Ohio Sutlers Token

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out for a bit and decided to scout a farm where I’ve found Civil War relics. After about an hour I got a decent reading under some trees and found a pulled .69 caliber mini ball. I slowed down and next found a percussion cap and then a thin brass disk. I could see a 5 on the disc so I tucked it away and kept searching, but I didn’t find anything else. When I got home I tooth picked the disc and started to see writing. Turns out it’s a 5th Regiment Ohio Volunteers sutlers token. After some research, I read that the 5th Ohio fought in a lot of battles, including Gettysburg. I need to get back to that area soon….

Attachments

• 54F9CD81-06EC-4DF6-8B10-8DF04FAC6EE7.jpeg
    54F9CD81-06EC-4DF6-8B10-8DF04FAC6EE7.jpeg
    217.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 3717E7D1-D771-4A2A-8AE8-EBD4D7C1C54E.jpeg
    3717E7D1-D771-4A2A-8AE8-EBD4D7C1C54E.jpeg
    284 KB · Views: 31
Upvote 17

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out for a bit and decided to scout a farm where I’ve found Civil War relics. After about an hour I got a decent reading under some trees and found a pulled .69 caliber mini ball. I slowed down and next found a percussion cap and then a thin brass disk. I could see a 5 on the disc so I tucked it away and kept searching, but I didn’t find anything else. When I got home I tooth picked the disc and started to see writing. Turns out it’s a 5th Regiment Ohio Volunteers sutlers token. After some research, I read that the 5th Ohio fought in a lot of battles, including Gettysburg. I need to get back to that area soon….
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

OP
Fullstock

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find. sutler tokens are not a common find.
congrats
Thank you and you’re right, I don’t believe they are found very often.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Macro Legend, Simplex, Garrett Carrot, Predator Phoenix Shovel, Whites's hand digger, Gray Ghost pouch, Husky kneepads, any gloves I can find.......
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very nice save, love that token

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread