Oh No, Another Newbie!!!

Hudlerock

Aug 10, 2022
Hi my name is Jeff. I live in Atwater, California. I am a double newbie. New to this site and new to MDing as well. I got my detector this past Christmas from my wife. It’s an “MD-840”. Hopefully I didn’t cause any eyes to roll. I figured I would practice up with this one, and upgrade later to a better one. If needed. I have not used it anywhere except in my front yard, only to find a total of 3 pennies, none of which were older than the 1980’s. But it was fun. I am 57 years old and have had MDing on my wish list and my bucket list for quite a few years now. This weekend, my family are going to Santa Cruz Saturday and Sunday. Yes I am taking my detector. Can anyone tell me the legalities of MDing on the beach there? Can I do it there without a permit? I don’t want any trouble for myself or future hunters. Any advice, do’s & don’t’s etc would be very much appreciated.
Thank You
Jeff

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi my name is Jeff. I live in Atwater, California. I am a double newbie. New to this site and new to MDing as well. I got my detector this past Christmas from my wife. It’s an “MD-840”. Hopefully I didn’t cause any eyes to roll. I figured I would practice up with this one, and upgrade later to a better one. If needed. I have not used it anywhere except in my front yard, only to find a total of 3 pennies, none of which were older than the 1980’s. But it was fun. I am 57 years old and have had MDing on my wish list and my bucket list for quite a few years now. This weekend, my family are going to Santa Cruz Saturday and Sunday. Yes I am taking my detector. Can anyone tell me the legalities of MDing on the beach there? Can I do it there without a permit? I don’t want any trouble for myself or future hunters. Any advice, do’s & don’t’s etc would be very much appreciated.
Thank You
Jeff
Welcome to TNet
You have a lot to learn about MDing and everything you dig up…!
I suggest watching YouTube videos on folks actually using that model of “machine”.
Most exhibit good digging techniques and ethics-get permission from land owners!
Guess what your target is then dig…, a good way to learn.
Have fun, but remember it is an addictive hobby!!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...I am a double newbie...Can anyone tell me the legalities of MDing on the beach there? Can I do it there without a permit?...
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Forum: California for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
Thank You
Jeff
Welcome and good luck. đź‘Ť

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You
Jeff
I'm from Atwater as well so greetings

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You
Jeff
Welcome Jeff!

Have fun this weekend in my hometown of Santa Cruz!!

The beaches are wide open to detecting, no permits or anything.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure hunting in general is a persistence game. You may experience beginner's luck at first but understand that in order to truly find the real treasures you have to dedicate an immense amount of time to the endeavor. The good news is this is a much better thing to do with one's spare time than pretty much anything else. You'll be outside in the fresh air getting excersize, alot of excersize. You will learn very fast just how physically taxing treasure hunting can be especially when you're "on a roll" and don't want to stop. You will motivate yourself to push on and persevere despite the fatigue you will feel, it becomes really fun. And then one day you will look down and you will see something shiny and say, "no way, it can't be," your heart will race and you'll be $1,000 richer or even more in a split second. Maybe gold, or diamonds, or a long lost artifact that you'd only seen in a museum before! Once you have this experience you will truly become addicted, and that's when the true fun really begins! Good luck hunting, and remember persistence is key!

Chiltepin

Sep 25, 2017
Southwest US
Detector(s) used
BH Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Other
" Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!
Jon from s/e Michigan 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the forum !

The learning curve in this hobby can be frustrating at times but it's also a lot of fun !
To make good finds on a fairly consistent basis in this hobby - you have to pay your dues.
You have a lot of firsts to look forward to - your first Wheat Cent - your first Silver coin - your first Gold Ring and best of all for a lot of us - the next oldest coin you've ever found !

Good Hunting !

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You
Jeff
Welcome to the forum. These people that gave you advice try what they say They are right on about detecting. If you can find someone close to you maybe they will take you under there wing and help ypou get started. Watching youtube is a very good idea. Do npot be afraid to asked for help on here. Good luck and KEEP POSTING !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread