Oil Canvas

Jcb2020

Sep 25, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hubby found this interesting oil canvas painting today and we can't seem to find any information about it, nor make out the artists name. Help!? Does anyone know or can anyone make out who painted this? Thanks
20210925_193633.jpg
20210925_193657.jpg
20210925_192006.jpg
20210925_191835.jpg

Upvote 3

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

No idea on the artist but the "product mark" on the canvas is for the A. Schutzmann company and "Viktoria Maltuch" was a trade name for the type of canvas they sold. It was widely used by amateurs and professionals alike, both across Europe and beyond. Their factory was bombed out during WWII and rebuilt after the war in Herrsching, southwest of Munich. Since your stamp is for Herrsching, the painting will be post-war and likely no earlier than the 1950s.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
there is an artist with these names: Barbara Feldman, Wendy Feldman and quite a few others with that last name. The writing on frame side looks like Feldman to me. Just key in 'Feldman artist' in duckduckgo.com

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there is an artist with these names: Barbara Feldman, Wendy Feldman and quite a few others with that last name. The writing on frame side looks like Feldman to me. Just key in 'Feldman artist' in duckduckgo.com

I don't think so. The painting itself is artist-signed on the canvas. It looks like an intital 'M' followed by a surname beginning with 'L', possibly followed by an 'I' and some unreadable letters. I doubt this will turn out to be an established artist. There have been hundreds of amateur 'recreational' painters producing scenes like this over the years who have no particular credentials and aren't easily traced.

The hand-written words on the rear of the frame/stretcher appear to me to be a long word followed by a short word and then "Feldberg", which is a small town in the mountainous region of the Black Forest in Germany. I would expect that to be the title of the work, and probably in German. I can't match the words to any of the likely possibilities such as "View of Feldberg", "Landscape at Feldberg", "Slopes near Feldberg", or whatever, but I would think its says something like that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread