an interest can figure it out, the thing is, most don't have an interest in coins or CRH. Lets face it, how many people even look at their change? Let alone would want to get lots of coins and search through it.

Well said, many people would rather go to a store and buy some shoes, phones, whatever than search change. That's why we will never change the hobby by posting youtube videos.

Patfoundit

May 13, 2011
Shelbyville,KY
Here is my two cents again. As I have said before, I'm also an avid hunter and fisherman. because I'm interested and in contact with other hunters, I hear about the 12 point buck that was killed in the next county. If I ask everybody that I came into contact with in one day, if they heard about the big buck that was killed. 99,9% of them would have never heard about it. It goes the same for any hobby. We all follow and keep up with what is going on in the medal detecting community. Those that have not a clue about metal detecting, wont even give it a second thought. I will be relic hunting until I'm too old to get out of the house, but I don't think it will ever be main stream. It takes commitment, research, patience and lots of hard work. That thins the heard real fast with new metal detector owners.

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nearly everyone knows that coins were, at one time, made out of silver

I'm going to disagree here. I went for four and a half decades of my life without having any knowledge of coins ever having had any intrinsic metal value. And I don't recall any conversations with my family or friends about any of this. I vaguely knew about people investing in precious metals; I was aware of coin collecting. But not the convergence of the two! Maybe I'm an anomaly, but I think it's actually more likely that my ignorance was typical of the majority. People just have full, busy lives, filled with advice on what products to buy and what stocks are hot, and they probably don't tuck away this kind of knowledge unless it's pounded into their head. What seems to obvious to us here, and now, is not obvious to most people.

(Actually this brings up an interesting tidbit. One of my favorite books is Replay by Ken Grimwood; I re-read it every few years. It's sort of like "Groundhog Day" but for a whole lifetime - this guy keeps finding himself back at his youth in the 1960's, with all knowledge of the life he had been living and what's going to come. Anyhow, there's a scene where he advises somebody to start accumulating 1964-and-earlier silver coins; he plans on telling them to sell just before the 1980 peak. The funny thing is, I had read this book multiple times over the last couple of decades, and it did not sink in at all. The scene wasn't something I remembered; it didn't make me start looking at the change I accumulated. But then my latest read, with the knowledge of silver I have now, of course I noticed it this time!)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread