Ohio Lance forms- Paleo to Late Archaic

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
There was an interesting post that brought up some of the Lanceolate forms from Ohio. Not as much scientific info in this thread, just some examples I have scattered around my collection. A hodgepodge of old and new pictures, eventually I’ll get the actual pieces sorted into some type of grouping.

I firmly believe that some of these are post-fluted point paleo items related to their name-brand western forms (Agate Basin, Angostura & Cody Complex), and I believe some of them are likely related to Early to Mid-Archaic or even later form more common in Missouri & Illinois, and then some are likely introductions or evolutions from the East that extend into the Late-Archaic or even more recent than that.

Maybe it’s anecdotal vs studied fact, but one of the unique things is that they are predominately made from one of the black cherts from Ohio or WV, even when found in areas where other flints are more common.

Please feel free to post any you have, or ideas about them.

FWIW- You'll probably see some edits to this thread. I am going to insert pictures, and then add some comments above the pictures that are comment worthy.

Upvote 8

ohiofinds 1

Jan 17, 2020
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joshua,I keep coming back to study your pictures.I have given these lanceolates a lot of thought over the years and believe that the different aged points have different traits.
Materials-Paleo-dark upper mercer Late Archaic-grey and tan cherts.
Grinding-Paleo basal and edge grinding common Late Archaic-very seldom ground.
Blade Shape-Paleo are narrower-Late archaic are wider
Caches- None in Paleo but fairly common in Late Archaic

The earlier points have a different flake scar pattern than the late archaic ones,which grade into weak shouldered early adenas.
Here is a photo of some early ones.The two in the center are ohio agate basins.
The agate basin on the right is unusual because it has beveled and serrated resharpening.
We found it in Pike county and the material is a black flint with dull luster that is not upper mercer.

Attachments

• DSC_6581.JPG
    DSC_6581.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 198

Greenie
Apr 5, 2020
Fort Pierce FL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the 1970's I found a 6" spear head fairly smooth hard white rock I think, not too sharp point, flat bottom, have seen similar ones called clovis points but they have a concave bottom. I found it on South Hutchinson Island after storms had left some shell mounds about 2 ft high and maybe 15' across on the beach. It was in the shells along with an old pewter or lead toy rifle about 3".

I loaned the point to the St Lucie County Historical Society Museum on S Beach Causeway Ft Pierce so they could display it with their indian collection, and they "lost" it. What a bummer, oh well, I just got my first detector, a nox 600 and will be going back there soon.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In the 1970's I found a 6" spear head fairly smooth hard white rock I think, not too sharp point, flat bottom, have seen similar ones called clovis points but they have a concave bottom. I found it on South Hutchinson Island after storms had left some shell mounds about 2 ft high and maybe 15' across on the beach. It was in the shells along with an old pewter or lead toy rifle about 3".

I loaned the point to the St Lucie County Historical Society Museum on S Beach Causeway Ft Pierce so they could display it with their indian collection, and they "lost" it. What a bummer, oh well, I just got my first detector, a nox 600 and will be going back there soon.
We have discussed several times on this site how many times museums have "lost" peoples artifacts. Someone had yours in a display somewhere. I would have loved to have seen it.

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Missed seeing your post before now -- not used to looking at the modern area.

Paleo-EA fingerprint, in my experience (such as it is) is high-angle flaking along one bottom edge of the base. You see this on no-brainer Ohio Lanceolates. If somebody wants to PM me their mailing address, I'll send him one to illustrate what I'm describing.

FWIW (little) -- http://www.christmasseals.net/store...union-township-2-78-two-paleo-lance-fragments

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
May as well toss this one (one half) into the pot. Found on a Plano era site on the Ohio-Michigan border near the Auglaize River that also produced a Crowfield (of Coshocton) and an Agate Basin of Burlington (both also broken discards) by Steve Worden. Material may be Nellie (marginal quality if Coshocton) except Hothem said Nellie patinates grey (?)

NB the beveled base edge, which is the first thing I'd look for when distinguishing the early Ohio Lanceolates from the many Late Archaic ones.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my main "frame" showing some of the variety, all Ohio. I probably have more color in this frame than would be normal in an typical collection of these, I've tried to get a few examples from other materials. Click the pictures and you should get a higher resolution picture.

View attachment 1816256

View attachment 1816257

View attachment 1816258

View attachment 1816259

View attachment 1816260

View attachment 1816265
Congratulations on your beautiful collection well done

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Older pictures of points I have.

View attachment 1816273

A could of decent stemmed ones.
View attachment 1816274

View attachment 1816275

The white one is from Illinois or Iowa, the rest are Ohio. The small flintridge piece was a personal find of Lar Hothem, I bought it at his auction. Not sure about the big one, it was in a small group. Could just be a later knife form, but it was in the picture...
View attachment 1816276

Some debate on this last one. I thought it was Archaic or Paleo, some pretty knowledgeable people think it's an Adena. Flint Ridge material.
View attachment 1816277

View attachment 1816278
What a beautiful point out west that would scream Paleo

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jlill

Oct 9, 2022
Central Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was an interesting post that brought up some of the Lanceolate forms from Ohio. Not as much scientific info in this thread, just some examples I have scattered around my collection. A hodgepodge of old and new pictures, eventually I’ll get the actual pieces sorted into some type of grouping.

I firmly believe that some of these are post-fluted point paleo items related to their name-brand western forms (Agate Basin, Angostura & Cody Complex), and I believe some of them are likely related to Early to Mid-Archaic or even later form more common in Missouri & Illinois, and then some are likely introductions or evolutions from the East that extend into the Late-Archaic or even more recent than that.

Maybe it’s anecdotal vs studied fact, but one of the unique things is that they are predominately made from one of the black cherts from Ohio or WV, even when found in areas where other flints are more common.

Please feel free to post any you have, or ideas about them.

FWIW- You'll probably see some edits to this thread. I am going to insert pictures, and then add some comments above the pictures that are comment worthy.
VERY NICE FINDS WHere in Ohio I am 20 Miles South East of Canton Ohio

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
are you in Ohio ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread